Add a mobile device

When I first started using Homeassistant I was able to see all the mobile devices which have the Homeassistant application installed (battery etc.).
One of these devices stopped showing up, so in an effort to follow multiple instructions, I removed all the devices from various locations including the integration, and mobile_app file. Now when I remove and re-install homeassistant on my devices, it simply picks up where it left off, connecting to HA but with no Mobile Entities or Devices. If I select all the permissions on the Sensors on the devices it just says yeap and doesn’t show them in HA.
Mobile App Integration simply states I need to add via HA on the mobile device.
Any suggestions?

Did you try the official instructions?

Sorry, I should have been more specific, I followed the official instructions in the link you provided, then I followed similar instructions such as: Removing old Mobile App device for team change - #5 by antoweb76
None of this has worked however, I’m thinking of starting the whole thing again from scratch, but it seems a bit extreme.

i am in the same boat when I install home assistant ap , it just jumps to working and does not ask any permissions , and no new device notifications to re-add my phone integration

I FIGURED IT OUT!

My wife recently went through a stint of getting 3 different phones in just as many weeks. Needless to say, there was a few extra phones listed in the Mobile App Integration.
I got a little punchy and deleted the one she actually wanted to keep. That was 3 months ago and I fixed it today.

The secret is to delete the phone’s old “Token” that is left in the users account.

Here’s what I did:

1. I deleted the app from the phone. (not sure if this is necessary, but its what worked for me)
  2. Login to Home Assistant using a web browser with the same user account that was used previously used on the phone.
  3. On the left side navigation bar at the bottom, click on the profile name.
  4. Scroll down to “Refresh Tokens” and delete all the tokens you can. These tokens are created everytime this user logs into Home Assistant with a device… one token per device. One token will be greyed out, this is the one for the device/web browser you are currently logged in from.
  5. Reinstall and open the app on the phone. It will try to connect to Home Assistant, but it’s token is gone so it should fail to login. If it logs right in, then you didn’t delete its token very well now did you…
  6. Click the link at the bottom of the screen to “Enter an address manually” or something like that and put in the details to your Home Assistant again.
  7. Re-Enter the username and password.
  8. It should prompt you to enter the devices name and ask if you want device tracking enabled. (I made sure to enter a better descriptive name that would not conflict with the previous device name to be safe)
  9. Thats it! Congrats, your device is now back in Home Assistant. Go celebrate in some appropriate way!
4 Likes

Of all my steps above, I think I found a far easier way to do this… Perhaps one of you would like to try it.

Since it seems to be that phones are added as devices in Home Assistant during Token creation… we must get rid of the Token that is attached to the phone.
My previous post involved manually deleting the token. I think this is automatically deleted if you choose to Log Out of the phone.

Can someone try to simply log out of Home Assistant on a phone that has had it’s device deleted, and then log back in to see if it’s re-created?

You log out by going into the Profile (click on profile name at bottom of navigation and scroll down to find “Log Out”
I bet when you log back in, HA will re-create your phone.

1 Like

Unfortunately, I read your original post first, so didn’t just log out of my phone. I did however, remove the token, left the app installed, tried to log on, failed (because I’m thorough like that), and logged on. It recreated my phone!
Thank you!

1 Like

I can confirm that logging out on my phone and logging back in on the same phone recreated the device in homeassistant.

4 Likes

me too: logout + login works perfectly :crossed_fingers:

1 Like

login out and in again did not solve it for me

I needed to delete tokens before logout and login.
But now everything works fine.
Thanks for sharing …

1 Like

I have tried numerous times uninstalling, deleting tokens,… but my phone (android 13) doesn’t get added.
It doesn’t get added to the home assistant on my office.
At home I also have a home assistant instance, and there my phone is added correctly.
Could it be that I can only add my phone to 1 HA instance.

On my phone, the HA app for home is the ‘Home Assistant’-app (v2023.6.0 full). The HA app for my office is ‘Assistant (v1.1)’
Does it have to do something with this?

1 Like

Logging out corrected it for me as well.

I just tried this and it works. Good call.