Add AppleTV to HASS

Great! :smile: Do you remember the more “exact” phrasing of the error message you got? Would be got for future references, since this will likely happen again.

Yeah, it was just “canceled” but in German. And I could only click on “ok”.
I have a screenshot at home, if this helps. :slight_smile:

Yes, screenshot would be good :smile:

Its not more.

Ah, I see it now. I missed the “auth” translation string. I will have to add that. Thanks for providing feedback :blush:

Hi everybody !

I succeeded to integrate my Apple TV in my interface, but no buttons are working…
only pause button (and not playing) works !

When a media is played:
ATV

As you can see, it’s not usable…
What do you think ?

thank you ! :slight_smile:

More information is needed, otherwise it’s impossible to say anything. What hardware device is it? What app are you using? Some apps only support certain commands (and provide limited metadata), so it might be that the app doesn’t support what you are trying to do (this is currently not reflected by the UI, but will be in the future). I can verify that if you provide some logs, which you can enable like this:

logger:
  logs:
    pyatv: debug
    custom_components.apple_tv: debug

I am having some issues with images depending on what app I use.

All apps show images just fine when connecting to the Apple TV through the native remote from iOS. So the apps should have opened correct for the images.
Issue is, that some apps have the image url under the Apple TV, but the image is only shown in Lovelace, if I manually open the url and afterwards reload Lovelace.
For other apps, the image url is not even present under the Apple TV entity. Even though the app seems to send the image correct to the native iOS remote.

Any ideas on what might be the issue?

That sounds like a bug to me. A theory I have is that the presence of artwork comes “a bit later” and does not trigger a state change, so Home Assistant never becomes aware of this and reports that artwork exists. It is a bi tricky to troubleshoot, but if you provide me with some logs I’ll have a look (log points are mentioned in my previous post).

I know there is a bug regarding the artwork, I will look into it soon. Probably tomorrow or so, it has been discussed in Apple TV component does not work on TVos 13

You should have received a log now. Hope it helps :blush:

1 Like

I have noticed that the Apple TV beta component stops responding, after changing the content a couple of times. It starts out a bit slow, but then gets slower and slower each time I change a channel in an app or start playing other content.
Currently, the component just seem to have frozen. I turned off the Apple TV, but it still says playing inside Hass. Won’t correct it self unless I restart Home Assistant.

There are quite a few reports similar to this open right now and I’m not sure why that is. It’s like no traffic seems to get through on the socket and it just “freezes” for some reason.

Alright. Let me know if you want me to test anything specific :blush:

Hi Pierre,

Tried to add your repo in home assistant. Went to Supervisor > Add on store. Then the 3 dots > Repositories. I copied the URL https://github.com/postlund/hass-atv-beta into the field and clicked on ‘add’. It added something with title ‘unknown’. It still does not work.

In the logs I get this error:

20-06-20 15:26:44 INFO (MainThread) [supervisor.store.git] Clone add-on https://github.com/postlund/hass-atv-beta repository
20-06-20 15:26:45 ERROR (MainThread) [supervisor.utils.json] Can’t read json from /data/addons/git/244a64f5/repository.json: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: ‘/data/addons/git/244a64f5/repository.json’
20-06-20 15:26:45 WARNING (MainThread) [supervisor.store.data] Can’t read repository information from /data/addons/git/244a64f5/repository.json

What did I do wrong?

Thx

It’s custom component, not an addon. You need to add it via HACS.

Hi,
I am running the last HA 0.118.3, is it should work with it ?

• I added it by HACS
  • I added appletv: to my configuration.yaml
    But nothing, no new services, no new entities
    Thank you

Go to settings --> integration --> add the appletv integration and follow the screen.

but delete the appletv: entry in your configuration.yaml first.

1 Like

Hmmm
The latest Apple TV 15.1 update broke my config

I am trying to add the integration but I keep getting this error ‘ Config flow could not be loaded’

I am running the Apple TV beta integration

Thanks!!

I made a mistake by including code that will be available in the next release of home assistant. Make sure you install version 1.6.0 and try again.

thanks, Pierre,

that worked!

1 Like