Add attribute to input_* helpers

I’m not that long to actually know the legacy here, but my understanding is that HA used to use attributes extensively – in the way you’re describing. BUT, attributes were considered cumbersome (to use? extract data? track?) and there was a move to split attributes to separate entities and “group” them into devices. I may be wrong here, anyway…

I don’t mind separate entities, but I still have a need for “grouping” them → hence I’d hope “devices” were much easier to work with in HA.

Check this out:

EDIT:

Actually, when I think about it, it makes sense to have separate entities – as each can have its own “attributes” (or: “metadata”) – like if the value is a temperature, the helper (entity) can have metadata that says that (and what unit) → while if it was just an attribute of a bigger entity, then we’d have to have a way to set “attributes on attributes” :slight_smile: