Add geolocation properties to entities / devices

It may sound odd at first, however most entities devices stays at a fix places, and would allow their rapid integration in a map or the house mapping.

It would also help with the detection and presence of other moving objects, so for instance a PIR has distance of detection and an angle of detection, movements can therefore be drawn and refine by triangulation. Applying this to all the entities would allow to have a unified presence detections which could be rather neat.

So we are talking about coordinates, altitude, orientation of detection, detection depth, detection.
This would be interesting to use with the different mesh networks and signal strength.

And what is the use case for this exactly? Why does my media player need a location? Or my switch for the dishwasher or my door sensors?

Also with the PIR, I don’t see a benefit from knowing where the PIR is. The PIR in the living room detects motion -> someone is in the living room. Even if I would know the exact position of the PIR, I would still only know that the PIR got triggered noting more.

1 Like

The ONLY possible use for something related to this is the location of the HA instance and updating for local time (difficult because that’s not just a longitude thing) and the sun.sun component.
For people on Boats/RV’s/Caravan’s etc.
But then the issue becomes how do you know what their watch is set to ?

1 Like

First thanks for the input.

I think there might be several.

The first for instance is creating your house map, with coordinates you detached the objects from floorplans, it would also allow to use 3D floorplans easily. What is more is that the floorplan can then be integrated on a map. The beauty of this is once position, you can change your floorplan without having to care. The zones could be made out of a volume, and would add the entities directly in the right zone.

That’s for the visual aspect.

The practical aspect comes with all the mesh networks zigbee, zwave where it would be possible to draw all the linking, signal strengths. This would allow to help certain setup where certain walls are breaking links, and where healing of networks is required.

Lastly I believe it would help with presence by using a number of different signal strength.
Let’s say that on one corner of the house you have a bluetooth sensor, and on the other side you have a wifi sensor. Your phone has both bluetooth and wifi you can then cross the two together. So in this scenario your pir is triggered, the bluetooth and wifi allows to determine that you just walked in the living room and will start the TV on your favorite channel :slight_smile:

In my case I have some PIR in my garden and some overlaps for instance.

You can already do this with the floorplan-card or with the picture-elements-card. like this your sensors etc. will be objects with their own icon etc. and you can change the floorplan however you like.

I don’t know about you, but I never change the position of my devices after I installed them and certainly not into a different room, so you set this up once and then only again when you move house and then you would also need to change the geocoded location for all devices with your approach.

I don’t think this is possible, for this the wifi sensor doesn’t update often enough and also the distance you get (if you are able to get it) from the bluetooth and wifi sensor will not be accurate enough for a scenario like this. But why not just put a PIR in the living room and when this PIR is triggered you entered the living room?

You can do presence detection on room level with room-assistant (I do this myself and posted a guide here in case you are interested).

Can you please describe this cae in detail? Probably there’s an easier solution that doesn’t require geocoded location :slight_smile: