[add-on] HassOS I2C Configurator

This should be working fine after the last HassOS update. Just uninstall and reinstall if it is already installed.

1 Like

This doesn’t work for me. I get permission denied when running
mount /dev/sda1 /tmp/mnt

Try uninstalling and reinstalling

1 Like

@adamoutler
after doing this it seemed to work for me. Not sure where your addon was failing. I tried uninstalling it and running again. I’m running on a m.2 SSD drive and did a restore snapshot from a SD install. Hopefully this isn’t going to cause issues as it’s not quite clear what files are included in the snapshot.

I’ll need to wipe my instance and try again fresh, I suppose.

I had the same issue as @Morphy. I disabled protection mode and rebooted several times, although the log still thinks it is in protection mode. I then used the document you had provided and tried to do it manually, however when trying to run the second command ‘mount /dev/mmcblk0p1 /tmp/mnt’ as root, I am receiving a permission denied error. Any guidance would be appreciated.

@bsp9493 pretty much explained this above.

To do it manually you need to edit config.txt on hassos-boot partition and add at the end:

dtparam=i2c_vc=on
dtparam=i2c_arm=on

You can edit this on Windows as it’s on the first boot partition of the SD card/USB drive.

BUT, you can’t edit the other file as it’s on hassos-overlay partition. You will need a Linux distro to do this. I used an Ubuntu Live USB stick and then mounted the partitions needed in Disks. Then in CMD do sudo nano /media/ubuntu/hassos-overlay/etc/modules-load.d/rpi-i2c.conf
Then add i2c-dev and save.

There is another way to do the hassos-overlay part by doing what bsp9493 said further up. Adding the folders and file described to the boot partition of the SD Card or USB drive and booting up. I don’t know if there are permissions issues doing it this way though.

@adamoutler, any chance there is going to be an update anytime soon so that this doesn’t have to be done manually? Unfortunately, I would have to spin up a Linux VM in order to do this. Fortunately, the passive cooling on this case is pretty incredible, and I’m still rarely going above 103 F

1 Like

Update pushed

uninstalled and reinstalled version 0.11a. hard-rebooted the pi 3 times, I’m still seeing an error in the log that says the following:
“mount: permission denied (are you root?)
Detected Protection Mode is enabled. Disable Protection Mode in Info Screen.
no mmcblk0p1 config found
This Configurator did it’s job. Perform a hard-power-off reboot now.
You will need to reboot twice total, once to place the files, and again to activate the I2C.”

Disable protection mode.

Sorry I should’ve specified that protection mode is disabled on the info page.

@adamoutler upgraded to version 0.12 today, rebooted twice, and that resolved the issue. Both the i2c and argon active cooling add-ons are working as expected now. Thank you

1 Like

Hi, may I know after each reboot, do I have to run the I2C addon again?

No. You may remove it when complete.

Ok, thanks. It’s working now.

Hi, I need some help. I could say that I followed your instructions but it does not work. So I checked the protocol from the HassOS I2C Configurator and found the following errors.

ls: /dev/i2c-1: No such file or directory
I don’t see I2C.
adding dtparam=i2c_vc=on to sda1 config.txt
adding dtparam=i2c_arm=on to sda1 config.txt
no sdb1 available
no mmcblk0p1 available

Any suggestions? Do you need more information?

Have you hard reboot 2 times after running add-on? it’s not enough to restart HA, you have to shut off and remove power then restart 2 times.

1 Like

Thank you very much! I think the step “to plug off power” was the important point.

And now, I have a very noisy fan :smiley: Is yours also noisy?

on default config, yes: i use quiet option of Argon addon, its a linear noise curve and didnt affect cooling much

1 Like