[add-on] HassOS I2C Configurator

Have you integrated an I2C DockerPi 4 Channel Relay HAT? How would you set up the configuration.yaml for the HAT?

Hey, sorry getting this in the logs, cant find i2c? Using argon one m.2 ssd

crw------- 1 root root 249, 0 Oct 12 16:24 watchdog0
crw-rw-rw- 1 root root 1, 5 Oct 12 16:24 zero
brw-rw---- 1 root disk 254, 0 Oct 12 16:24 zram0
brw-rw---- 1 root disk 254, 1 Oct 12 16:24 zram1
brw-rw---- 1 root disk 254, 2 Oct 12 16:24 zram2
I don’t see I2C.
mount: permission denied (are you root?)
Detected Protection Mode is enabled. Disable Protection Mode in Info Screen.
no sda1 config found
no sdb1 available
no mmcblk0p1 available
This Configurator did it’s job. Perform a hard-power-off reboot now.
You will need to reboot twice total, once to place the files, and again to activate the I2C.

Resolved! Didn’t see the protection mode button in add on screen. Thanks for making this, works perfectly!

Sounds like you need to reboot. I pulled the plug twice (after waiting for HA to load) and that sorted it

Hi,
Did you resolve this? I have the same issue. I have followed the official way by connecting screen and keyboard but it doesn’t work. I have tried ssh to host with port 22222, with this addon and by connecting screen and keyboard. Nothing acctivates the i2c.

I have a rpi 4 8 GB with the 64-bit version of home assistant installed on an m.2 SSD inserted into a Argon One m.2 case.

Thanks for your help!

Yes, I did. It’s a while ago already, but I believe I resolved it by disabling protection mode:

Oh,
Thank you!

I don’t understand why it doesn’t work when following the official method.

I will try what you suggested and hope it works.

Thank you!

Hi,

It didn´t work. I get this message.

Any ideas?

Never mind!
I re-installed the add-on and now it works!

Thank you!

1 Like

Hey I have that same Fan, did you get it to work with Leds and everything?

Hi, first thanks for all this work!
I’m starting with HA. I want to control I2C numerical potentiomèter.
I have do all steps and logs says all is good. But i don t know how to discover new I2C device in HA and how control them.
Thanks for this work.

I press Start after installing the addon and in the logs I only see:

s6-overlay-suexec: fatal: can only run as pid 1

What can I do?

Went with the official way, which worked perfectly:

Hi.
Same problem here.

It was working all. But after migration to ssd it failed and get error.

Cooling fan addon error . Could not find I2C Port, you must enable …etc etc . Okay no problem, enable again with the I2C config addon.

Go to addon: Hasio I2C config Addon
log error:
s6-overlay-suexec: fatal: can only run as pid 1

When I put in my old SD with HAssio. Then I2C is enabled and Fan Addon is working.
Put Back SSD with Same Backup. I2C is not found / need to enable.

Put in Boot Partition CONFIG → modules the needed txt file. en put the 2 needed lines in config.txt.

Hard Reboot 2x times (pull the plug). Put still I2C is not enabled. I can see that in SSH ls /dev. And I2C is not present.

Why This manual setup does not work? What I do Wrong?

I’m having the same issues as some other folks here: Argon1 with a SATA drive and I can no longer get i2c running. I can get the module running via modprobe, but the add-on dones’t set up i2c. It tells me it will be ready on the next boot but i2c doesn’t start up.

I got it working with the Argon One booting from a 1TB SATA SSD now by adding those three lines to /mnt/boot/config.txt

dtparam=i2c_arm=on
dtparam=i2s=on
dtparam=i2c1=on

No need for extra loading the module via /mnt/boot/CONFIG/modules/rpi-i2c.conf. Also it did not work adding those three lines to /mnt/boot/CONFIG/config.txt. I explicitly had to add them to the main config.txt

Settings initialized. Argon One Detected. Beginning monitor..
2022-06-22_19:34:46: 53C - Level 1 - Fan 0% (OFF)

@adamoutler1 thanks for the great add-on and your work! I highly appreciate it! :metal:

Finally, FINALLY got my i2c working. It looks like there’s an issue with boot sequence. I have USB stick with /CONFIG/ for dhcp setup, but having the rpi-i2c.config file in CONFIG/modules wasn’t working. lsmod wouldn’t show the i2c_dev module

Once I moved the rpi-i2c.config file to the modules-load.d directory then i2c worked on the next boot

I can not install it. When I add Repository there is no option to install.

1 Like

Sometimes it takes a bit. The only restrictions are that you have a raspberry pi. It wont’ work with any of the X86 raspberry pi clones.

@Sylwester try a cmd+r/ctrl+r after adding the repository (I had this).
if not there
Settings > add-ons > add-on store
scroll down it is below “official add-ons” but above “Home assistant community add-ons”