Adding components, need an easier guide for a noob

If you have any suggestions or things you don’t understand on my docs please let me know and I will try make it clearer. Also I’m going to put together a bit of a doc on YAML config files. Hopefully I can one day be allowed to update the main docs a bit just to fill in some missing information.

Just found this… thank you! Working on a custom_component and this is helping to fill in MANY missing pieces. I’ll be back with some questions, but want to publicly thank you and encourage you to keep doing this!!!

@horga83: Again, thank you for the guide. And thank you for the clarifications! I realized that my big confusion was caused by my usual thinking of hardware as a platform. Having one component makes perfect sense, it is one hardware component that registers across platforms. The flow diagram also really helped!

At this point, I suspect that I am going MQTT for all components. My server running HA is so misplaced, that I never expect to directly connect any devices to the HA-HW.

Thank you for documenting your experience with the development process. It has provided me with a better understanding of what’s involved to create and submit a new platform.

I noticed you name-dropped Pytomation. Were you directly involved in its development? I ask for selfish reasons because it supported Universal Powerline Bus (UPB) and I’d love to see it ported to Home Assistant. In order to realize this dream, I first have to learn how HA’s development process works and your documentation has been helpful.

FWIW, I’ve been using UPB lighting for nearly a decade and it has proven to be easy to configure and highly reliable (for me). My automation system is Premise Home Control which has an excellent UPB driver (not my invention but I have the source; ~5,000 lines of C++ code!) featuring auto-discovery, signal-strength monitoring, remote-programming, scene control, etc. However, for starters, I’d settle for a basic Home Assistant UPB platform that can just control power and brightness.

Yes I am directly involved with Pytomation although I didn’t write the UPB code, Jason Sharpee wrote that. I also don’t have any UPB stuff so writing a driver for it would be challenging indeed.

Pytomation is great as a platform, it doesn’t have the hardware support that HA has but it is really good for automation. I have been running it for years and it never fails me. I don’t really use a frontend for it although there is one.

I got involved with HA because I think it’s a great project and I like to keep learning. I will likely contribute to both platforms.

Hey all, so although this code works and everything in HA works, apparently I have done a few things incorrectly, what a surprise haha. So If you want to use something like this for your own, it works, if you want to get it accepted into HA things will have to change.

I am going to rework the code and then do a second take on the docs. I’ll post here when I’m done.

Cheers all

2 Likes

Thanks for your continued efforts… one suggestion to make things even clearer. Could you clearly indicated which functions are HA ones vs. functions found in pyW800rf32.

Any update? Would really like to see your revised documentation.

Hi yes I have refactored the code and am just waiting for the github pull request so it becomes a part of HA.

I will do a new page with the changes so the old one stays for the sake of history, but I will put a large header on the page pointing to the new version.

I have to go work on my son’s truck tomorrow so I don’t expect to get anything done until Thursday earliest.

1 Like

Looking forward to it!!!

I have refactored this, check it out, could use more comments likely and maybe a diagram or two.

Tiny update I added the unofficial switch code. It just make sense.