Adding iotawatt problem

Tom, please watch the video and see the other thread. I’m not arguing that MINE isn’t working, but you and the first response seem to be saying it isn’t possible. That video shows otherwise, again unless I’m fundamentally misunderstanding what I am seeing. If that is the case I need help to understand that what you guys are saying is impossible is something different than what is shown in the video.

Where are you putting that sensor template?

I’m putting it Dev tools/Template/Template editor just like in the video.

I edited my last post to make what I am asking for more clear and point out that I’m not arguing for the sake of arguing. I am admitting that i may be misunderstanding what I’m seeing

Yeah ok I understand now.

Have you created DotNetDann’s rest sensor the video talks about at 42:00? That is where the attributes for the template you use to generate the sensors comes from. This:

sensor:
  - platform: rest
    name: IoTaWatt
    json_attributes:
      - inputs
      - outputs
    resource: http://192.168.xxx.xxx/status?inputs=yes&outputs=yes
    value_template: '{{ value_json.inputs[0].Vrms }}v'
    scan_interval: 5

From here: https://github.com/DotNetDann/IoTaWatt/blob/c1fa9f1ca69b62c7bc21209e697cc85348edc25a/Example%20Home%20Assistant%20Configuration.yaml

Yes. Originally when I tried it, I had not and I got a slightly different error than the one I posted. I did some digging before starting this thread and found that the reason I was getting PART of the error was stuff wasn’t pre-existing. So I added the chunk of code that you just posted to my configuration.yaml and got it to the point it is throwing the error that I now have and put in my original post.

Apologies, I just re-read you original post and noticed you did mention creating the restful sensor.

In the template editor what is the result of pasting this:

{{ states.sensor.iotawatt.attributes }}

Nothing. No error like the other code though. Just a blank output.

Edit: DUH… I rolled my config back last night because I screwed everything up with a zwave thermostat. Putting rest sensor back in now… will reboot and try that again. Be back in a few.

1 Like

Well, your help and my rollback from last night showed me the ultimate cause of what was wrong and this tells you how green I am to home assistant…

When I had the rest sensor in there prior to my making this thread, it was the only sensor that I had other than a darksky weather sensor. My weather sensor kept dropping out and I thought that it was due to my HA instance losing internet connectivity. It wasn’t! It was due to me playing with the rest sensor.

Here is my initial stupidity/misconception. Every code snippet that I have seen always has sensor: or climate: etc in front of it. So every time I have added a new thing of that type I have added sensor: in front. When I only had my iotawatt and darkysky, everytime I dropped my iotawatt sensor in the configuration file it was killing my darksky sensor.

SOOOO… just now when I added my rest sensor back in, a WHOLE BUNCH of newly added items dropped off.

My whole issue was including sensor: in in multiple places. I couldn’t find it initially because I only had a few items in there and I was confused when it lost connectivity.

Long story short. Your test code now works as well as the initial piece that I pasted in. I now have EVERYTHING in HA.

THANK YOU. All I needed was a little push and some prodding with my severe green-ness! And thank you for taking time to watch the video instead of just saying it was impossible!!!

1 Like

I was a little too quick to think it was done. I assumed since the template built that the code would be perfect and the code contained all my sensors. But I’m getting an error in the yaml when I put the rest sensor together with the template into my configuration.yaml

Here is the whole thing. The error that I get when I run homeassistant check from command line is:
Successful config (partial)
sensor.template

But comparing output to other people, I can’t find anything wrong. It initially complained about missing single quotes. The jinja template generated the code without the single quote around the {{ and }}, but I found the issue and got past that one. But now I’m stuck on this.

name: iotawatt
    json_attributes:
      - inputs
      - outputs
    resource: http://192.168.1.247/status?inputs=yes&outputs=yes
    value_template: '{{ value_json.inputs[0].Vrms }}v'
    scan_interval: 5
  - platform: template
    sensors:
      iotawatt_input_1:
        value_template: '{{states.sensor.iotawatt.attributes.inputs[1].Watts}}'
        unit_of_measurement: Watts
      iotawatt_input_2:
        value_template: '{{states.sensor.iotawatt.attributes.inputs[2].Watts}}'
      iotawatt_input_3:
        value_template: '{{states.sensor.iotawatt.attributes.inputs[3].Watts}}'
      iotawatt_input_4:
        value_template: '{{states.sensor.iotawatt.attributes.inputs[4].Watts}}'
      iotawatt_input_5:
        value_template: '{{states.sensor.iotawatt.attributes.inputs[5].Watts}}'
      iotawatt_input_6:
        value_template: '{{states.sensor.iotawatt.attributes.inputs[6].Watts}}'
      iotawatt_input_7:
        value_template: '{{states.sensor.iotawatt.attributes.inputs[7].Watts}}'
      iotawatt_input_8:
        value_template: '{{states.sensor.iotawatt.attributes.inputs[8].Watts}}'
      iotawatt_input_9:
        value_template: '{{states.sensor.iotawatt.attributes.inputs[9].Watts}}'
      iotawatt_input_10:
        value_template: '{{states.sensor.iotawatt.attributes.inputs[10].Watts}}'
      iotawatt_input_11:
        value_template: '{{states.sensor.iotawatt.attributes.inputs[11].Watts}}'
      iotawatt_input_12:
        value_template: '{{states.sensor.iotawatt.attributes.inputs[12].Watts}}'
      iotawatt_input_13:
        value_template: '{{states.sensor.iotawatt.attributes.inputs[13].Watts}}'
      iotawatt_input_14:
        value_template: '{{states.sensor.iotawatt.attributes.inputs[14].Watts}}'
      iotawatt_output_aTotalUsage:
        value_template: '{{states.sensor.iotawatt.attributes.outputs[0].value}}'
      iotawatt_output_bEnviroTotal:
        value_template: '{{states.sensor.iotawatt.attributes.outputs[1].value}}'
      iotawatt_output_cWaterHeaterTot:
        value_template: '{{states.sensor.iotawatt.attributes.outputs[2].value}}'
      iotawatt_output_dDryer:
        value_template: '{{states.sensor.iotawatt.attributes.outputs[3].value}}'
      iotawatt_output_eDishwasher:
        value_template: '{{states.sensor.iotawatt.attributes.outputs[4].value}}'
      iotawatt_output_fStove:
        value_template: '{{states.sensor.iotawatt.attributes.outputs[5].value}}'
      iotawatt_output_gFreezer:
        value_template: '{{states.sensor.iotawatt.attributes.outputs[6].value}}'
      iotawatt_output_hComputerDesk:
        value_template: '{{states.sensor.iotawatt.attributes.outputs[7].value}}'
      iotawatt_output_iUnderHouse:
        value_template: '{{states.sensor.iotawatt.attributes.outputs[8].value}}'
      iotawatt_output_jRefrigerator:
        value_template: '{{states.sensor.iotawatt.attributes.outputs[9].value}}'
      iotawatt_output_kLivingRoom:
        value_template: '{{states.sensor.iotawatt.attributes.outputs[10].value}}'
      iotawatt_output_lKitchenCounter:
        value_template: '{{states.sensor.iotawatt.attributes.outputs[11].value}}'
      iotawatt_output_zUnMonitored:
        value_template: '{{states.sensor.iotawatt.attributes.outputs[12].value}}'

What are you stuck on? It looks OK.

At the end of that last post where I put in my whole bit of code, it is not working. I keep a constant error about a sensor. The error gives no line number and I see nothing that looks out of place like a type. But yet it is still complaining about an error with a sensor in configuration.yaml.

I am using the following template to obtain data from my iotawatt, it might help you with your template(s).

iotawatt_freq:
      friendly_name: IotaWatt Frequency
      entity_id: sensor.iotawatt
      unit_of_measurement: Hz
      availability_template: >-
        {% if states('sensor.iotawatt') == "unknown" %}
          false
        {% else %}
          true
        {% endif %}
      value_template: >-
        {% if states('sensor.iotawatt') == "unknown" %}
        {% else %}
          {{ states.sensor.iotawatt.attributes["stats"]["frequency"]|float|round(2) }}
        {% endif %}

I would recommend running your own instance of emoncms, and integrating both iotawatt and HA to that.

Its just easier all round :slight_smile:

I couldn’t let this go so I’ve been fiddling with influxdb and creating sensors from my iotawatt export.

I’ve set up my iotawatt to publish to influxDB with the following tags:

device	$device	(uniquely identifies this device)
entity_id	$name	
unit	$units

Then I read latest value in HomeAssistant as a rest sensor:

sensor:
    name: IoTaWatt
    resource: 'http://192.168.1.2:8086/query?db=iotawatt&q=SELECT%20last(value)%20FROM%20Watts%20WHERE%20time%20>%20NOW()-10m%20GROUP%20BY%20entity_id'
    value_template: 'OK'
    json_attributes:
      - results

This creates a sensor with all the states in the results attribute. To check that everything worked go to http://hassio.local/developer-tools/template and paste:

{% for row in state_attr("sensor.iotawatt", "results")[0]["series"] -%}
{{ row["tags"]["entity_id"] }} {{ row["values"][0][1] | float }}
{% endfor -%}

In my setup it generates this:

Bathroom 231.41
Bedroom_1 0.0
Bedroom_2 0.01
Dishwasher 0.0
Fridge 23.23
Inverter 328.49
Kitchen 66.41
Living_room 138.22
Total 838.77
VVB 0.0
Washer 51.01

To generate yaml configuration paste the code below in the template editor:

sensor:
    sensors:
{%- for row in state_attr("sensor.iotawatt", "results")[0]["series"] %}
      iotawatt_input_{{ row['tags']['entity_id'].lower() }}:
        value_template: '
{{- '{% for row in state_attr("sensor.iotawatt", "results")[0]["series"] -%}' }} 
{{- '{{% if row["tags"]["entity_id"] == "{}" -%}}'.format(row['tags']['entity_id']) }}
{{- '{{ row["values"][0][1] | float }}{% endif -%}{% endfor -%}' }}'
        unit_of_measurement: W
        device_class: power
        friendly_name_template: '{{ row["tags"]["entity_id"].replace("_", " ") }}'
{%- endfor %}

In my setup I get this:

sensor:
    sensors:
      iotawatt_input_bathroom:
        value_template: '{% for row in state_attr("sensor.iotawatt", "results")[0]["series"] -%}{% if row["tags"]["entity_id"] == "Bathroom" -%}{{ row["values"][0][1] | float }}{% endif -%}{% endfor -%}'
        friendly_name: 'Bathroom'
      iotawatt_input_bedroom_1:
        value_template: '{% for row in state_attr("sensor.iotawatt", "results")[0]["series"] -%}{% if row["tags"]["entity_id"] == "Bedroom_1" -%}{{ row["values"][0][1] | float }}{% endif -%}{% endfor -%}'
        friendly_name: 'Bedroom 1'

The for row in .. is there as I don’t trust InfluxDB to always return the same order.

Good luck! ::slight_smile:

Fredrik/all,

Wondering if you can help, I just purchased, installed, and hooked up an IoTaWatt box to Influx. I’m also using Influx to store my long-term Home Assistant data. I tried following your instructions but have hit a wall.

I’ve setup the same tags as you in IoTaWatt.

But then when trying to pull data from Influx using the rest code it returned no results:

http://192.168.1.7:8086/query?db=IotaWatt&q=SELECT%20last(value)%20FROM%20Watts%20WHERE%20time%20%3E%20NOW()-10m%20GROUP%20BY%20entity_id

returns

{"results":[{"statement_id":0}]}

However, if I modify the rest call to this I do get results:

http://192.168.1.7:8086/query?db=IoTaWatt&q=SELECT%20last(%22Watts%22)%20FROM%20%22IotaWatt%22.%22autogen%22.%22iotawatt%22%20WHERE%20time%20%3E%20NOW()-10m%20GROUP%20BY%20entity_id

producing:

{"results":[{"statement_id":0,"series":[{"name":"iotawatt","tags":{"entity_id":"ac"},"columns":["time","last"],"values":[["2020-08-14T11:05:40Z",1740.58]]},{"name":"iotawatt","tags":{"entity_id":"consumption"},"columns":["time","last"],"values":[["2020-08-14T11:05:40Z",2552.91]]},{"name":"iotawatt","tags":{"entity_id":"front_power"},"columns":["time","last"],"values":[["2020-08-14T11:05:40Z",339.12]]},{"name":"iotawatt","tags":{"entity_id":"hob"},"columns":["time","last"],"values":[["2020-08-14T11:05:40Z",0]]},{"name":"iotawatt","tags":{"entity_id":"hotwater"},"columns":["time","last"],"values":[["2020-08-14T11:05:40Z",25.66]]},{"name":"iotawatt","tags":{"entity_id":"house_lights"},"columns":["time","last"],"values":[["2020-08-14T11:05:40Z",276.69]]},{"name":"iotawatt","tags":{"entity_id":"lights"},"columns":["time","last"],"values":[["2020-08-14T11:05:40Z",82.64]]},{"name":"iotawatt","tags":{"entity_id":"mains"},"columns":["time","last"],"values":[["2020-08-14T11:05:40Z",2552]]},{"name":"iotawatt","tags":{"entity_id":"oven"},"columns":["time","last"],"values":[["2020-08-14T11:05:40Z",0.01]]},{"name":"iotawatt","tags":{"entity_id":"pool"},"columns":["time","last"],"values":[["2020-08-14T11:05:40Z",0.7]]},{"name":"iotawatt","tags":{"entity_id":"solar"},"columns":["time","last"],"values":[["2020-08-14T11:05:40Z",0.91]]}]}]}

I then created the sensor.iotawatt using the code abave, the senor is created but on checking the attributes on developer-tools/template I get the following:

Error rendering template: UndefinedError: None has no element 0

Can you spot what silly mistake I’ve made?

Thanks,
Eoin

Can you show the output from:

{{state_attr("sensor.iotawatt", "results")}} 

And if that works:

{{ state_attr("sensor.iotawatt", "results")[0]["series"] }} 

It’s amazing what a good night’s sleep does. It was an authentication issue on the rest call when creating the sensor! I know the rest call was working as it worked in the browser, when I re-tested in the browser this morning and it prompted me for a user/pass I had a lightbulb moment :slight_smile:

Thank you for your help.

1 Like

Eion, how did you configure rest for user/pass ? i suspect this is my current issue. I did set a admin password in the IOTAWATT device.

My issue was with the REST call to Influx not into IOTAWatt. Here’s my sensor code:

name: iotawatt
    resource: 'http://192.168.1.7:8086/query?db=IoTaWatt&q=SELECT%20last(%22Watts%22)%20FROM%20%22IotaWatt%22.%22autogen%22.%22iotawatt%22%20WHERE%20time%20%3E%20NOW()-10m%20GROUP%20BY%20entity_id'
    username:<Username>
    password: <Password>
    authentication: basic
    value_template: 'OK'
    json_attributes:
      - results

THANKS Eoin.