Adding Support for Nest Hello to the current Nest Component

It’s been working for me since 0.66 I believe.

ok good to know! I must have missed it in the release notes! Thanks

I didn’t see anything in the release notes about it either, it just showed up!

1 Like

Anyone who’s done this, is there an event that fires in HASS when the Nest Hello doorbell is rung, or motion? I’ve currently got the Ring, but am looking to move to Nest Hello soon, but what I like about the ring is that when the doorbell is rung, it triggers an automation in HASS to pause the music in the house for example

No. Nest API exposure it as a normal camera.

Hi guys, is there any update of the Nest API to expose the ring event?

Nothing. Nest SDK stopped update since May. I guess they are busy working on rebrand themselves to Google.

Thanks @awarecan.

Indeed I wanted to create a very simple automation: play a sound on my Google Home devices when someone rings the doorbell.

This is possible with the native Nest - Google integration but it always says “there is someone at the door” after playing the default ring sound. It is awkward, especially if audible from outside the house!

Is it just me or the most basic integration is missing?

+1 on this one.

A simple automation while I’m not home to have the lights turn on when the doorbell rings would be nice.

Read a post on another site where someone used tasker to read the notifications it receives on the phone. If the notification comes from Nest and says “Jane is at the front door”, he’d use tasker to then start up an automation. In his case, he unlocked his smart door lock. I don’t love the solution since it’s dependent on a mobile phone, but if it’s the only option it’s better than nothing. For me, I’m thinking about adding a wall tablet alarm panel and can make that be the station that receives and reads the notifications and kicks off the automation trigger, since it’s stationary and would always be plugged in. He was using SmartThings though and the delay was about 3 seconds. Hoping that with HA it might be more instant since it runs locally.

Is there any progress on the Nest Hello integration in Home Assistant? Is the face recognition feature available in HA?

You can do it by yourself, but not using the data coming from Nest since they are not opening them to us. I don’t think they will open.

Hi All. I am considering to buy a nest hello.
(decision not yet made. I could be persuaded to Ring or Netatmo - @brettyj why are you planning to move away from Ring?)

Please can anyone reply back with what IS and what is NOT supported for next hello in HA as of 0.89?

Also did any see any comparison of the common smart door bells from perspective of support in HASS?
I have seen lots of generic comparisons (from which I drew the conclusion that I will go with a nest hello) but I cant see anything with regard to HASS.

TIA for the help!

+1, we really need a simple binary sensor, just like the Ring doorbells have by default in HA, in order to do automations when someone rings the doorbell.

1 Like

Hi Everyone - have there been any updates on this?

Did somebody made some progress to get some binary sensor (or something) when somebody pressed the hello button?
I want to make a node-red to flash some lights when somebody presses this button (instead of some music playing over the Google home’s )

@TheCosmicGate Nest Hello doorbell - detect button press via relay

The relay method is a workaround instead of native integration. Think we’re still waiting for the button press to be available in an API.

Used this indeed for now. Combined this with esphome and it works . But still strange that the API isn’t open enough to use/integrate this

Can you please tell me more about this, what exactly does the esphome do?
Do you have a manual for the Nest Doorbell