Additional Info in Logbook - what and called triggered something

I’ve increasingly discovered love for the logbook, especially when remote. I don’t have everything in a dashboard (because I don’t need it most of the time) but the logbook is a good means of checking up on stuff. As a new user I didn’t experience it before what I believe was a significant refactoring a few releases ago.

My suggestion is to add a bit more detail into, this is supporting increasingly complex automations and scripts I’m producing. I believe the triggered by [user] is a newish enhancement and am suggesting building this out further.

What I’ll love to see is for each entry in the logbook; what triggered it (what it is and what its called). So this could be a simple User – Mike (as is) but when I’ve automations that call scripts that hit devices sometimes tracking through the logbook is harder than it could be, especially when you’ve got users triggering things and possibly automations running concurrently.

To illustrate the idea, imagine I have an automation that turns off some nightlights at dawn. The automation calls a script, and script in turns calls the lights (in this case times two). The current logbook tracks all these individual actions but I don’t know that an individual nightlight was turned off by the script from the automation or if one of the kids did it (yes you can deduce it based on timing and the user tag but you get the idea). Factor this up by multiple scripts per automation, multiple actions per script and hopefully you’ll understand what I’m proposing. (with the support of Excel!)

I’d love to be able to contribute and do this myself but (currently) lack the skills to do so, so putting this out there as an idea to see if there is any support for it and a sponsor who could help make it real.

Found this in WTH, guess that covers it…