Addons for Docker installation

Hi there,

Future possible user here.
First thing I do when I want to test something, is run it as a container. That way I can isolate its behaviour.

Looking at the discussion from the begining, Let me clarify what I understood:
There are several ways to install Home assistant which are described in this matrix: Installation - Home Assistant

Adds on are not available on container installation by design purpose, choice of the dev team, not a technical blocker.
If you want to use adds-ons features, you will have to install those 3rd party software yourself and maintain the integration with HA.

So for example, if I want some MQTT broker adds-on, i will have to install myself some mosquito or rabbitmq and manage myself the configuration with HA.

Home assistant dev team does not maintain a repository of adds-on under the form of docker-compose files (could be simply documentation page) with let say 2 services, HA + 3rd party service with all the required configuration (volumes, ports, secrets, env variable, etc…).

And there are no intention to do so, by choice.

Did I capture that right ?

3 Likes

Correct

Correct, though those aren’t add-ons … add-ons are only the special container images for Home Assistant OS’s Supervisor.

Correct, but there’s absolutely nothing stopping somebody starting a forum (wiki) post here to capture all that, rather than expecting the devs to do it :wink:

I would say though that (at least) 99.9% of the configuration for any container is unrelated to Home Assistant. The way that (say) Mosquitto is configured is the same no matter what.

So is there already a wiki or forum or similar that explains how to add an add-on to Home Assistant Container?

I have experience with multiple docker compose stacks running side-by-side on my server, proxying everything through traefik, connected through wireguard to my home. I was able to run Home Assistant on a remote server and it still can control my home through VPN. It’s very nice.
But I just need a starting point on how to integrate some add-on in HA, basically the stuff the Supervisor does. I already tried to integrate Grafana but I don’t know how to integrate a single dashboards/panel or even the normal UI because cross-origin problems or issues with disallowed iframes I guess. And how to add SSO authentication is also a mystery.
Isn’t there at least one how-to describing it step by step for some popular add-on?

As the OP said already in the beginning of this thread I also had no idea there are add-ons that can be installed by one click until I found out that it is not possible with HA Container which made me sad. And after all this time there still seems to be no documentation on how to install add-ons properly.

Getting a Grafana dashboard on your Lovelace dashboards is not easy, not even with the add-on. And still needs routing through my separate (non-addon) nginx to work.

In a container environment, you can use GitHub - lovelylain/hass_ingress: Home Assistant ingress feature, add additional ingress panels to your Home Assistant frontend. to integrate functions into HA. It provides several working modes. work_mode:ingress provides services in the form of sub-paths on the same site, which can avoid cross-site problem, but not all services support this mode; for those that do not support it, you can use nginx to assign different domain names and filter out cross-site restrictions, and then use work_mode:auth to implement SSO auth. You will find that the configuration steps are relatively complicated. The function of addons is to simplify the configuration and make it easy to use.

In short, no. Because add-ons (almost always) need the Supervisor.

There’s a few that also work with Docker, and their own documents cover that.

No

What you need to do is start a fresh topic with your exact problem - eg how to embed Grafana dashboards in the HA UI and then people can help you.