ADT Pulse integration

So first off thanks. I’m new to HA and this was my project I wanted to get running.

I was able to get all of the sensors using the guide. What do you all do about the Z Wave Add Ons? I have 2 Thermostats and a Schlage Deadbolt connected.

You should be using separate integrations for those, assuming you can connect to them directly. If they’re paired to your ADT system, then right now you won’t be able to use them with Home Assistant.

I have a similar problem because I had ADT install a garage door sensor and opener. That worked fine using the ADT Pulse MQTT integration, but does not work with this one. I suspect this integration is only working with motion detectors, open/close sensors, and the alarm arming/disarming.

Gotcha. I was being lazy. I ended up getting an Aeotec Z Stick and pairing 2 thermostats and 2 locks with it. For the garage I added a MyQ hub.

Ok, I give up and am asking for help… I’m newish to HASS so I’m not used to the “old” config style editing for setting things up.

I have tried setting up both the MQTT version and the one through HACS.

I’ll start with the HACS one because that looks simpler -
So I have it installed and I have the login details added to the config and it validates ok. What do I do next? How do I get the control panel/ sensor entities to show up? I’ve rebooted several times, do I need to put something more in the config?

MQTT version -
I think I have the mqtt part setup and when I go to hit star, in that add-ons log I get this result.
Any Ideas? or do you need additional logs?

[s6-init] making user provided files available at /var/run/s6/etc...exited 0.
[s6-init] ensuring user provided files have correct perms...exited 0.
[fix-attrs.d] applying ownership & permissions fixes...
[fix-attrs.d] done.
[cont-init.d] executing container initialization scripts...
[cont-init.d] done.
[services.d] starting services
[services.d] done.
> [email protected] start /usr/src/app
> node server.js
/usr/src/app/node_modules/mqtt/lib/connect/index.js:64
      throw new Error('Missing protocol')
      ^
Error: Missing protocol
    at new connect (/usr/src/app/node_modules/mqtt/lib/connect/index.js:64:13)
    at Object.<anonymous> (/usr/src/app/server.js:9:17)
    at Module._compile (internal/modules/cjs/loader.js:1138:30)
    at Object.Module._extensions..js (internal/modules/cjs/loader.js:1158:10)
    at Module.load (internal/modules/cjs/loader.js:986:32)
    at Function.Module._load (internal/modules/cjs/loader.js:879:14)
    at Function.executeUserEntryPoint [as runMain] (internal/modules/run_main.js:71:12)
    at internal/main/run_main_module.js:17:47
npm ERR! code ELIFECYCLE
npm ERR! errno 1
npm ERR! [email protected] start: `node server.js`
npm ERR! Exit status 1
npm ERR! 
npm ERR! Failed at the [email protected] start script.
npm ERR! This is probably not a problem with npm. There is likely additional logging output above.
npm ERR! A complete log of this run can be found in:
npm ERR!     /root/.npm/_logs/2020-07-25T04_13_43_118Z-debug.log
[cmd] /run.sh exited 1
[cont-finish.d] executing container finish scripts...
[cont-finish.d] done.
[s6-finish] waiting for services.
[s6-finish] sending all processes the TERM signal.

Thanks for ANY help, I’ve read through this thread and tried some of the things but I can’t quite get it to cooperate.

I think the biggest thing is once you get the config pointing to the mqtt broker, you have to add devices as a sensor. You can do a MQTT scan and subscribe to the topic adt/# and things should start showing up. It polls every 5 mins so it may not show automatically.

Once you know the format of your topic, you set up your sensors. Mine were binary sensors and look like this:

• platform: mqtt
    name: “1st FL Motion”
    state_topic: “adt/zone/1ST FL MOTION/state”
    unique_id: ‘1ST FL MOTION’
    payload_on: “devStatMotion”
    payload_off: “devStatOK”
    device_class: motion

This looks to be be a problem with your config. The mqtt_url entry is optional and only necessary if you want to customize how it connects to MQTT (such as using ssl). You should be able to leave it empty and only use mqtt_host along with username and password.

If that doesn’t help, please post your redacted config or open an issue on github for more assistance with getting it to work.

Ah! That would be it! I actually kind of figured that out just before I logged on here.

I had thought the mqtt_url was required. I ended up figuring out that just putting the ip in of x.x.x.x wasn’t working but if I put mqtt://x.x.x.x then it was happy…

Thanks for the help!

FYI, I had been using @ryans HACS version of the ADT pulse integration and it had been working perfectly for the last few months. Last week I received a phone call from ADT stating that they flagged my account due to excessive logins that they quote “was overloading their servers.” They asked if i was using a plug-in to HA and asked me to immediately discontinue it’s use. The very next day my login was disabled and I was no longer able to log in to the ADT pulse portal either via the web or the app on my phone. I’ve since dropped ADT and moved to SimpliSafe but just throwing this out there for other users as it seems like it’s just a matter of time before it catches other users out.

1 Like

I’m not surprised about their attitude. I didn’t face this but I dumped ADT for Ring recently. Paying less and getting much better features/service.
Everything is fully plugged to Home Assistant. Can’t complain.

Very interesting.

Users can change the scan_interval as well to be higher (e.g. 5 minutes). We defaulted to a lower scan interval several months back to match the interval used by MQTT ADT integration since some users complained about the longer intervals between updates from their sensors.

If it’s logins they are looking at, the refresh interval may not be the issue. Despite the MQTT plugin running continuously and updating status, I only see a login event in the ADT portal history page about every 6 hours.

Before switching from AJAX calls to the orb/html parsing method, I remember seeing login events on every update. Now it seems to hold hold onto the session until it expires after 6 hours then logins in again.

Anyone still having luck with this integration? I just tried it last night and after integration attempting to log in about 10 times the site now jus says Blocked when I try to actually navigate to it. When accessing the same site on my phone off Wifi the site works. Looks like they blocked my IP address.

Two comments: I installed this add-on and it worked perfectly until I added my 2nd home to the ADT Pulse account. When I did that my HA logs told me, “Hey this add-on doesn’t support multiple homes on the same account yet!”. So, I uninstalled the add-on through HACS yet in my lovelace UI I still have the alarm card that offers me a chance to arm/disarm the system. How do I get rid of this card if I’ve already uninstalled the add-on through HACS?

Also: I’m interested in multi-home support for this add-on. If there’s someone willing to tackle this, I have time to contribute to testing and two full instances of HA running in two separate houses to help. I’m also willing to commit dollars if that’s what it takes!

Announcement

If you are using the ADT Pulse MQTT add-on, it’s been moved to it’s own organization. You should add the new add-on repository location (https://github.com/adt-pulse-mqtt/hassio) to the Home Assistant add-on store in Supervisor to see new versions. If you are using the Docker images directly, they have been moved to https://hub.docker.com/u/adtpulsemqtt.

I’m trying to install this integration but when following the instructions I don’t see any “fingerprint” showing up in the developer tool logs in Chrome when I sign in.

Anyone have this type of issue before and how did you resolve it?

Thanks.

Have you enabled 2FA on your ADT Pulse account?

It is by default now. I did it with receiving a text message. Do you need to force it to be 2-factor all the time? The way it is set up I get the text message for 2-factor whenever a new device is used.

The fingerprint should show up when you have logged in using 2FA and saved the browser for future logins.

Are these the instructions you followed?

1. Open a Chrome browser tab
  2. Open Developer Tools (using ViewDeveloperDeveloper Tools menu)
  3. Click on the Network tab (make sure Preserve log checkbox is checked)
  4. In the filter box, enter signin.jsp
  5. Go to ADT Pulse Portal (https://portal.adtpulse.com) and login to your account
  6. Click on the network call (beginning with signin.jsp) appearing in the DevTools window
  7. In the Headers tab, under Form Data, copy the entire fingerprint (after fingerprint:, do not include spaces)
1 Like

Yes, exactly. I even did it a second time using a different computer that I had to authenticate. No where does the fingerprint show up in the developer tools menu. It has 2 items that have signin.jsp and I looked in both of them.

I’m having problems adding the binary sensors from this integration into a group. Unfortunately, the group status is rendering as ‘unknown’:

Here is my groups.yaml file:

When I combine the Binary Sensors using a template I get the correct result:

Here is the template:

I think groups may not be working due to some transformation this integration is making. Does anyone know how to get groups to render the correct state?