Aeotec Door/Window Sensor 6

Has anyone managed to get this working in HA yet? It shows up properly in HA, however, it shows always on, even when I manually trigger it.

I have checked it out in the Open Zwave Control Panel (not that I am any expert with that) and I can see it change states there (from 255 to 0 and vice versa) and I can see the events in OZWCP. I just cannot figure out why it does not change state in HA. Anyone have any input or advice?

I’m about three days in to any of this so I’m far from an expert but I have the Gen5 door/window sensor and the only way I’ve found to make it work is to check for state=22, which means open and state=23,which means closed. I’ve set up a custom sensor based on those values and it seems to work fine. I then created an alert through Pushbullet when the sensor I created changes from closed to open and that works, too.

It seems to surface a number of other sensor types, none of which seem to do anything and all read 0 at all times.

Check for state=22 & 23? How would one go about doing this?

I have some Aeotec Multisensor 6’s and I had to set them to binary sensor reporting in OZWCP in order for them to report properly in HA. @brusc actually mentions this in his ZWave video with the Aeotec sensor he sets up in it.

You’d have to create a sensor template for it that checks the state.attribute and then return a value like “open” or “close”. Then you’d use that template sensor as your display and in your scripting.

Hi Storm,

I am also farily new to this but i think I understand your problem.
the point is the aeotec sensor have “2 reporting methods”: binary and standard.

As far as i can see, binary is recognized automatically in HA, so no issues there.
the standard provide more status, but is not automatically recognized.
The default for the Aeotec is the standard mode.

there are 2 ways to fix it, set the sensor to binary or create a template in HA to read the values:
1/ setting to binary. you should use another program to do it, either OZWCP or Domoticz. In my case, I use domoticz, as for some reason i cannot make OZWCP work in my environment (Synology NAS + Docker), but pretty much everyone else uses OZWCP. some important things here: i) STOP HA before launch the other APP, or the controller will/might get lost. ii) make sure to wake up the sensor once you start to configure it iii) save the config file from the other tool into HASS. in order to know WHAT to change (which parameter) either check the short description, internet or user manual.
2/ create a template. please have a look on my multisensor 6 template below. it is working great for me.

- platform: template
    sensors:
      multisensor_6_motion:
        friendly_name: 'MultiSensor 6 Motion'
        value_template: >-
          {% if is_state("sensor.aeotec_zw100_multisensor_6_burglar_15", "8") %}
          motion
          {% elif is_state("sensor.aeotec_zw100_multisensor_6_burglar_15", "3") %}
          tamper
          {% else %}
          still
          {% endif %} 

Luis

You guys are simply awesome! I hope that in time, I learn enough about HA that I can contribute back as I had definitely benefitted from the knowledge and expertise here.

First, I guess I am going to have to learn about templates too because when someone mentions ‘templates’ I am thinking pre-configured, already exists, just use it type of thing and I was clearly having no joy with that endeavour today in HA. Now, seeing it as luismoed shared, I believe I misunderstood the concept and it is rather something you create yourself.

Second, @luismoed and @rpitera, Thank you. You both nailed it with changing the configuration of the sensor to binary. I am new to OZWCP as well and trying to figure that beast out too. Every time I went into that I would see the sensor was asleep and could never figure out how to wake it up for any duration of time, despite pressing the tamper/inclusion button.

I managed to do so somehow this time and was able to change the configuration to binary, and now I can clearly see it change states in HA.

I know I have had to bug the crap out of everyone the last couple of days, but I think I have learned a thing or two in the process as well. I ‘think’ at least, I am in a position I could buy a couple more devices and start testing them out before moving all my existing zwave devices to HA.

Thank you again for the immense amount of assistance in helping me get started.

3 Likes

Hello!

As @LeeJS mentioned, I also just use the state ‘23’ and ‘22’ and have a push notification sent to my phone if the status goes to ‘22’ (opened).

Does anyone know all the states available? I know there’s a 255 (I think?) which I assume is a tamper state?

When I looked at the device in OZWCP, I never saw a state 23 or 22. I did see states 255 and 0. When I laid the sensor on my desk and swiped the included magnet by it or laid it close enough to it, I would see the state change from 255 to 0 then from 0 to 255 when I took the magnet away.

I can only speak for myself, but I wasn’t bugged at all and am always happy to help new members. Someone helped me and said the same thing. HA is just a friendly place, I guess. LOL I’m glad you’re making headway!

Something I learned while trying to get their SmartSwitches to report more frequently when it comes to power load was that there is a notification option called “Hail”. I don’t remember if this is also in the Door/Window sensors, but it apparently pings out a notification of state change instead of waiting to be polled. Could come in handy; it did for me.

Hmmm, I will have to check that out. I don’t recall seeing anything like that in the OZWCP. Then again, the one fairly extensive post I saw on the Aeotec sensor showed screen shots from OZWCP that I do not see in mine. I used the RPi All-In-One Installer too so that could have something to do with it.

At any rate, I will look for the Hail command.

I checked for the ‘Hail’ setting and see no such thing in OZWCP for the door/window sensors.

I stated earlier that when I originally was attempting to get the sensor to report to HA that when the magnet was near the device it would change from 255 to 0 and vice versa. Well, since changing its configuration to Binary only, I now see this:

magnet off

2016-09-01 18:28:36.555 Info, Node003, Received SensorBinary report: Sensor:62 State=On
2016-09-01 18:28:36.555 Detail, Node003, Refreshed Value: old value=false, new value=true, type=bool
2016-09-01 18:28:36.555 Detail, Node003, Changes to this value are not verified
2016-09-01 18:28:36.555 Detail, Node003, Notification: ValueChanged
2016-09-01 18:28:36.555 Info, Notification: Value Changed Home 0xd13937ad Node 3 Genre user Class SENSOR BINARY Instance 1 Index 0 Type bool

magnet on

2016-09-01 18:31:58.906 Info, Node003, Received SensorBinary report: Sensor:193 State=Off
2016-09-01 18:31:58.906 Detail, Node003, Refreshed Value: old value=true, new value=false, type=bool
2016-09-01 18:31:58.907 Detail, Node003, Changes to this value are not verified
2016-09-01 18:31:58.907 Detail, Node003, Notification: ValueChanged
2016-09-01 18:31:58.907 Info, Notification: Value Changed Home 0xd13937ad Node 3 Genre user Class SENSOR BINARY Instance 1 Index 0 Type bool

I post this more for just reference in case it is important down the road somewhere.

1 Like

Hi,

My aoetec recessed door sensor also reports 0 and 255 in OZWCP and true and false on HA.

So i would say it is working fine. do you still have any issue?

Luis

No, not that I am aware of but I have not yet built any automations around it as of yet either. But as far as I can tell, it is reporting to HA and working as it should now.

I initially noticed that I only had states 255 and 0, too. That changed once I installed it on the door. After a day or so the states changed to 23(closed)/22(open). I think that state 255 is when it’s been tampered with; when it senses someone has physically moved it.

Okay, that makes sense. I ordered a couple Aeotec Smart Switch 6’s that I hope will be here today that will allow me to set up a couple practice automation’s and see how things will work when put into actual use.

Hi Luis

I see where your solution is better then mine (readability etc.) but I used the numeric values directly in the trigger.

- alias: 'kelderlichten aan'
  trigger:
    platform: numeric_state
    entity_id: sensor.kelder_sensor_burglar_4_10
    above: 8
    below: 8
  action:
    service: light.turn_on
    entity_id: light.kelder_light1_level_3_0