Aeotec siren 6 turn on alarm on entity level

Hi all,

I have the aeotec siren 6 and have the following issue: the alarm on entity level is not turned on when triggered. I have created the following test automation:

alias: Test siren
description: ''
trigger:
  - platform: state
    entity_id: binary_sensor.door_window_sensor_7_access_control_window_door_is_open
    to: 'on'
condition: []
action:
  - service: siren.turn_on
    target:
      entity_id: siren.indoor_siren_6_7
mode: single

I had the issue on 2021.11.5 Hass, updating to the current 2012.12 version did not help. I am running my hassio OS directly on a NUC.

If I run the debugger, it is clear that the call service is initiated but the step of turning on the alarm is never executed. I use the official Zwave JS add on.

The weird thing is: if I execute the automation directly two times in a row, either by pressing the execution of the automation twice (fast, like within a second or so, or opening, closing and directly opening my door again, the alarm does sound. This made me wonder and I doubled the action of the turn on signal: and now it works. See the yaml code:

alias: Test siren
description: ''
trigger:
  - platform: state
    entity_id: binary_sensor.door_window_sensor_7_access_control_window_door_is_open
    to: 'on'
condition: []
action:
    target:
    target:
mode: single

Although this is a workable workaround, it should not work like this. Does anybody have an idea what could be wrong? I already paired the siren again, healed, did not change any configuration on it, I tried another Zwave add on, updated the firmware of the siren, nothing works.

Maby can help this topic; https://diymediahome.org/aeotec-doorbell-6-in-ha-how-to-trigger-the-bell/

Thnx for the suggestion. One thing I forgot to mention, if I add the siren on device level, the alarm works. I see in this topic, the doorbell is also added as a device. I did tried to use a different add on as mentioned in this topic, however no result.

The siren 6 should be able to work on entity level so you can use 8 different sounds in different automations. I want to use e.g. a different sound for a burglar alarm, fire alarm and so on. I contacted Aeotec but they did not provide a solution yet and they agree the provided example should work.

You don’t need entity level for use of other sounds. Device has endpoints, resembling different alarms. Have a try at that

Thanks for your suggestion. I will try this out.

However, even if it works i still consider this a workaround. The entity level should work, according to Aeotec: How to automate Siren 6 in Home Assistant : Aeotec Help Desk

The Aeotec document is correct, the integration creates one siren entity for each endpoint, and the turn_on service uses the toneId property of each endpoint. Using the low level service call is functionally equivalent. You could try those service calls as a test to see if there’s a problem in the siren platform.

Have you tried any of the other siren entities to see if using a different endpoint produces different behavior?

You could check the driver logs. If you see the Sound Switch Set command on the first call to the service call, but no siren activity, then it’s a problem with the device. If you don’t see any Set command, then it’s a problem with HA or the driver.

1 Like

I just got mine brought over to HA and use the UI for automation and the call service function works. Think I have 6 of the 8 setup. I did run into one problem after connecting the siren I connected a contact sensor and it somehow connected partially to zwave js and directly to the siren. Took 30 mins to figure out why the siren was going off at 7 in the morning when everyone in the house was asleep. Oops

Oh I couldn’t do the S2 encryption. Had to install it with no security. Couldn’t get the siren to work or connect properly to zwave js with S2 encryption.

1 Like

Yeah encrypted connection did not work here also, so I use the unsecure connection as well

I tried other entities of the siren; did not work. Service desk Aeotec last resort: completely run down the battery and hook it up again; did not work. I tried the low level service call, although I am not sure how this should work, since I got an error whatever I tried. I used the command class SOUND_SWITCH (can not set a number, must select a command class). Property toneId, endpoint 2, value 1 (I tried also different values, and different endpoints as well).

And still, it sounds a bit illogical: as stated in the original question: the siren runs on entity level IF i double the action by using the standard siren:turn_on service call. It is like it is asleep or something or just stupid so you have to tell it everything twice. So, the device should work, although it could be a bug somewhere. A friend of my has the same setup, same add on, same OS, same siren, etc and he has no issue.

sounds more like a zwave routing challenge… attempt to fix network maybe doing something? or check the network nodes diagram, maybe that give a hint of ghost node sometimes?

Runned the repair network again, no help. Checked for a graph but am I correct that it is not possible with the official zwave js integration? My zwave network is still quite simple with 4 sensors and 1 siren, and the siren is close to the zwave stick, so I suspect no issues there.

The weird thing is that it always goes of with the double action if I put it on entity level and on a regular manner if I put it on device level. It is so easy to replicate but not on another system apparently (service desk and a friend tried). All other sensors work fine, direct communication of changed properties and so on.

I use Z-Wave JS in an external LXC on Proxmox, with the Aeotec Siren 6 and the Z‐Stick Gen5+. The Siren is configured with S2 and Z-Wave+:

In order to have S2 working, since the siren was already configured before the integration supported S2, I had to reset both devices to default and install both the stick and the siren like it was a fresh installation.

I can turn on both using the entities and the device, specifying the tone too. Setting volume and duration in the code doesn’t seem to have any effect though:

service: siren.turn_on
target:
  device_id: 312f8c64d6502a4d96198ae306b2464e
data:
  tone: '6'
service: siren.turn_on
target:
  entity_id: siren.indoor_siren_6_4