Aeotec Z-Stick Gen5 passed through VirtualBox to HassOS

On my Windows 10 desktop, I can’t get my Aeotec Z-Stick Gen5 passed through VirtualBox to myHassOS 1.8 VMDK based VM. The VM has a USB 2 controller with a filter for the vendor and product ID’s. I’ve tried booting the VM after the USB device was connected to my desktop, connecting the USB to the desktop while the VM is running, removing, adding, etc. Nothing.

Any thoughts?
Thank you

The secret here was to pass it as a serial device, not a usb device. When you connect the stick to Windows, go to device manager and note the COM port number it attached to. Then add a serial port in virtual box (“host device”, and set the com port to COM# where # is your com port number). Then update your HA yaml to point to the /dev/ttyS0 (or which ever device art ended up mapping to).

There is an issue regarding this: https://github.com/home-assistant/hassos/pull/132
You are supposed to pass it as an USB, but there is no support in the VMDK yet.

I’m not good at interpreting github, has this been fixed can you use the Aeotec stick with virtual box hassOS?

You need to force update the host os from the hassio tab in the front end, newer versions than in the vdmk have usb passthrough added.

What do you use for Path/Address?

Sorry, I left VirtualBox in favor of for Proxmox a while ago.

This thread is a bit old and JesseWebDotCom provided the working summary, but I figured I would add in step-by-step in case it helps somebody else fix this problem. In Windows device manager find the COM port for the Aotec device. For me it showed up under Ports (COM & LPT) and mine was at COM3.

COM3 is what I need to enable in the serial port settings within VirtualBox. And I selected Host Device for the Port Mode. (this community forum only allows 1 image for a new poster. I will try to reply to this post with a picture of the Virtual Box settings.)

Then I installed the Terminal & SSH add-on. See Home Assistant & SSH (Secure SHell) - YouTube for a quick video if you need help getting started there. I enabled the Show in sidebar option and can run when I need from the left sidebar

Run Terminal and execute ‘dmesg | grep tty’ for me that yielded ttyS2 and that is what I needed to feed into the home assistant zwave configuration.

Finally, if you follow the instructions at Setup Home Assistant with Z-Stick Gen5+ : Aeotec Help Desk, you will end up with a Zwave configuration screen and you need to enter the Serial Port value we found using dmesg.

That got me to the point where VirtualBox passed the COM port to my Home Assistant VM and Home Assistant showed devices from my Aoetec Z-Stick.

Hope that helps somebody out there.

3 Likes

Here are my Virtual Box serial port settings.

1 Like