Aeotec Z-wave stick Gen5 on Synology installation

Hi, new to this thread but have read down it now and the bit I cant get past is finding the path for the USB drive. I dont have the standard ones mentioned above, I’ve tried to unpluging, ls, plugging in, ls and check the difference but there is no difference. In the control panel in DSM, on the info page, it displayed the USB device and it knows what it is.

• Do I have problem connecting my z-wave stick to HA? (Y/N) Y
  • Which Synology box are you using? DS920+
  • Which DSM version? DSM 7.0.1-42218 Update 4
  • Which make/model of the z-wave stick? Aeotech ZStick Gen5
  • Which FW version on your z-wave stick? SDK version? 1.1
  • The device path that works for you: nothing yet
  • Other information Synology NAS, Docker container

DSM 7 removed a lot of drivers for serial comms devices like the zwave sticks. Search this thread for three commands using modprobe and run them on your synology to see if that restores the device path. If not, then you’ll need to find the USB driver that’s built for your NAS’ cpu architecture and install that. Otherwise, use the alternate install method of HAOS in Synology VMM and you don’t have to worry about drivers.

1 Like

Thanks, I decided to give up on docker and go down the VM route, worked a charm, all setup now

Glad you have worked it out. You might want to consider updating your last bullet point, to indicate/clarify that it was a docker install.

1 Like

im running a very similar setup but just cant seem to get it to work.
synology running DSM6.2
HA Docker
Aeotec Z-wave stick gen 5+ (its the only device i have plugged in)
in synology GUI i can see the aeotec in info center

using
ls -1 /dev/ttyA*
i get
/dev/ttyACM0

i created the docker container with

sudo docker run --name home-assistant --restart=always --net=host --privileged -itd -v /volume1/
docker/homeassistant/config:/config --device /dev/ttyACM0 homeassistant/home-assistant

i also used chmod 777 on the usb device

but still nothing in HA

What version of HA?

Home Assistant 2022.8.3
Frontend 20220802.0 - latest

There is no built in Z-Wave integration in HA anymore. It was removed in a 2022 release. You need to use ZWaveJS2MQTT in a separate container. Attach your Z-Wave stick to that container, then add the integration to HA.

thanks for that.
Created a ZwaveJS2MQTT container
enabled the websocket server for HA, selected the zwave device. went back to HA and its there.

1 Like