Aeotech ZW162 Doorbell

It’s not really an upgrade as far as HA is concerned - more of a migration. Instead of z-wave being something like a plug-in inside HA, it’s now more of a standalone service that HA connects to via MQTT. In addition, most of the GUI configuration components are missing right now (assuming they ever get developed - I’m not sure if they’ll do that, or just expect you to use other methods).

I’d tell you what’s involved in migrating, but that all depends on what kind of HA installation you have. In any case, if you’re asking ‘was upgrading an easy task’ then you’re almost certainly in for a lot of work only to be disappointed at this point.

I cannot say it was simple. It was not difficult. I just followed the instructions.

Stop zwave integration. Start the new add on and then the new
integration. Now you either wait for all the devices to come in or you
wake them all up. If you have any battery devices it is best to wake
them up.

The add-on has an OpenZWave Qt Screen where you can see details of all
your connected zwave devices.

This is all very simple. Now you have to go around and alter all
connected sensors to the new names, they will be different. This did
not take me long, I only have a dozen or so zwave devices at present.
What took me more time was editing the various automations. Also be
aware the the new version may alter (in a very good way) the way your
automations work.

For example I used to check the access control on my door sensors,
looking for 22/23 and taking the required action. In the 1.6 beta they
appear as Door sensors, they show as Open or Closed. All so much easier
but it required an edit.

As for the doorbell. It just worked for me. One thing that does need
doing is the volume, you can alter that and the chime, in the OpenZWave
Qt Screen.

I have another D-Link Siren that is also working much better now. I much prefer the new version and while I was just testing I decided within a couple of hours I was not going back to 1.4. Well worht the effort.

Regards
Paul

@pfinnigan @peng1can - thanks for clarifying.
I’ll look into migrating to zwave 1.6 - i’m running HA on Ubuntu (on ESXi) inside Ubuntu I also have a Docker Container for Zigbee (Deconz) so i guess that i just need a new container for the Zwave 1.6 software ?

@krede The instructions for migrating from 1.4 to 1.6 were good. I’m running HA Supervised on Ubuntu as well. I did not need to create any new containers, Supervisor handled it for me. The whole process was pretty easy, other than waiting for battery devices to come back (I’m impatient).

You need a container for 1.6 AND an integration. You also need to disable your current zwave integration.

Thanks - is it correct that I also need MQTT server and broker? I saw that in another thread ! ?

Im running in python on Ubuntu - im not sure if thats the same as supervised !?

No I don’t think so. I guess not very helpful then.

yes but to clarify - the “server” and “broker” are the same thing.

Sorry, I mean MQTT server and MQTT integration :slight_smile:

You do need MQTT. Not difficult to set up for OpenZWave.

Hi @pfinnigan
Thank you so much ! now it works.
I got MQTT and Openzwave installed in different Containers and integrated into HA, so im able to see the binary sensors of the sirens in HA :slight_smile:
Only differences from your automations is that the push of the doorbell button actives this sensor:
"binary_sensor.zw162_doorbell_6_browse_siren_active"
instead of
"binary_sensor.sound_switch_doorbell_1_siren_active"

Don´t now why - but I don’t care at the moment :joy:

I am please that it all is working for you now. I hope your experience is the same as mine, phantom sensors are gone, reboots are no issue. It all just works now and in the expected way.

1 Like

Hopefully I didn’t overlook anyone mentioning this already - it looks like everyone so far is looking to detect the buttons being pressed, but has anyone figured out how to trigger the chime from within HA? Under Hubitat I used to use this to play a different chime when a door was opened. Just a little more responsive than doing it through a google home.

Its my understanding that HA doesn’t really have good support for alarms and chimes, so this would probably need to be triggered via MQTT?

Just came here to ask this. Is it possible to activate the siren in an automation for example! Or turn down the doorbell after a certain time so it won’t wake up the kids?

Only way I have found to lower the sound is through OZW configuration, and I don’t know of any way to do that programmatically. Maybe if we can figure out how to trigger the sounds there is some data we can send on volume with it.

Since about 2 weeks i bit the bullet and started using the openzwave 1.6 software in HA.
Overall i like the way it is working, ofcourse the end product needs a bit of polishing before it can go out of beta.

I consider myself quite a novice user, especially when it comes to mqtt and such components.
My doorbell now functions nicely, i have updated the config on the device (with a workaround, not ozwadmin) to lower the volume level and set a specific tone for doorbell 1.
In using the doorbell (key press) i do get events in HA, but it is related to a general topic, the same event also gets triggered when the tamper alert goes off.
So my question is basically there are a truckload of binary sensors configured in A, why are they not triggering?

A more complicated question maybe is, how can i trigger the siren (with whatever volume / tone) using MQTT? maybe someone can share a few automation snippets??

2 Likes

The doorbell is now easily configured through the OpenZWave app’s web UI. Set the volume in percent and choose tone from a drop down menu.

“Siren active” binary sensors are changing value when the doorbell is sounding. I set up an automation to get a notification when the doorbell is activated:

- id: '1596780325136'
  alias: Doorbell
  description: Sends a push notification when the doorbell is activated via button
  trigger:
  - device_id: c82163d4421f4858b51c246cbd672394
    domain: binary_sensor
    entity_id: binary_sensor.sound_switch_doorbell_1_siren_active
    platform: device
    type: sound
  condition: []
  action:
  - data:
      title: Doorbell
    service: notify.mobile_app_e5558
  mode: single

Still trying to find out how to activate the siren functions, though. The closest I think I’ve gotten is a comment about sending data to the siren (another type of zwave-siren) via something called LUUP script, which I have no idea on how to accomplish. Still trying to find anything on that.

It is mentioned in this thread: Z-Wave siren that can beep as well as alarm?

I got that far also… what happens in this type of setup in case of a tamper alarm, that your doorbell action get’s triggered. because both doorbel event and tamper alert uses the same binary sensor.

Test it for yourself, just go to the chime and slam it gently with a shoe… :slight_smile:

just for the fun of it i was looking through the integration of Samsung SmartThings, they apparently have a opensource contribution to make this doorbell work in their platform.
Looking through the code i get the impression that in order to distinguish between event types a lookup needs to be done in the chime what triggered the last alert (chime 1 / 2 / 3 or tamper)

Also when looking at the OZW.log in the VNC console i see a warning related to the tamper alert (some unmapped data) this might also give some strange results when it would finally hit HA.

I am still trying to wrap my head around how to interact from Home Assistant with OpenZwave. There is surprisingly little information available on which topics are used by openzwave, (what to listen for) and how to build up a basic MQTT message to send to openzwave.

I have a separate binary sensor for tamper alarm. When did you add the doorbell to your zwave network? I got a few new entities when removing it and adding it anew after a few updates to hassio.

Regarding the last bit in your post, I definitely agree