Alarm system that works locally

Well you didn’t suggest cold calling installers to pick their brain, if you want to be nit picky.

It was a suggestion, want to find what pro’s use look to their suppliers. Generally they will have a much better idea of the market than some random installer out of the phone book.

+1 with above reccs.

I had suggested (twice) that the OP should consult with local installers to determine what kind of equipment they use. I figured no further explanation was needed because the OP is likely to be familiar with how to contact a local business.

Take a look at the Texecom Elite series too. Lancashire based company There is a HA integration and it’s a solid, well regarded and fully featured alarm system.

I would steer clear of Konnected - it started as a retrofit upgrade system to older wired systems and it’s good for that, but is now operable standalone but feature deficien and a bit of a Heath Robinson solution though. (sorry Nate)

Don’t agree - if all you want (as the OP suggest) is a fully local solution, with PIR and door open/close sensors, then Konnected is a very good and cost efficient solution for that (including the possibility to drive the alarm siren, open/close garage doors, or even keep it in parallel to your existing system
). Not sure hence what you mean by “feature deficient” - the features, the automation, the intelligence - that is why you have HAS. I currently use the Alarmo add-on, which suits me fine, and I further define ‘alarm triggered actions’ in Node-Red. Any scenario possible.

I am also a happy Texecom Elite series user, the add-on is built by @dchesterton of this parish and is solid.

1 Like

I am using Jablotron 100 series.

I’m a strong believer in an ‘alarm system’ being standalone and not being implemented within your HA system requiring timers, zones, logic, keypads etc. If HA is down your alarm system should remain functional. By all means supplement features there though.

Konnected can work with an existing alarm panel but it does not implement any form of tamper protection or checking on zone wiring which I feel is a fundamental flaw. It also really has no RF block detection (WiFi)

2 Likes

I agree that it is not an industry-strength security solution, so it is not to be used in commercial environments, where incentives for burglars, and access to security infra by anyone (including potentially not to be trusted employees) risks are much higher than in a private home. But I did not get from the OP that he was looking for such graded system.

I also share your overall concern for “should completely work standalone”; and everyone should evaluate that for their own requirements. But complete independence will surely mean a (much) more expensive system (including power independence, dedicated keypads, auto dialing alarm center over fixed line or 4G etc.), while maybe still missing some features that are easy to come by with a HAS and Zigbee sensors (i.e. shock sensors on doors and windows triggering the alarm before being breached). After all, we’re having this discussion in the context of HAS, which was also requested by the OP.

How I partially mitigated your -valid- concerns:

• I specifically waited for the availability of the Konnected PRO board to allow me wired Ethernet instead of WiFi dependance (which would not have worked anyway in my closed, metallic cabinet).
  • UPS backed up HAS, switch/router, modem and PoE to feed the Konnected panel
  • tamper detection wired to result in “open” (alarm) state
  • separate zone implemented for tamper detection of the alarm panel cabinet

I guess it boils down to what you evaluate your risks are, and what money you’re willing to spend to mitigate them. It looks to me you are looking at the higher end of the spectrum?

I share xAPPO’s opinion of the Konnected product. What we have suggested isn’t, what you described as, the “higher end of the spectrum” but simply falls into the category of ULC approved alarm panels suitable for both residential and commercial applications.

The Konnected product doesn’t meet ULC’s guidelines for what constitutes a self-contained alarm panel (or any other standards body for that matter). The fact Konnected calls it an alarm panel is a stretch because all it does is serve as a bridge between hard-wired sensors and someone else’s (home automation) software. It’s basically an API to access wired security sensors.

If you examine the OP’s specifications listed in the first post, item #3 is “does not depend on HASS”. That alone disqualifies Konnected for this particular application.

As Andrew says, I built the texecom2mqtt app so do take my opinion with a pinch of salt (I’m not affiliated with Texecom at all but I am a fan).

For me, I looked at what high-end smart homes were using and a lot seemed to use Texecom. Check out @artofsmart on Instagram/YouTube - they do high-end Control4 UK smart homes and you’ll often see Texecom panels.

My requirements were similar to yours: local access, sensors available in HA and a standalone system which works without relying on any home automation software, and honestly Texecom were the only system I found that satisfied them all.

I like Konnected and I was going to go with one originally but for roughly the same price as their Ethernet board, you can get a full alarm kit and ComIP to interface with a Pi or similar, and critically you get a fully certified, independent security system. I even have mine connected to a smoke alarm relay so I get smoke alarm notifications in HA too so by the time I factor in the cost of a smart smoke alarm it’s probably even cheaper for me.

1 Like

I clearly mentioned the risk vs cost factor; if you need a ULC approved setup then by all means go get one - and pay for it. At least in my country that means paying an order of magnitude more than the Konnected panel. That justifies “higher end” I would think. And whatever the product’s name, nowhere does Konnected claim it does more than what it does.

I have recently installed an Satel Integra which is supported by HA and it gives me all the sensors and output switches from alarm panel into HA. A very high quality alarm panel with Grade 3 security. Got it from here https://shopdelta.eu/?page=shop/flypage&product_id=6429&category_id=838. Be careful the panel is in polish language and for the English version you have to pay 100euro more. But I have managed to flash English firmware on it.

You may have missed the point that, by the industry’s definition of what is an alarm panel, the Konnected Pro doesn’t qualify. Because it cannot operate autonomously, it doesn’t meet the OP’s requirement of autonomy from Home Assistant nor the common definition of an alarm panel.

I even started my post with “I agree this is not an industry strength solution”, so no, I did not miss the point. By now, it is clear that this solution is not for you; so for the rest: let the OP and other readers decide wether or not the info I provided could be usefull. I’m not a native speaker, so I don’t even want to go into semantics if yes or no the term “alarm panel” is an industry standard definition in a country I do not live in. Have a good day.

Out of curiosity what did you go for in the end? An alarm installer friend of mine is pushing Pyronix over Texecom but can’t comment on the needs you shared in your post, which are exactly the same as mine.

Would love to be able to see and set alarm status in HA but even better would be eg using motion sensor on landing to temporarily turn on the landing lights at night.

@Daniel_Bayley I am based in the UK and operate a few Honeywell Galaxy Flex panels which are integrated into Home Assistant. The integration is through a local MQTT broker which is an additional PCB board that connects to the panel. The SelfMon module is a brilliant little device that comes with excellent support from the maker. Honeywell Galaxy panels are often preferred by professional alarm companies and are often resold under ADT and other big brands. If interested, I’d recommend joining this Facebook community group who discuss this very topic

@Daniel_Bayley A couple of examples of what could be achieved with this integration.

HA1

HA2

Thanks for sharing, that looks amazing. I am deep in a conundrum at present and cannot decide between the Honeywell Galaxy Flex or the Texecom. Must confess, with the VMOD module I am leaning towards the Galaxy.

Biggest issue I have, Galaxy Flex units are rare in Australia (where I am) or are sold for crazy prices. I’ve seen a few Galaxy panels for sale on eBay UK, but I am not enough of an expert to figure out which unit to purchase… especially when sellers are quoting board revision numbers etc.

I have a very old ‘Hills’ brand alarm panel with a keypad, and as far as my wife is concerned the keypad stays :laughing:

Here’s my old existing alarm panel…

So far I’ve looked at an FX100+ with a MK7 Prox, and a FX050 with a MK7 keypad. Any advice on what might be a good beginner Galaxy Flex system that supports VMOD would be a huge help. I am also open to a Texecom system, but have no idea on models or accessories.

The developer of the VMOD recommends a Flex 100+, however depending on what you are trying to achieve the Flex 50 could suffice, particularly if wireless devices are used. There are also options to use older (cheaper) Galaxy legacy panels (G2, etc) that are readily available on eBay for less than £50. The VMOD also provides emulated Ethernet which saves on buying an official module. I’d recommend that you post your question to the dedicated FB group to obtain a broader response. The owner could also sell you a Flex and ship it to Australia.