Alert me when my dumb doorbell rings

I also have a dumb doorbell. Due to aesthetic reasons I didn’t want to replace the knob so I installed a Klikaanklikuit ACDB-7000BC to the wires and removed the original ringer. By doing so I can pickup the signal if someone rings in HA. Only drawback is that I have to stick to the Klikaanklikuit supplied ringer, but that’s ok for me.

I have seen working examples that require no wiring at all. If you have a mechanical bell that uses a solenoid, you can try to just use a 433 or zwave door sensor attached near the solenoid. I you are lucky, the solenoid will trigger the reed switch inside the door sensor when the bell is going off

2 Likes

I love all these ingenious solutions proposed here… I could have actually kept my old style door bell…

Anyway, I was lucky enough that my neighbour could wire in a dry contact output for me on the (telephone-style) receiver when the doorbell is pressed. (It did not deliver a consistent response to each press to use it directly.)

I have not gotten round to take the project further, so are there anyone here that has the code/steps on how to get a dry contact via the Raspberry pi GPIO available into HA?

Thanks

Ps. Sorry to high-jack the thread…

Hmmm… that sounds really interesting and should be fairly easy to test and setup. Might even be more reliable than a vibration sensor. Will test this.

I like the idea, but to take it a little further I’d like to be able to disable the bell at certain times, when the kids sleep for example, but still receive notification when it was triggered.

I just finished doing this, fully with z-wave. There are guides out there to do this with a battery powered device but I didn’t want to go that route, my solution is using a hardwired always on zwave device. I have a pending write up on it but feel free to pm me and I’ll share what I did

2 Likes

Great, can’t wait as we’ll be moving soon and I want to implement that in the new flat.

Sent you a PM!

I have a Nexa 433mhz doorbell that im trying to integrate with HA.
When i did use Vera i just added it like a switch, then i could make a notification.

Any ide how I could do this with HA? I did try to add it as a switch, but it did not work.

Can you send me, thanks

Hey @ssowy

Not sure if this would be of interest to you, but I did the same thing to my house about 1.5 years ago using MySensors on my hardwired two door chime. I had to basically re-wire part of the system, but I was able to use most of the existing cable that was already in the walls. It’s a change that isn’t hard to put back so, as long as you are not planning to move in a hurry this should work fine.

Door chime monitor (2 door, back and front entry)

2 Likes

By the way, I did finish this project. I basically used an ESP8266 wired to a vibration sensor. The vibration sensor is attached to the ringer (basically the plates that vibrate to make the sound.) When the vibration sensor triggers, it signals the ESP8266 to connect to the wifi and to push a notification. I did not have to integrate it with HASS though, I just used linked it up via the Maker IFTTT channel for the push. I just have to fix it so that I don’t need to use tape to attach it on the wall/ringer.

3 Likes

There are wayyy too many ways to skin a cat! Well done!

1 Like

Basically this could be mounted outside in the fron door (I have a garden), in a traditional doorbell, and send a binary_sensor when somebody rings, correct?

my problem with that would be:

1. WiFi coverage
  2. WiFi reliability
  3. Lag

I would use zwave, or even RF433, No state is needed I think for this application RF433 is enough (and actually better).

What could be a good (simple) solution for RF433 dumb doorbell ring alert?

This is an old thread but the lack of doorbell choices is still a fact for home assistant.
I’m currently using Xiaomi wireless switch, programmed ti triger a ring on Xiaomi gateway.
Also, it is configured to send me notification on my phone via Telegram when someone rings.
It is 100% wireless solution, rock solid and one of the cheapest combinations on the market

Fun topic! If I would get 1€ for everytime someone asks “What is it good for?” the system would have payed for itself already!

I also use a Zigbee button from Xiaomi (~5€) which I opened to solder wires to the button base contacts.
Then attached the wires to the dumb doorbell… so i thought.

However, common doorbells (at least in Germany) use AC power (8-12V) for some reason. So I put a 12V AC relais in the circuit to accomodate for that. The outputs of that relay are then wired to the Xiaomi button contacts and will trigger the notification.

An even cheaper solution (without any gateway and fancy RF stuff) would be to use an Amazon Dash Button instead of the Xiaomi button. Same wiring as described above. So total costs ~10€. Sometimes the Dash buttons are even available for 1-2€ so with some market timing you could get even lower than 10€.

It also yields a much cleaner look than attaching circuit boards or raspberries :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I recommend and use a xiaomi door/window sensor.

Interesting… could you elaborate on that a bit?

I explained the teardown of a door/window sensor here: Xiaomi Gateway Integration - #1575 by syssi

Instead a wall switch I connected my door bell. A small circuit handles the AC power and toggles the GPIO.