Alexa announcement in script

Trying to get HA to have Alexa announce during an automation. I have alexa media player installed.

The automation defined in automations.yaml as:

• id: announce_middle_garage_moving
    alias: announce middle garage door moving
    trigger:
    • platform: state
      entity_id: cover.garage_middle_door
      to: OPEN
      for: 00:00:01
      condition: []
      action:
    • service: notify.alexa_media
      data:
      type: tts
      method: all
      target: media_player.computer_room_dot
      mode: single

To test the “Action” portion of it I use CONFIGURATION -> AUTOMATIONS -> EXECUTE

I also tried removing the line ‘type: all’ but either way I get same error message below in Log Viewer.

File “/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/notify/init.py”, line 149, in _async_notify_message_service
await self.async_send_message(**kwargs)
File “/config/custom_components/alexa_media/notify.py”, line 216, in async_send_message
if data[“type”] == “tts”:
TypeError: ‘NoneType’ object is not subscriptable

Anyone have a clue what I am doing wrong?

Note: Forum changed formatting of script a bit.

Thanks,
Rich F

Here’s mine that does the same thing but works. The only difference I see is the lack of “method: all”. Check your formatting closely. An improper indent can cause all kinds of issues.

- alias: Announce mailbox opened
  trigger:
  - entity_id: binary_sensor.mailbox_vibration
    platform: state
    to: 'on'
  condition: []
  action:
  - service: notify.alexa_media
    data:
      target:
        - media_player.utility_echo_dot
        - media_player.bedroom_echo_dot
        - media_player.kitchen_echo
        - media_player.bedroom_a_echo_dot
        - media_player.kitchen_a_echo_dot
      data:
        type: tts

6 Likes

Dixie,

Modified mine to your method and it worked. I must of been using older documentation.

Thanks,
Rich F

Hello, I’m doing something similar. What would I include to prevent the message from reoccurring while the mailbox is open and only message one time - in say 10 minutes?

Since this was setup as a trigger only when it goes from ‘off’ to ‘on’ then it should only go once while the door remains open. Unless someone keeps opening and closing.

EDIT: I suppose since this is a vibration sense, that is not exactly the case. I would be concerned about wind/critters/etc causing the vibration sensor also causing false positives. I had originally thought that there was a magnetic door sensor in use.

In the case of the Vibration sensor, you could create an input value that gets set to ON when the automation gets triggered. Then create a second automation that gets triggered when the new input gets set to ON that will sleep for 10 minutes, and then set itself to OFF. You would also have to add a condition to the original automation to verify that the new input is OFF prior to triggering.

I would add a

delay: ‘00:10:00’

to the end of your automation so it just hangs there doing nothing for a bit.