Alexa (Echo) emulated hue support broken?

I’m having the same problem, which also started a couple of days back. I was on 0.98.1 and upgrading to 0.98.5 didn’t fix the problem. OS is Ubuntu. I’m fairly sure something has changed with Alexa.

I am still on 0.74.2, have changed nothing and now Alexa cant see any devices. My Pi IP address is still the same.

Re Dave

It’s look like we were late to the party!

https://community.home-assistant.io/t/emulated-hue-suddenly-stopped-working-with-echo-dot-v2

Changing Emulated Hue to work on port 80 (if possible) is a current workaround.

1 Like

Thanks, changing port to 80 worked for me :grinning:

Re Dave

On Port 80 i find devices…but: Via App or Echo, device turn on and direct of with answer that´s not supportet :frowning:
So i´ll wait untill there is a solution.

Ordered some aqara switches for my lights

It’s look like we were late to the party!

https://community.home-assistant.io/t/emulated-hue-suddenly-stopped-working-with-echo-dot-v2

Changing Emulated Hue to work on port 80 (if possible) is a current workaround.

This worked for me. I’m still getting error messages on a couple of things (switches, specifically), and switches and a couple of my scripts don’t get triggered correctly from Alexa, but I can do most things through Alexa again.

From posts on that other thread, it looks like this is an issue on Amazon’s end caused by a firmware update, and they are working to fix it. So it may not be worth getting too deep into trying to fix it from the HA side.

I can see few devices in Alexa app without toggle buttons, but when I click, it shows “Device doesn’t support requested value”. Few entities shows toggle buttons, but when clicked, shows “Device malfunction”. How do I fix them?

Move away from emulated hue. It’s a bug ridden mess at the moment.

yeah, i’m losing interest in this after so much effort and couldn’t find solution.

There is a PR currently in the works. No clue if it will fix your issue.

Curious to know if it’s working with current release. I stopped upgrading at v96.3 and moved on.

Don’t know it’s the issue with HA version. I see few people who use HA in docker did some work around to replace the hue_api.py file and it worked for them. But for hass.io / hassOS users like me, don’t have admin access to root file system though I login as admin. So, don’t have any other (cheap) option to get it worked.

you can replace hue_api.py with or without docker, inside hassio or outside hassio. So maybe that’s not the correct info?

May be I missed something. Yeaterday I tried creating emulated_hue folder in custom_components with all 5 files from github and restarted (suggested by someone), but nothing changed.
In emulated_hue integration troubleshooting section, I see “An additional step is required to run Home Assistant as a non-root user and use port 80 when using the AiO script”. Did I miss anything about “AiO” script? And I couldn’t execute the command
sudo setcap 'cap_net_bind_service=+ep' /srv/homeassistant/homeassistant_venv/bin/python3
Do I need to use any AiO script? I’m just using emulated_hue: in configuration.yaml file.

That’s not related to replacing the file or running your own version of hue_api.py. That’s the nature of whatever change you’re trying to do. Don’t confuse the requirements of that single setup meaning that all replacements require that.

So when you regurgitate the requirements, it’s not possible because “An additional step is required to run Home Assistant as a non-root user and use port 80”.

Any component can be overridden by making it a custom_component and adding your own flavor.

1 Like

This PR was approved and pushed in New update (103) and how emulated_hue working like charm.

Excellent. Good to know. I even read on the docs that it works with hassio now on port 80? Haven’t tried, but it would be good to know if that’s true.

Yes, it’s now only working with port 80. Earlier I used to receive errors like out of range value. After referring that PR, got to know that it’s not the issue with port, but with echo default values associated with switches.

1 Like

Amazingly I avoided this issue for months because my original Echo that I setup everything up on was left powered off. Once I powered it back on yesterday and its firmware updated it broke everything. I ended up using Alexa’s web interface to delete every device and rediscover. I made sure to stay at exactly 49 devices and it mostly worked.

What I noticed is that lights and switches work fine when I ask alexa to turn on/off. However, in my switches.yaml file I setup a bunch of templates as switches like “Dinner Time” that run a script to turn on and a script to turn off. The script sets specific colors, brightness, etc… for each light. I used to be able to say “Alexa turn on Dinner Time” and it would turn off all the lights downstairs but would make sure the Dining Table and Kitchen light were at 80% brightness. It used to work flawlessly for me for all these custom scenes but now with this Alexa update I keep hearing “Dinner time is not responding please check its network connection and power supply” but it actually does run the routine and works. It is annoying to keep hearing that.

I noticed in the Alexa App when I set a group I see a separate On/Off for all the plugs and all the lights in that group. My best guess as to what is happening is that Alexa is trying to get the status of the switch (is it on or off) that I setup through a template and HA is not reporting On or Off so Alexa says the switch is not responding because Alexa can’t confirm it actually switched to the correct state. It is just speculation on my part.

You should be able to go to 63 devices. Prior to me leaving emulated hue, I was at 61.

What does your value_template look like on your template switch. I’d be willing to bet that you don’t properly return an ‘on/off’ state for alexa to read. I.E. After you turn the switch on, it doesn’t report on. Post your switch here and I can help you tailor it so it does.