Alexa vs Google assistant for home control?

Hello :slight_smile:
I prefer to write in English.
I’m starting with HA and having the same questions as you, maybe more… :stuck_out_tongue:
For now I don’t use google assistant (sometimes to make a call or something like that) so I don’t have any problems to pick another assistant.
I bought a Soundlink revolve+ and wanted to buy a echo dot or google mini to put the music from spotify/radios in this speaker.
I want the Assistant to control my sonoff’s (waiting for them), my roborock s50, etc… and don’t know what to choose :confused:
Did you make more testes with Alexa and did you already tested with GA?
Does Alexa works well with android phone to give instructions? (ex: open the garage door with sonoff, etc…).
Thanks for your help
Ivan

You can use Alexa just fine with Android, either add the widget from the app which you just press and say the command you want minus “Alexa” or you can set Android to use Alexa instead of GA as the default by whatever means you call it up. Third but not so friendly method is from inside the app itself.

but only if the android version is high enough :wink:

Hi @lucky !
Regarding your questions:
Now I’m using Alexa to give it a try. It’s working real well combined with HA. I found ‘her’ Spanish voice more natural than the one in GA.
Alexa excels for controlling music with my Sonos, I can tell her ‘Alexa, play Dire Straits on Sonos salon’ and works without issues. However, I do not know about other speaker brands although if they have the feature ‘works with Alexa’ I guess it’ll work fine.
Again, regarding home control (sonoff, etc), for devices setup to work with HA, works great with both Alexa and GA.
I’m used to talking to GA on the phone and therefore I haven’t tried much Alexa on my mobile, but, when I did, it seemed to work well as Bobby_Nobble says.

Hope this helps! Tell us whenever/whatever you choose, how it is going. :wink: