All Device Trackers Stopped Working after no Changes

All of the device trackers stopped working and list everything as not_home. I have not made any changes to my router (firmware etc) or HA. I have tried restarting my modem, router, HA and restarted my Synology with no change.

Last night I tried a couple changes to my config file.

  1. Original Setup
  - platform: linksys_smart
  1. I tried the following with and without the username and password:
  - platform: linksys_smart
    host: IP_ADDRESS
    username: YOUR_USERNAME
    password: YOUR_PASSWORD
      track_new_devices: true
      hide_if_away: false

Here is the most recent error log:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File “/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/linksys_smart/”, line 67, in _update_info
devices = result[“output”][“devices”]

Any suggestions?

Same issue here as of two days ago. I might backup and then erase my known devices and start over to see if that fixes the problem.

I deleted all know_devices and just added my phone, however I still get the same error as before. Any other suggestions or ideas? I am at a loss.

No clue. I have transitioned temporarily over to NMAP. Performs similar functions but will give false not_home states as a device’s WiFi Goes to sleep like iPhones do.

I will try to see if the linksys_ap integration works any better.

Try this for iphones… works really well for me here


Thanks. I’ll give this a try specifically for my iPhones and see how NMAP holds up on my other devices. Still trying to figure out why the ’Linksys_smart’ integration stopped working.

I am having the same problem with this error message.
“019-12-15 17:47:47 ERROR (SyncWorker_6) [homeassistant.components.linksys_smart.device_tracker] Router returned unexpected response
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/linksys_smart/”, line 67, in _update_info
devices = result[“output”][“devices”]
KeyError: ‘output’”

I have exactly the same problem. I have a Linksys Velop router. Suddenly stopped working under a month ago (that’s when my device_tracker.yaml was last updated.

I’ve created a custom component with the state from before last change to the component, but it still didn’t fix the problem. Exactly same error in the log. My suspicion is that Linksys changed the firmware in the routers and potentially requires a login now. I can only hope that some kind soul with some Python skills could fix it. (I can do C# and some JS, but couldn’t code myself out of a Python paper bag)

Please help!

I suspect it has to do with their Motion Detection service they are trying to sell as a monthly subscription. Link.

I believe I have fixed the problem.

You can install the fixed integration manually from my repo or add it to HACS and install from there.

The JNAP requests (Linksys API that the front-end uses) now require authentication on latest Velop firmware.


Thank you so much! I received the error below in my log. Suggestions?

Router returned unexpected response
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/config/custom_components/linksys_velop/", line 77, in _update_info
    devices = result["output"]["devices"]
KeyError: 'output'

No idea really… I’ve only added the password handling without modifying other logic.
I am not really a Python guy (C#/JS/PowerShell are my daily drivers)
I hope it still works for you, despite the intermittent errors in the log.

After reading your reply I doubled checked my password. Sure enough I had a typo. Everything works great.

Thanks again for posting!

That’s great news! You had me worried for a while :slight_smile:

Hello. I am just starting out with HA. I would like to add the Linksys_velop integration I have MX5300 + 3 nodes.
After uploading from HASC, it created a directory for me and the files are agree. However, by adding

  - platform: linksys_velop
    password: .............

receives an error:
Platform error device_tracker.linksys_velop - Integration ‘linksys_velop’ not found.