Allow updating of sensors from NR

Home assistnat doesn’t allow updating sensors from Node-red. Recommended way is to create a MQTT sensor and send values from Node-red. allowing sensors to be updated directly by Node-red will save a lot of headache and give full flexibility.

Can’t Node Red do a post call ?

HA only allow the sensor’s integration to update its value.

But integrations often have service calls to set some sensor values.

I use the set_state.py script on node red. I even opened a feature request to see if the function is added.

This is the thread where I got the script.

I understand that currently HA only allows sensor integration to update it’s value. I think I am asking why this restriction ? why not allow anyone to update the values. There are lot of times, you need the value to be overridden or set manually.

Sensors update automatically. If you want something to be updated manually use an input_* helper.

is input helper drop in replacement for sensor ? for example, if i have a nmap presence sensor which updates from router periodically. in some cases, I would like to force update the sensor with data obtained from other sensors (arp udp packets).
I know there are roundabout way to create a template sensor etc to get around current limitations. But as of now, not only i can’t update the value, I can’t even force the sensor to update outside of it’s normal poll period.

Does the homeassistant.update_entity service not work?

nope (atleast not for nmap integration). probably dependent on integration.