Allowing a human to take control of a room

Thanks Tim - I really need to spend the time to look at migrating to zwavejs2mqtt (around 30 switches). I did install it a while ago on a test system and it looks really good.

On a slight side but related topic - do you know if it is possible with zwavejs2mqtt to read a configuration parameter from a service call / automation? Using the legacy integration I can set a parameter in an automation but not read it back. (I use this to change the control of some of my switches to control a Zigbee bulb installed on that switch - then switch back to controlling the Z-wave switch if the Zigbee bulb loses connectivity. This automation would be more reliable if I could confirm the parameter setting by reading it back.)

Based on this post from someone very familiar with the program, it’s not currently possible to get the parameters directly through Home Assistant and the integration.

Setting the config parameters isn’t a problem, getting them is more difficult. Most of the time you set them from the controller to the device, but I’m guessing you are updating the config at the device itself, or it is updating it on its own? Out of curiosity whats the device and info you’re looking for?

Also, many zwave devices have a “notification class” that does report as an event you can listen for on zwave_js_value_notification. In addition, if it’s something like a power meter, an entity is usually created for that when the device is added.

If it’s just a value stored and no notification is sent by the device when it is changed, you pretty much have to call on the device to refresh the config
Parameter values. I know you can reinterview the device in the zwavejs2mqtt control panel and it will update the parameter values, but I don’t know how to automate and extract that info… There is a developer API in zwavejs where it should be possible to call on the API to report config parameters and create some output, but I’m not quite sure how you would put that together. Documentation on the API is here.

1 Like

In 2021.9 you can use Device automations and/or trigger-based template sensors to read configuration parameter values, or in fact any value. The downside is that these are event based, so a template trigger would lose its state (at least for now) after an HA restart, and not update until it is refreshed or changes. You would need to manually refresh the parameter to get it in-sync.

2 Likes

Thanks @freshcoast , this is very useful and just shows the fast pace of development around zwavejs- Your other post that it wasn’t possible yet was only a few weeks old. I have 2021.9 and just checked it out, and seems pretty easy to setup right in the UI

Thanks for all that info - definitely looks like it is worth taking the effort to upgrade now.

I want to read the current configuration of my Aeotec nano switches to determine if the switch input is currently set to toggle the load or send a message to the controller. In order to handle zigbee bulb disconnections - I have automations which run when the bulbs installed on the switch circuits connect or disconnect from the network.

• When a bulb connects - an automation changes the Aeotec switch input to control the bulb

• When it disconnects another automation changes the switch to control the Aeotect switch directly.

To make these automations more reliable (and to better handle power failures and HA restarts) it would be good to be able to read the current configuration.

Thst makes sense, and it looks like quite a few parameters on the nano that could potentially trigger automations

https://products.z-wavealliance.org/products/2135/configs

I’ll have to test it out on some of the devices I have to see how it works.

@sparkydave I have just upgraded my Zwave 1.4 to ZWaveJS2MQTT and I can still write to parameter 123 / 124 on all my Aeotec nanos (dimmers and switches) - both from the web interface and from an automation. This allows me to read an event when the switch is toggled.
Do you think maybe the fact that yours is read only could be firmware version related? Below is the firmware detail from one of my dimmers:

More likely a ZWaveJS vs. ZWaveJSMQTT difference. I just checked a dimmer and it states firmware version 2.3