Almond & Ada: privacy-focused voice assistant

Is Ada / Almond still being progressed? I really hate the idea of using any of the “big Tech” companies solutions. mainly because I don’t like the idea of being “listened” to and recorded, nor do I want my movements and interests further catalogued for marking by the big tech firms. Snips worked well but is now gone. is there anything like Snips around the corner?

1 Like

Anyone can develop almond; it’s open source (I think). https://almond.stanford.edu/user/request-developer

You could look at this one:

Rhasspy looks interesting… thanks.

Looks to me Ada is no longer being actively developed/maintained.

2 Likes

Try that: Rhasspy offline voice assistant toolkit

2 Likes

That’s not very strange. The moment you are forcing people to pay monthly fee to use services that should be free and open source like everything in home assistant then it’s bound to fail. I’m afraid we will see more and more stuff being added behind the pay wall called nabu casa. It’s a shame that the founders first tell people fully local and open source. Then start a hosting service and slowly put everything behind a paywall. I keep downloading the latest versions of ha and preserving it for the day that home assistant is sold to a big fish and everything disappears behind a paywall. At least I can keep using it for free… In the end it’s always about the money

and what exactly are you referring to?

1 Like

Looks like a recent change was performed for Almond.

Note: since version 2.0.0 of the add-on, the use of the separate Ada add-on is not required. Almond includes built-in voice capabilities, using the wake-word “computer”. It is recommended to avoid using Ada with Almond >= 2.0.0.

https://github.com/home-assistant/addons/tree/master/almond

1 Like

Does anyone has any documentation or manual, how to pass the text to almond via e.g. node-red?
I am using Rhasspy, but its major limitation is that you have to train the exact sentenses and then use them.
If there is a way to pass raw text to almond, it might be very “smart” voice assistant.

2 Likes

I also tried rhasspy, but from the little time I was able to spend on it it looked like you needed an automation for each and every device that you want to control.
Please correct me if I’m wrong about this.
Anyway I can’t spend that much time making automations.
So I’ll try out almond 2.0 and see how it goes.

You dont need to make automation for every device or automation, but it is very time consuming to make everything functional. So my idea was to use Rhasspy (which has incredible accurate and fast speech recognition) and to transfer the recongnized text to Almond. But I dont how to create the last step. Currently I am able to get text to Homeassistant and back to Rhasspy to be spoken. But the transfer from HA to Almond is missing.

1 Like

I was having the same idea.
Maybe text2json is more for us:

If I read correctly I dont see how it solves our problem. It is another “Rhasspy” like system (so you have to write all commands to be able to use)

Ah @cicinovec I thought it’d be possible to capture the spoken word as text, without having to specify intent.

Next best workaround would be to export devices via configurable script and load it in rhasppy.

Hello @SamJongenelen, Rhasspy can already do this. You can use Rhasspy to capture the sound, convert speech to text and the send the text to Home Assistant.
Next step will be to provide this text to assistant (I thought about Almond) who will transcript into action.
Last step is respond with answer, that can be sent back to Rhasspy for speech action

First and last step can be done, I am stuck with step 2 as Almond does not have API or Node red block

Yeah, the link i posted is a small subset of rhasspy.

we need a link to almond for sure

@SamJongenelen Do you if it is possible to put this thing onto like an ESP32 for having only small listening devices in your home? For examle there’s an ESP32 in the kitchen which is running LED strips, why not just saying “Hey Home Assistant, turn on the kitchen light”?

Almond has become Genie. There is a recent blog post.

2 Likes

Well that’s a satellite. But I’ve never had it running fully automated