Amazon Smart Plugs

So, while I haven’t found a solution yet I did notice some things that I DO know that aren’t here.
1.) The HD34BX uses Bluetooth for pairing, as far as I can tell it does not respond to commands by Bluetooth (not that that’s at all useful anyway) but needs to establish a Bluetooth connection to pair, then by Bluetooth establishes the WiFi connection. I’ve tried pairing as a Bluetooth device to no success but I’m sure there’s a way, I just started looking myself

1 Like

I recently moved from SmartThings (ST) to HomeAssistant (HA) and am still migrating my devices. I had some of the HD34BX smart plugs as they were only $5 and sync well with Alexa (before I had ST). To get them in ST I created a virtual switch (VS) in ST. Then in Alexa create routines to sync the VS with the plug (2 routines needed- Alexa app will not be in sync if using VS to turn on light). Bit cludgy but worked pretty quick.
Now that I have moved to HA, the ST VS can be detected by HA and works in there as well. Another layer of mess, but works pretty fast still.
I would be interested if there is a way to control this switch directly and get ST out of loop, but this is a fix that works for me now.

2 Likes

I believe Amazon Plug is not using ESP chip, so is not possible to flash Tasmota firmware. Then, won’t be possible to integrate directly on HASS.

I found it:

If I am not wrong, the RTL8821CSH is the main chip inside the plug.

How do you get Alexa to see your input boolean? Does that require a Cloud subscription or a specific integration?

Do a search for Alexa Home Assistant for the various ways of connecting them.

I personally use Haaska, which is free.

1 Like

so basically there is no way to directly integrate this plug… the input_boolean wokaround sometime is desynced with the real state of the plug, ie when turning off the plug from the button on it…

I’m also looking for a way to integrate Amazon Smart Plug with Home Assistant as well. My smart plug was actually free ($0.00), when I bought an Echo device.

I do have the device online thru Alexa, and that works OK. But would really like HA control. Will have to see if it shows up when I implement Alexa Media Player, for 2-way communication between Alexa and HA.

Meanwhile of course, this smart plug wants to talk to the Internet. I’ve got several spare smart plugs which do NOT need Internet (Zigbee, ESPHome). So for now, this one is staying offline, in a drawer, unless really needed. Didn’t cost me anything but a few minutes of my time.

I documented my solution to control amazon smart plugs via HA (without using nabu casa) here:

Hope that helps!

Nice! Looks like decent solution. Thanks.