An Alexa Skill bridge without exposing HA to the Internet

Hi to all,
I just wanted to share my simple project for integrating Alexa smart home as already done by haaska but without opening ports of my router and exposing the service to the Internet. (and being free)

The idea is actually to use Amazon SQS queue to communicate with a HA add-on that would relay the requests to HA locally. To solve many problems the response from HA to the add-on is inserted into a DynamoDB table where the lambda function would search for its “messageId”.

You can see the code at https://github.com/mrc-g/ASK2HA.

If you are in need of a similar solution feel free to use it and ask questions (as for now, I’m too lazy to provide a complete guide on the GitHub :upside_down_face:).

2 Likes

Good job :sunglasses:, I’m a newbie i dunno much about automation. Is it same as alexa actionable notifications? Could you make any video tutorial?

Well, it’s identical to haaska mega thread, github.
The only difference is in the channel of communication allowing to bypass the need of a direct connection between the lambda function of the Alexa smart home skill and HA. So, in theory, everything that is possible with haaska is possible with this project.
If you do not know haaska maybe you should first check there if it’s something you’d like to use.