An introduction: Your new Community & Social Media Manager!

Welcome to the world of Homeassiatnt community… Hope you will like out stupid ideas…

3 Likes

Welcome to the forums and now sit back and relax or jump over to the Discord server, because here the old moderator team has been doing a great job. :smiley:

It would be nice to have a NabuCasa member sift through the Feature Request section though.
Sometimes there are some less voted things, that are easy to do and really nice or even necessary to have that sort of miss the attention from the team. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

No problem! I sifted through the whole thing recently. :wink:

2 Likes

Welcome and hoping you’ll have an awesome time in Nabu casa and with all of the community members!!!

3 Likes

Welcome! I am in big tech as well and I am happy you found a great place to land after MSFT.

2 Likes

This is a welcomed surprise.

Nice to know you will be in discord.
I have chose not to participate on HA discord because in the past there has been some rude staff and non staff members who talk down or don’t offer any help or directions to helpful information. They just complain that it’s in the wrong topic or questions formatted incorrectly to people including myself just looking for some help\input.

The big issue with finding solutions by searching the HA forum or FB is HA is evolving so quickly most topics accross different platforms are outdated with the move to new integrations, depreciated of old ways and less yaml.
Hell my log file is filled with broken or soon to be broken stuff I need to fix because things have changed like 5 year template sensors or automations that will no longer work because HA changes or depreciations.

I’m not a newbie {2017} but I am also not a programmer or speak :100: geek talk.
When I figure things out that had me stumped because the official document is so vague I will write up a topic in HA forums just so I have something to go back to remember what I did to make something work.

Looking forward to you helping improving all of our HA experience.

2 Likes

Are you sure they are not just pointing you to the best place to get help for your particular question?

One way to avoid this is to read the discord channel or forum category descriptions to find the best place to post.

Unfortunately if you don’t format your configuration correctly it is very difficult to help as all the spacing gets messed up and spacing is very important in YAML.

This is a big issue. I often get likes on posts of mine from many years ago that are well out of date and are now incorrect. I have no idea how we fix that (other than me retroactively editing my old posts when this happens).

3 Likes

That’s all I do. I use the ~ to cross out the old info and replace it with an Edit that has the updated info.

I don’t there there will ever be a great solution to outdated info.

1 Like

Yeah not sure what the solution is. Other forums I’m a member of lock posts with no activity after a week or so. The info is still there to see though. So it doesn’t really solve anything.

Not Tom’s problem.

Missy’s problem :rofl:

1 Like

Hi! :wave:
Nice to have you on board!

On the SmartThings Community they prefixed posts before xxx referring to thier old architecture as [deprecated] and moved all the articles to an archived spot on the site. Posts that refer to the old platform

It wasn’t easy. But one of the mods over there did most of the heavy lifting. I think he just bulk marked everything then undid the changes for the newest threads referring to the new architecture.

I don’t think that works here because they have a very marked point in time when the world changed. We do it every few months. But definitely 2024.x is a very different animal than even a 2022.x build is

One thing that was brought up was investigating if discourse can pop a banner based on age (I seem to remember the answer being yes it could - but I’m definitely ot a discourse SME…) of the article so that if you open a thread older than x - pop a warning of some type to let the user know

Tread lightly - this be old stuff here

The problem is that there are parts of HA that is really old and have not evolved over the last many months or even years.
The posts related to these parts are still valid.

2 Likes

Welcome!! :+1:

Welcome!

For homework, I suggest you seek out a few notable (lengthy) topics in this community forum that provide insight into the relationship between the principals of Nabu Casa and the community.

I won’t reveal any spoilers and let you discover it all for yourself. Suffice to say that if you can improve that dynamic, you’re a miracle worker.

I sincerely wish you the best of luck.

1 Like

Congratulations Missy! Based on our years of working together on Edge, I can confidently say you’ll be a huge asset to this community. You’re awesome and I’m so excited that you’re taking on this role.

4 Likes

I understand pointing to correct area and appreciate it. but it’s the way they do it. To be frank it’s always the official discord I get the rude tone and smart ass answers.
Other discord not so much.
Like digiblur, Drzzz and many others I have no issues it’s like we are family and we all try to help each other and bounce ideas .

1 Like

I’m not talking format of code or yaml I’m talking the way the question is asked.

I’m not talking about just my question or possible solutions I see it many times to poor people just looking for input.
I know we have had a huge influx of new users with not knowledge and it gets tiresome seeing the same questions over and over from people that don’t know the difference from add on or intergration.
But the staff or mods have to have some professionalism.
And yes newbies do post lines of yaml without putting in 3 back ticks…

But at least they can maybe explain how to instead of belittling them and just saying please follow the rules. 

Just my opinion.

1 Like

What I find interesting about your observation is that all the people who assist otherss frequently on the HA discord also assist in those discord channels too. Seems like you’re just having issues with specific individuals.

I have only gone into the official HA discords A few times the past 5 years
But yes that was my experience.

1 Like

I have always rather regretted the “This forum is not a helpdesk” line in the How to help us help you post. It seems a little brusque, particularly towards people who lack the technical and/or language skills to explain a problem clearly. And, of course, there isn’t a helpdesk.

On the other hand, I haven’t seen the “Read the docs” jibe for some time.

And it can be very, very annoying when people plough on, blaming the integration/latest update/UI/protocol, without reading the answers and explanations they’ve been offered (and certainly not clicking on any of the links). You know who you are… :face_with_raised_eyebrow: :laughing:

On the whole, though, I find using the forum a positive experience. If a little addictive. :roll_eyes:

1 Like