Android: Control Home Automation with Tasker from Quick Toggles

Stuck in creating a profile? Can you explain more in detail?

I am having issues from toggle control downwards. Here are some screenshots. I have put the icon in my quick toggles and when I press it doesn’t do anything and stays grey.

What for message filter do you use for your notification?
You only have to use AutoApps command, with Command Filter: Toggle=:=
Inside your taks, then use Perform Task xxx if %aacomm~yourcommand.
I see you use if else command, why not using just Perform task and activate if, in the perform task?

The reason why it probably doesn’t work, is because you use Toglle=:=(xxxxx

Example is like this:

I set the autoapps command with command filter: toggle=:= but now I have my “toggle control” icon highlighted in blue under quick toggles.

Here is my setup.

Also am I meant to be putting “toggle control” in my quick toggles or?

Any recommendations @broesie?

@broesie Right so I finally managed to get it working.

However (there will always be a however), when I turn my switch on or off from the Homeassistant frontend the status or the icon does not update on my quick toggle.

Is this something normal or? If yes then is there a way where I could link the state of the toggles to Homeassistant frontend and vice versa?

Is anyone else experiencing the same? @atomicpapa @mefistofelis @hokagegano ?

In my case I use “join” to communicate between all my devices, even my rpi with hass… Just use a trigger that sends commands to my phone and you need to have only 1 profile…

Is there anyway you have a tutorial or a how-to guide to achieve this? I downloaded join and have tried playing around by looking at what you have done but cannot seem to make it work.

@broesie do I have to also create automation in my HA to get the state?

thanks.

@broesie so I set up the automation for join and set up tasker like your previous post but the state does not change in my quick toggles. I have used the same autonotification tile and the command after toggle (on the right? which i set up in my quick toggles.

There is no tutorial on this on the internet and it’s a bit difficult to use join and paying for it without any knowledge.

Thanks buddy.

automation:
- alias: Lights out
  initial_state: 'on'
  trigger:                                                                             platform: state
    entity_id: switch.heater
    to: 'on'
  action:
    service: joaoapps_join.s9_send_tasker
    data:
      command: "setvar=:=mheater=:=On"

First of all, let me explain why Join is so good. Because it can make your live so easy, especially if you have multiple devices. All my devices (chromes, computers, tablets, phones, and your Rpi,…). It is easy to communicate with them even without tasker. You can easily share stuff between them, take screenshots, send and reply sms, and way more. And with tasker integration, it is even way easier. All my communication runs on Join. Also the developer of Join and all the autoapps, is now also the developer of tasker. He is a good friend of me, and gives great support. All the autoapps work perfect with join…

Now about your profiles / tasks, etc…

Let me explain it again:
In my case I work with projects. I you are not familiar with projects, I suggest you, to work with it. It can be more categorized.

In my case I have a project with several tasks and profiles. The first project is called Toggles.
Inside that project I have a Profile and several tasks. In example I show you the task Toggle Living Top On/Off
As Profile you create a command filter by using autoapps and the command filter is: Toggle=:=
Inside the task, you just use perform task.

That is the Toggle itself.

Then I have also a Project called HA.
It has also a lot of tasks and profiles. In example the task to toggle the living room on.

You can create for everything whatever you want.

Now for the communication between HASS and your phone. I create a project Join. Also with profiles and tasks. The profile is called Join - Receive VARS and using a textfilter just setvar. The task is similar like the toggles, using perform tasks. But now it runs a different task called HA-Alert…

Then I have a project called HA - Alert. Inside HA-alert, I have only tasks, no profiles.
I’m using HA alert to let me visual know if something has changed, like flash or KLWP on my homescreen…
An example is HA alert Toplight off.

And one my homescreens on my phone is just something like this:

Inside my Hass, I call my automation for example this way:

notification

I hope that you understand it now. Have fun and happy easter!

1 Like

And if you have also a smartwatch running WearOS or Android Wear, you can even control you home assistant by using gestures or using menus…

In this example, it will show me a menu, just by shaking my watch:

screen

1 Like

Thank you. I have managed to get it working fine now.

Quick question is it possible to show the live temperature on quick toggle from my temperature sensor connected to home assistant?

Yep, that is also possible, see my home screen screenshot, I do the same with my best thermostat… So it similar… Use a httpget function… (In my case I use Autotools)…

1 Like

Is there any tutorials on this?

Ok, There are 2 ways to do it. You can use HTTP GET or you can use the AutoTools plugin.
Personal I prefer tot use AutoTools, because the programming is cleaner, and you don’t have to use split variables. You can realize it with only 1 action. If you don’t want to use a plugin, you still can realize is with HTTP GET…
I will explain both methods:

1. Using HTTP GET

• Do a HTTP GET: as port: yourhost/api/states/yourentity?api_password=xxxx
    In my case I use global variables, so I have it configure it 1 time in my programming.
    So mine will be: %HASS_STATE%HASS_TOPLICHT%HASS_PSW
  • Do a variable set %source to %HTTPD
  • Now you have to split the variables… If you don’t know what variables are, and what you can do, check my tutorial about variables: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2IJJlUGF9E
  • Do a variable split: %source splitter “state”
  • Do a variable split: %source2 splitter "
  • your result will be in %source21 (you can use a flash, to check it)
  • Then you can an if statement if you want…

2. Using AutoTools (no splitting work)

• Do a AutoTools Json Read: Json is same as the HTTPHost (first step as by using HTTP GET), field: state
  • Then I do an if statement, just for if it gives a timeout, it will do it again, till it works…
  • your result will be in %state variable

Here also an example to retrieve the temperature of my Nest thermostat:

1 Like

Also I’m create my own Wiki of Home Assistant and Tasker integration on my Github, So it will easier to find things back…

The link will be:

4 Likes

Hey @broesie so I have followed the 1st method. However my temperature readings containg a " and a } after the temperature reading. For example it’s 23.7"}

What am I doing wrong? I have followed your method.

hi @broesie

is it possible if you could show how to connect to tasker using the new authorization method from HA?

thanks.

Have a look at this thread: Tutorial: Using the new Auth system with tasker