Android location update suddenly slow

Thanks for your reply

Oh okey that is interesting. I just try to manage my apps now like android 12 intended. By not closing them ever in the app overview. Maybe that makes a difference over time.

I will try that with Logcat and see what i can get out of it. But probably only in a couple of days.

Today it was at 1300 but i just changed it to 2000 to see if that works better.

Again thank you very much for your help!

Where are you getting that map?

You can choose the map card in lovelace and add your device_tracker and your zones to it. Also set the “hours to show” to something like 2. That way you can see the location “path”

Were you ever able to resolve this? I think I’m having the same issue with my Pixel 6 Pro. I only just installed my Home Assistant server about 2 weeks ago and am just now trying to setup zones and location tracking, but the location doesn’t update very often.

You should start by reading and following the troubleshooting steps started from the second post and keep reading and look at the logs that are also in the post. Everything to start troubleshooting is there.

Just one question to the updates. If enabled single accurate location (standard interval of one minute), even if google (or its api) doesn’t update the location, should i see a log entry every minute (even with the same location) or only if google’s api updates the location?
The reason i ask is that sometimes there are 2-3 minutes between the location log entries, and i wonder if it is the companion app or simple the (missing) update of location from google…

So this sensor only gets used when we get a location report and it doesnt meet the accuracy requirements. It is also used when you issue a notification command to request_location_updates and also by means of an Intent. The companion docs cover this in detail.

this is to be expected by the app. First variable is requested interval, second is passive updates like when GPS is used by google maps navigation, third is the longest to wait for an update to remain battery friendly. Its actually not 5 minutes like the comment says its 3 minutes 20 seconds :slight_smile:

if you want anything faster than that then use high accuracy mode

Ok, many thanks for clearing, i understand how it is meant to be and how it works. Keep on going your good work :grinning:

1 Like

Hello dshokouhi

First of all, sorry for my disappearing i had a lot of work to do. Second, thanks for your work in the companion app, the websocket implementation is very nice!

Now for my location issue; I tested the behaviour the last 2 months and i noticed some things.
It is indeed an accuracy issue. It looks like HA has trouble to “recover” from a location with low accuracy. Most of the time i had an accuracy which didn’t meet the required threshold, the companion app didn’t receive any new location request for ~10 minutes.
This might be an underlying problem with the google provided location (?) because when i opened google maps, the location was also shown incorrect for about ~2 seconds. After that, the google maps location was updated and HA followed instantly.
Also, when i noticed no location update i removed my zones condition from the high accuracy sensor. The persistant notification always shows values above my minimum accuracy value. ~1000, ~1500, sometimes up to ~1800.

I granted google and google maps to request location all the time. I also noticed that my google maps accuracy is marked as medium.

Some days everything works perfect, some days it doesn’t seem to work at all.

I created an automation to use the request_location_update notification when my Pixel disconnects from my car BT. This helps with most my location based automations but sadly not with all of them.

I guess there is not much that can be done about it. Do you think it may be simply a GPS fluctuation Problem?

Thanks