Android TV Card - Universal Remote with Touchpad, Slider, and Keyboard Support

It’s because I want to use the Plex “Skip” functionality rather than the direct Forward / Rewind functionality.

I thought that your Apple TV example you have in the ReadMe would just send the same Android Remote skip “command” to the Android App running on the Android TV device.

I didn’t think it would be an Andorid App specific “command”, but more of an Android Remote “command” to an Android TV OS that then feeds whatever Android App is running ?

The Apple TV example is for Apple TV, it won’t work with Android TV. As far as I know, Android TV doesn’t have a separate skip button.

You might (I don’t know if this will produce desired behavior) be able to add skip functionality to the fast_forward and rewind buttons by creating new custom actions with hold_secs in their data. Try this:

custom_actions:
  skip_forward:
    tap_action:
      action: call-service
      service: remote.send_command
      data:
        entity_id: remote.android_tv
        command: fast_forward
        hold_secs: 2

Version 3.4.0 has just been released and contains some requested features:

• An alternate momentary button mode to fire one action when a button is initially held and a separate action when released.
  • Customizable timings for the delay between repeat when held actions, double tap window, and time to trigger hold action.
  • Better Fire TV keyboard support.
1 Like

I’ll try the workaround solution, but still a bit confused about the underlying issue.

I thought that the Apple TV section was for Apple TV app on the Android TV OS. Therefore the command would be to deliver a generic Android TV OS skip function call to any Android TV App.

Are you saying that the Android TV Plex App does not have an interface in the Android TV OS that supports the skip command but the Android TV Apple TV App does ?

I’d be surprised if Android TV OS had specific function calls for specific apps ?

No, the Apple TV example is for physical Apple TV devices. Android TV doesn’t have a separate skip button, the Android TV Plex app doesn’t have skip buttons, and there are no app specific commands.

Hello @giof94is and @Nerwyn - Thank you for your contributions. I am trying to get this to work with my Samsung TV, and while the app, volume, and power buttons work, it seems that the Home button, touch input, etc. does not bring up the app selector menu on my Samsung TVs or otherwise allow me to traverse the menus. Any ideas?

Ok, I’ve figured it out. It seems the example is incorrect on the help page. The format for these keys should be in the format of:

center:
    tap_action:
      action: call-service
      service: remote.send_command
      target:
        entity_id: remote.samsung_tv
      data:
        command: KEY_ENTER

The Samsung TV example was provided by another user here. It looks like I neglected to mention that it uses this custom component.

hey would u mind sharing the yaml code, this looks awesome

Dear community,

since updating my Android TV to version 12, some commands do not work anymore (e.g. TV, CHANNEL_UP and CHANNEL_DOWN). Other still do (e.g. dpad commands or HOME).

Did someone experience the same issue?

I solved it by using adb debugging commands and the Android Debug Bridge Integration but it’s more complicated and I don’t like debugging to be permanently activated.

Any ideas?

All the best and kind regards
Benedikt

How do I insert yaml code??

Version 3.6.0 has been released and implements several recent feature requests:

• Support for the fire-dom-event action for use with browser-mod popup card.
  • Slider tooltip style options (tooltip was added in 3.5.0) for changing it’s value, display, offset, and transform function.
  • Autofill remote and media player IDs in service calls for convenience when using this card with alternate media platforms.
  • Unique IDs for rows and columns for advanced styling using card-mod.
2 Likes

Version 3.7.0 has been released and adds full Roku keyboard support. I do not have a Roku, but @dgoodwin430 has confirmed that it’s working for him. If you do run into any issues using it, please let me know either here or on the GitHub repo issues section.