Android TV Remote integration

I’m trying to set up the new “Android TV Remote” integration, and I’m getting a “failed to connect” message when I enter the IP address of the TV.

I currently have the older integration which is now renamed the “Android Debug Bridge”, do I need to remove or disable that first, or can the both be active at the same time?

I’ve tried disabling the original “Android TV” integration, but I’m still unable to connect the new integration.

1 Like

I just set up the remote integration, and it’s working alongside the debug bridge.

1 Like

Ok, thanks, that at least removes that as a possible cause. I had gotten the impression they would both work at the same time when watching the launch this afternoon.

Not sure why it’s not working, but I have had issues with the older integration in the past. Might be this system doesn’t like my tv. My mom won it in her office Christmas party several years ago and gave it to me; I’m assuming it’s a cheaper, lower end model. It’s a Toshiba Fire TV.

Was the device auto discovered or are you trying to manually add it using its IP address? If it’s the latter, it’s likely the device doesn’t have the required service being a Fire TV. The documentation links to the required service. No idea if you could side load it on a Fire TV. If you manage to do so, it would be good to update the documentation.

I think this is my problem as well: it doesn’t seem to work with the Fire TV. Mine is an Amazon Fire TV, the newer model within about the past year.

Anyone luck with connecting to an Xiaomi MIBOX 4? I’m also only getting failed to connect.

Thanks, I was guessing this was the case. I think there was a separate “Fire TV” integration originally, which switched over to the combined “Android/Fire” integration.

I figured it was because the new remote integration was specifically only for Android, not Amazon Fire TV.

So does that mean a FireTV device can no longer be used with Home Assistant? I find myself in a similar situation since the previous official Fire TV integration was removed from Home Assistant.

This integration should work with a fire TV: Android Debug Bridge - Home Assistant

Although it’s pretty slow. I’ve setup an alternative here if you want to get your hands dirty: Control your FireTv / AndroidTv over WiFi without ADB - #13 by foxy82