Announcement: AppDaemon 2.1.0, 2.1.2

Hi all - I am happy to announce a new feature packed release of AppDaemon!

Firs things first:

some of the dashboard compile files have changed which means you need to take action to remove the compiled files after the upgrade - see below for more details

We have a lot of cool new stuff in this release!

• The ability to refer to entities states directly rather than requiring a call to get_state() - this can make for cleaner code
  • RESTFul API Support - you can now use AD’s RESTFull interface to pass data directly to your APPs
  • Alexa Support - you can use an AD APP to directly accept requests and respond back to Alexa
  • HADashboard Remote Access - A bunch of changes have now made HADashboard remote access friendly, including SSL support and password based security
  • You can now use !secret in your configuration files to help make sharing of configs easier and safer

Enjoy :slight_smile:

Note: Raspbian users may need to install cffi libraries:

$ sudo apt-get install libffi-dev

To remove compiled dashboards, either:

1. Completely remove the compiled subdirectory in your configuration directory:
$ cd <path to configuration directlry>
$ rm -rf compiled
  1. If you prefer, in your appdaemon.yaml file ad:
  dash_compile_on_start: '1'

Then visit all of your dashboards. When you have fored all the dashboards to recompile, you can remove the directive and restart AppDaemon.

Here are the version notes:

Features

• Add a reference to official vkorn repository for hass.io
  • Add the ability to access hass state as App attributes
  • Add RESTFul API Support for Apps
  • Add disable_dash directive to enable API access without Dashboards
  • Add Alexa Helper functions
  • Update Material Design Icons to 1.9.32 - contributed by minchick
  • Use relative URLs for better remote behavior - contributed by Daniel Trnka
  • Add SSL Support
  • Add Password security for screens and HASS proxying functions
  • Add support for secrets in the AppDaemon configuration file
  • Add support for secrets in HADashboard configuration files
  • dash_navigate() now takes an optional screen to return to

Fixes

Breaking Changes

• Compiled dashboards may need to be deleted after this upgrade
2 Likes

I just tried updating to 2.1.0 and am getting a compiler error when it tries to build _cffi_backend. I’m not running under Docker. I switch over to the homeassistant user and use a pip3 upgrade. If I try to install just cffi alone with pip3, I get the same error. Here is the error:

Command "/srv/homeassistant/bin/python3 -u -c "import setuptools, tokenize;__file__='/tmp/pip-build-5u18u4tw/cffi/setup.py';f=getattr(tokenize, 'open', open)(__file__);code=f.read().replace('\r\n', '\n');f.close();exec(compile(code, __file__, 'exec'))" install --record /tmp/pip-pw67c11i-record/install-record.txt --single-version-externally-managed --compile --install-headers /srv/homeassistant/include/site/python3.4/cffi" failed with error code 1 in /tmp/pip-build-5u18u4tw/cffi/

Thanks.

Ken

I just reproduced this on a Pi - I presume you are running on a PI? The cause is a dependency pulled in by the bcrypt package I am using for password hashin for HADasboard security.

I fixed it by installing the cffi development library:

$ sudo apt-get install libffi-dev

Then the appdaemon install proceeded as expected.

Yup. It’s a Pi. I realized after I posted the original that I forgot to mention that. The solution worked like a charm. Thanks.

Ken

1 Like

Hi,

I have another issue when installing on a less common platform, I am using Appdaemon on an android phone in a linux Debian Jessie chroot environment (linuxdeploy). In V2.0.8 this is working as planned but when trying to upgrade to V2.1.0 I get the following error-report.
Any ideas how to do something about it ?

[ADDITIONAL] it seems to be the bcrypt module that creates the issue. I cannot install this it seems on one of my Android phones. Trying to solve that now

[SOLUTION] it seems that bcrypt is depending on python3-dev so a simple
sudo apt-get install python3-dev
solved my issues. Hope anyone that encounters this will be helped by this.

regards

Cor

OUTPUT
Installing collected packages: cffi, bcrypt, appdaemon
Running setup.py install for cffi: started
Running setup.py install for cffi: finished with status ‘error’
Complete output from command /usr/bin/python3 -u -c “import setuptools, tokenize;file=’/tmp/pip-build-jtwxcbea/cffi/setup.py’;f=getattr(tokenize, ‘open’, open)(file);code=f.read().replace(’\r\n’, ‘\n’);f.close();exec(compile(code, file, ‘exec’))” install --record /tmp/pip-cndvsocf-record/install-record.txt --single-version-externally-managed --compile:
running install

arm-linux-gnueabihf-gcc -pthread -DNDEBUG -g -fwrapv -O2 -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -g -fstack-protector-strong -Wformat -Werror=format-security -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 -fPIC -DUSE__THREAD -DHAVE_SYNC_SYNCHRONIZE -I/usr/include/ffi -I/usr/include/libffi -I/usr/include/python3.4m -c c/_cffi_backend.c -o build/temp.linux-armv7l-3.4/c/_cffi_backend.o
c/_cffi_backend.c:2:20: fatal error: Python.h: No such file or directory
#include <Python.h>
^
compilation terminated.
error: command ‘arm-linux-gnueabihf-gcc’ failed with exit status 1

1 Like

I just released 2.1.2 with a couple of additional features:

Features

• Add `get_alexa_slot_value()
  • Add log_size and log_generations config parameters
  • Add additional debugging to help Docker users
1 Like

I may have missed this while looking through these posts but is there a sensor that could be added to HA to show the current running version of AppDaemon? Similar to the current version displayed for Home Assistant? This way we would know what version we are currently running and also verify that the new upgrade works as intended.

That would be easy to do - sure.

hey mate i was just wondering if dashboard is still under heavy development as floorplan get really great so far. but for some no programmers like me dashboard might be the better solution.I I was wondering is Color picker and input slider will come. like widget alarm.

Yes very much so - I am doing a lot of work behind the scenes to integrate AppDaemon and HADashboard directly with Home Assistant. I also just released the custom widget kit so people can write widgets and contribute them back. Finally, one day I would also like to integrate Floorplan into HADashboard. So a lot is planned, but there is only one of me!

2 Likes

i know my freidn u r very alone here for this project but it rocks so hard and i will follow u. unfortunately i am not a programmer and cant contribute :frowning: But lets talk in the chat :slight_smile: