Another Samba share problem with Windows 10

I am not win10 (1909). Yesterday I set all these features and was able to get Hassio samba from win explorer. But today win10 does not access the hassio samba again. Checked all those features - all selected… but does not work… it does not even ping it… What else to check?
btw, at the same time I can access hassio share from macOS… no issue. But how d I do it from win10.

Unbelievable. it has just started working again… f%ck… i just restarted one tasmota switch… how comes??? im ff%%%cking puzzled w this win10

We will use blame Microsoft again lol

win10 does not see the hassio again… it can not ping it even… something wrong with networking in win10 or with my router… any guess what can I check?

• win10 does not ping devices which are connected to the router using ethernet and at the same time does ping all wifi connected devices.
  • if I connect win10 with ethernet cable I can ping and I can get hassio samba. and ping any device in my network: wifi, eth…
    seems this proglem appears once win10 on wifi… any guess?

The solution to most peoples problems with SAMBA shares not showing would be cured if Homeassistant supported WSDD. This could be enabled by running this simple python script in the SAMBA docker container:
WSDD Github Python Script
It ‘Just Works’ and requires no configuring (I use it on my main Ubuntu Server).
Alex

Thank you, its work.
I just insert the following after setup samba share in HA.

\\192.168.0.111\config

The user id and password prompt. Cheers

1 Like

My Samba access has worked well for over a year. Two days ago it stopped working. Had a mapped drive on my windows 10 machine. Have Samba V1 installed. I have no idea what MS changed on their update, but I don’t see what is causing my issue.

My Samba config

workgroup: '1'
username: xxxx
password: xxxxxxxx
interface: eth0
allow_hosts:
  - 10.0.0.0/8
  - 172.16.0.0/12
  - 192.168.1.1/16
veto_files:
  - ._*
  - .DS_Store
  - Thumbs.db
  - icon?
  - .Trashes
compatibility_mode: false
map:
  config: 'true,'
  addons: 'true,'
  ssl: 'false,'
  share: 'true,'
  backup: true

I have played with

• 192.168.1.1/16
    tried /24
    192.168.0.0 /16
    192.168.0.0 /24
    Noting works.
    Worked fine for a year with 192.168.0.0 /16
    Just stopped.
    Any ideas?

Brilliant, solution is so simple…I tried all the 101 suggested from 2018 to 2019,
i think I tried more than 20ways, change dozen of windows10 settings. I wonder if I breaks anything by doing all those things, opening stuffs, enable stuffs, so much so that I do not remember what I did and I have trouble to remember how to and what to reverse the setting since they are all not working…Thanks a zillion…for the fantastic “\\”…but I dont understand why I could access HA folder without keying in the username and passwork that I set up in Samba Configuration. Maybe that infor is already in windows memory as I have tried so many times previously?!?

Thanks for the “\\”…

OOPS, I tried on hte next day, hahaha, its still back to the same problem, sometime it coonect by chance and most of the time it doesn’t connect. Not sure what ts the problem.

I have just gone through multiple threads, and as of MAY 2021, I am able to get into the HOMEASSISTANT network folder on WIN10 (OS Build 19042.985) by doing the following:
-enabling SMB 1.0 in optional features
-using the following configuration in HA/Samba (add your computer logon data, remove the +, make sure you have the apostrophe surrounding the password field):

workgroup: WORKGROUP
username: +your Windows logon user+
password: +‘your Windows logon password’+
allow_hosts:

• ‘*’
    veto_files:
  • ._*
  • .DS_Store
  • Thumbs.db
  • icon?
  • .Trashes

It seems Windows is too stupid to prompt you with a logon window, and just blindly uses your Windows username and password. I found no way to actually fix this behavior, so you just have to set Samba in HA to use the same login info. Dumb windows…

1 Like

Works perfectly without SMBv1. Activating SMB 1.0 is strongly discouraged anyway.

Maybe you didn’t create a username and password to log into Samba in the first place?

sudo smbpasswd -a USERNAME_OF_YOUR_CHOICE
sudo service smbd restart

Hi Tamsy,

Maybe to give you a little prospective from another user that had Samba issues. When I had issues it was usually on one of my windows computers. Never had a Samba issue with Android or Linux systems.
I was never able really find the root cause. This is why users post (wrongly) in multiple places as they are very frustrated with something that should be easy. When it works correctly it is very easy. They place the blame on HA (wrongly) as they are most like not using Samba with other programs. I had Samba installed with my NAS and it worked with this and not with HA. Again, no idea why as I was using identical credentials. I hate fixes that start working again without me understanding why!.

Something with the way Microsoft is implementing security or networking with Windows 10 causes the issue. I lost Samba on one PC (windows 10 home) after a windows update. I restored a backup and reupdated and magically Samba worked again. No idea why. I also turned on samba 1 in windows and left the samba settings as false and this worked one time.

When I went to Debian and Hassio supervisor two of my PCs worked with no issues. One did not. Had to try many things before it worked. To be honest, I really don’ know what fixed the issue.
Without knowing what is causing the problem (like my PI with HAOS) it is very difficult to fix. I believe people are offering what worked for them.

Really need a windows network expert to help here.

Replying as had a couple of days and an absolute barnie with this problem too!

Ended up being resolved simply …

Base config code in the hassio app is:

username: homeassistant
password: YOUR_PASSWORD
allow_hosts:

• 10.0.0.0/8
  • 172.16.0.0/12
  • 192.168.0.0/16
  • fe80::/10
    veto_files:
  • “._*”
  • “.DS_Store”
  • Thumbs.db

My IP range is actually 192.168.20. ----

So I updated config per:

username: homeassistant_username
password: homeassistant_password
allow_hosts:

• 10.0.20.0/8
  • 172.16.20.0/12
  • 192.168.20.0/16
  • fe80::/10
    veto_files:
  • ._*
  • .DS_Store
  • Thumbs.db
  • icon?
  • .Trashes

Go figure… Works now perfectly and looks like the attached

Oh and I should also add, I went to == Windows explorer → Network

Then in the search pane on the top right, I entered “\192.168.20.##” and then it prompted to enter username and password and it works

Maybe unrelated to issues others have experienced, but I noticed today couldn’t see a bunch of directories (similar issue others have reported). Through trial and error I found the only directories I couldn’t see had five-character names; longer names were visible. So /config/www/icons (which I’d just created) wasn’t visible on Win10, but when I created /config/www/icons2 it was!

My solution was to copy all files and directories to …/icons2. I then deleted …/icons and renamed …/icons2 to …/icons (which Immediately disappeared from Win10). Problem solved, no idea whether this is noob user dumb-ness or system issue.

It seems Windows is too stupid to prompt you with a logon window, and just blindly uses your Windows username and password. I found no way to actually fix this behavior, so you just have to set Samba in HA to use the same login info.

I actually did find a solution to this problem:
If you open the Credential Manager in Windows, you can add a new Windows Credential with the IP of your HA instance and the credentials you configured in the Samba Add-on.
If you try to access \\192.168.X.Y Windows will use the credentials you created and access will be granted.

3 Likes

yet another one to add to the list…

i’ve just reinstalled HA and restored a Snapshot from 1 month ago (I had no problems then) but I cant connect to my mapped drive anymore.

I can ping the IP no problem. but nothing when I try to open the IP in file explorer.

i’ve been to the credential manager and set that up, nothing…
ive tried connecting though network by searching for my IP , \IP , \IP, /IP, //IP all with no results.

I’ve ensured my IP range is correct in the setup also.

I’m using Windows 10 V21H1 HA is (Core-2021.8.8 , OS 6.2) on a R Pi 4, Samba is 9.5.1

any help?

I have been trying to solve this Samba issue for a thousand years, even attempted the SSH method. In the end, this step worked for me.

What I did were:

1. Enabled all discovery and sharing in “Network and Sharing Center”.
  2. Enabled SMB1 under “Windows Feature”. This allowed the HASSIO to appear under “My Network”.
  3. Create the credential with the Server Name as what appear under “My Network”. In my case it was “HASSIO”. Enter the Username and Password as configure in SambaShare.

Btw, my windows does not require a password to log on.

1 Like

this worked for me

This worked for me, without having to enable SMB 1.
Thanks!

I’m resolved the problem in Windows 11 indicating the same user that I have in Windows. And if the name of user have “@”, this don’t work with HA. I need to created a new local usar in windows, and indicate this user in samba configuration. Works fine. thank you very much.