Any non-cloud smart thermostats out there?

I love the idea of Nest/Ecobee and the like, but do not like the fact that they all seem to mandate cloud connectivity. Do any cloud-free options exist (for the US market)?

1 Like

Buy a generic z-wave, wifi, etc. thermostat and make it smart with Home Assistant. I am looking at getting rid of my nest as I use home assistant to do all the ‘smart’ functions anyway.

Thanks, that was my thinking as well, just wasn’t sure were to look. I found this one that looks interesting. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06W9J1V7Y/ref=s9_dcacsd_dcoop_bw_c_x_2_w

I asked about z-wave thermostats awhile back and got a few responses. This one was recommended and is about 1/2 the price of what you linked. I

https://www.thesmartesthouse.com/collections/thermostats-1/products/radio-thermostat-z-wave-communicating-touch-screen-thermostat-ct101-iris-version

1 Like

I really like the Trane zwave thermostat…wish it was wifi but works great.

• Nice design
  • simple operation (works as a thermostat should work)

https://www.amazon.com/TRANE-Thermostat-Z-Wave-Works-Amazon/dp/B00SYPSIRU

I used radiotherm and nest and hated both.

• Nest was over complicated.
  • Radio therm had crap wifi setup process, controls were unresponsive and weird (not like a standard thermostat). Just didnt like it.
1 Like

So, the radiotherm you tried was wifi, rather than z-wave?

Yes…didn’t like ui or touch interface.
it was model CT50. Other models may be better but u looks to be same so I presume there is no difference

I use this guy. Super basic battery powered zwave, no built in schedules just fan: on/auto cool/heat/off and temp, exactly what I was looking for. HA does the rest. Never a hiccup with it.

https://www.amazon.com/GoControl-Thermostat-Z-Wave-Battery-Powered-Amazon/dp/B00ZIRV40K

1 Like

i also use the GoControl and generally like it. unlike azeroth12, i’ve found it to have a few hiccups here and there. biggest issue is occasionally it will receive a z-wave command and get stuck in “waiting” mode for a handful of minutes before the thermostat gets set.

also, it’s worth stressing that it either operates off the C wire OR batteries (i.e. it doesn’t have battery backup for wired power).

despite a few issues, i still like it overall. i had a couple CT50s before. they mostly worked but were sometimes big headaches – inability to reset wifi, can’t clear the thermostat schedule, blatantly incorrect documentation, etc.

i’ve wished for a long time there were a pretty cloud-less z-wave or open local API thermostat. i love the look of the heatit z-wave thermostat, but i think it’s only for high voltage floor heating (and might be only european frequency anyway).

Also can be configured (set custom temperature min/max values and other things)

Interesting never had the “waiting” mode happen. It’s never missed a beat for me. It is about 3 feet from a repeater which is about 4 feet from the hub.

I’m guessing you mean the Advance System Settings here?

Yeah I guess I wasn’t referring to internal safety’s and configs. Mostly just that it doesn’t have all the crap that the nest has. You’re right though, it has a few hvac parameters that can be adjusted internally.

Do you know if the Trane XR524 has an auto mode for heating and cooling? My current Trane thermo allows me to set a temp range on the full auto setting.

YES. Switches between heat/cool automatically.

Awesome, thanks. How’s the setup/integration with HA and the XR524?

There is no specific component (just climate)
You have Heat/cool entity exposed as well as others.
currently I have Heat/cool entities in group tab. and Auto Heat/Cool set on thermostat. It is not elegant but this is HA limitation. In the future might try to make this pretty but now I just like the simplicity.

I had Radiotherm and Nest previously.
Radiotherm was ugly unit and setup/operation horrible
Nest was nice but price too much/features unneeded
The Trane was simple and display (text/color) is nice in it simplistic style.

Any idea if this thermostat acts as a repeater? Assuming it does since it’s powered by c-wire and not batteries.

Not sure but at some point I thought I saw that it did

I’m also looking for a thermostat option to interface with HA.
I want WiFi, I hope for temperature reading, but except from that, a basic switch would do, the smart will come from HA.
Any clue ?