Any power strip recommendations?

Does anyone have a recommendation for a power strip with multiple EU plugs?

I can’t seem to find any for wifi or z-wave. Preferably for use with HA directly without yet another controller.
Aeotec have one (z-wave), but only with US plugs.

I currently have 14 TP-link HS110 plugs with a single connector but in some places I have 3 of them together and that justs seems silly when a power strip could do the trick.

Which EU plug are you referring to? I have seen the “UK” type plug, the “German” type plug, and the “generic two prong pin” plugs.

Here is a semi-universal one from Tripp-Lite (good name brand) listed on Amazon. 230v UK power strip

My solution was to buy any strip and hack a sonoff with a tasmota firmware on it in front. You don’t have per channel on and off settings but I am quite ok with it.

If you feel adventure enough you can build one with a esp8266 and a relay (they are cheap and you can find easily with 2/4/6/8 channels) and flash EspEasy (relays will work immediately after connected) and connect everything to Hass with MQTT.

I have a power strip from Xiaomi but it isn’t EU and I can only control all channels together (either all off or all on) though WiFi. Mostly I use Sonoffs flashed with Tasmota or esp8266+relays flashed with EspEasy

@txNgineer It’s properly a german schuko type plug. I live in Denmark.

@bboti86 I need an on/off switch for every channel. But the tasmota firmware look interesting.

I’m not a huge fan of a DYI solution when it comes to 230volt and would prefer a “finished” solution.
The Ubiquiti mFi power strip could be a solution, but they need a mFi controller to run.
The only z-wave power strip i can find is this, but no one seems to sell it. I can find one reseller in Denmark, but it’s never in stock. (This is the schuko version. Theres others too.)
https://products.z-wavealliance.org/products/57

Ubiquiti mFi seems to be discontinued so not gonna buy that one…

I got a Sonoff 4ch and 4 short extension cords, put the sonoff in a waterproof box, cut the cords in half and wired all together. Sorry I have no picture to show, now it is sitting behind a bookshelf… think something like this with the sonoff in the box:

1 Like

Would something like this:
z-wave metering plug - schuko
and a regular non-switching power strip be a solution for you?

Nice looking device and meters the energy as well.

That’s still only one channel. I need multiple separate channels so I can turn the device on/off separately.

I bought this xiaomi one 1 week ago: https://www.gearbest.com/electronics-gadgets/pp_310701.html

It’s generic so you can plug EU. I can’t tell you if you can integrate with HASS and if you can turn the device on/off separately, since mine has not yet arrived. But take a look, seems awesome for me as it monitoring the electricity comsuption too.

I’m still expecting delivery, but I went for the Broadlink MP1. 4 plugs, can manually turn on/off all at once on the device, and can be controlled independently from HA. Native support.
It’s generic plugs too, can install EU, US, UK plugs, but without earth.

There’s a MP2 device too, that has only 3 plugs but adds USB plugs. Seems like the USB cannot be turned on/off.

at the bottom of the page they answer that you cant switch them seperatly.

Is the Broadlink new? I don’t remember seeing it in the docs when I bought my RM-pro in september…

Please report your experience when you try it, it seems very promising!

I’ve seen it since I searched for automation and I’m a little new at this (installed HA in october), it looks like it’s one year old. I even fear it’s in end of life because the MP2 is now out (and has, for my use, less interest). But I checked on aliexpress/banggood/gearbest/name your favorite chinese supplier !, not on “official” sites.

From the documentation and information I gathered in this forum and in the online HA documentation, it works and several people have shared configuration with it.
See here when it was integrated.

The limit of this device is that you can turn on/off each plug only remotely. The switch on it only works for the whole set. Works for my use, I’ll plug 2 ambient lights and the living room camera but the “welcome light” will be on another plug, using a SC1 device so that it can be turned on the old fashioned way :wink:

I should have missed it by a couple weeks, it was supported in HA 0.54, released September 23. Thanks for the hint.

You are right, a button for every plug would be convenient. Thas’t what i missed when I used the Avidsen 433mhz plugs. Now I’m replacing them with Sonoff receivers and each one has a nice button to press when you don’t have a phone handy :grin:

I received it yesterday and it took me a couple of minutes to make it work and replace my TPLink HS110 in the HA configuration.
To be honest, the longer step was getting the mac address and use it to allow it in the WiFi AP and force the DHCP address.
Configuration as usual with an android phone, you have to be connected in WiFi (any SSID), enter the SSID name (can be different from the one you’re connected to !) and the key, press configure.
After a few seconds, the blue led stops blinking, it’s connected ! (if you are connected to a different SSID, application will say it failed, but it didn’t :wink: )

The configuration in HA is as described in the documentations :

- platform: broadlink
    host: !secret mp1_host
    mac: !secret mp1_mac
    type: mp1
    friendly_name: "MP1"
    slots:
      # Lampe
      slot_1: 'Lampe_Bar'
      # 
      slot_2: 'Prise_2'
      # 
      slot_3: 'Prise_3'
      # Camera salon
      slot_4: 'Prise_Cam_Salon'

The only unexpected behaviour is that the friendly name has no use if you name each slot.
In my example, I expected to access the ‘switch.MP1’ entity but it doesn’t exist. so you have to refer to the slot individually.

It’s much smaller than what I expected which is nice but a large plug could cover the next slot, such as an USB phone charger. That’s why the camera adapter has gone in the slot 4 where there’s space left without blocking another slot.
No adapter needed for all plug format I could test (EU, UK, China), but some would need an adapter to keep the earth.

Looks like D-Link is going to release one:
http://www.dlink.com/dk/da/press-centre/press-releases/2018/january/07/d-link-launches-new-smart-plug-and-power-strip

Not sure if it’s still relevant, but I came across this article on Tasmota’s Github wiki: https://github.com/arendst/Sonoff-Tasmota/wiki/ZEOOTA-Wifi-Smart-Power-Strip-4-EU-outlets-with-4-USB-ports

@lurkie It’s not relevant for me anymore but thanks for adding it to the thread :slightly_smiling_face: