Any recommendation for geiger counter that can be integrated to HA?

Unless you live very close to where the bomb explodes then you will more likely know about the bomb from news before the Geiger counter does.

But I remember I read some Geiger counters that was “home made” with Arduino, without looking to carefully, I assume the Arduino can be replaced with an ESP or somehow communicate with an ESP.

i live decent distance from any hotspots but measuring would be nice. Yep, any Pi or Arduino solutions would be great

You are right, but if a nuclear incident does occur, people will be rightly interested in radiation levels over a large area, for a long time. Remember Chernobyl? (Maybe you don’t, I am older than many geeks!)

I have been there twice. So yes.
We visited some of the restricted parts of the area such as the vehicles that was used for cleanup.
The radiation levels are very local (a few centimeters make big difference), having a Geiger counter inside your wifi network is less of use than a handheld that functions outside the wifi network.

1 Like

ideally LoRaWAN geiger would be great that i can place outside, but i am not dreaming. Any solution users made would be interesting. According CNN one nuke plant is already on fire in UA.

Google geiger counter ESP8266 you probably would find something.

maybe this one, seems to be good one but have not found HA integration yet Wireless Smart Geiger (BSG-001) - YouTube

I must have missed this topic.

Regarding the fire, that was not the nuclear plant that was on fire, it was an adjacent office building.

“But it could have been”

Sure. But nuclear plants are not going to explode because a few rounds hit them.
I would doubt you even could make it explode given how diluted the uranium is inside a power plant compared to whet you have in bombs.
And the walls on a plant should be tough enough to stand a great deal of rounds.
And all the fail-safes inside a plant should keep it safe.

So for this reason, I don’t see a reason to be worried.
But regarding the other nuclear threat, I argue that too, but that wouldn’t be fact based, only opinions and guesses.

clearly you never read the East media, just the Western BS.
Recently the power lines / power transformers were destroyed that giving power to the nuke plant Chernobyl.
If power supply cut off the cooling system stops, so we have a good chance it will heat up and game over.
So, there is a reason to be prepper these days.

Jesus

3 Mile Island
Chernobyl
Fukushima
Windscale/Sellafield

While there may not have been a mushroom cloud over any of those sites, they were all out world changing disasters.

From what I’m told, modern nuclear power plants use a different design to those of the Chernobyl era and as such they don’t continue heating to oblivion if the cooling water stops.

Obviously Chernobyl does not have that luxury, although apparently it’s not going to be a problem since the old fuel has cooled enough over the years…

So this was not an adjacent office building you say? Please enlighten me then.

So now you just moved your focus from one place to another plant about 800 km away?
Ok… I can follow along.
Chernobyl has been fuel free since 2013.

State law programme to decommission the power plant
On 7 January 2010, the Ukrainian Government passed a state law to transform the Chernobyl shelter facility into an environmentally safe system to protect the surroundings from radiation. The programme is being executed in four stages.
Nuclear fuel was moved to a storage facility in the first stage, which was completed in 2013.

Without fuel? Really? Is this your “eastern media” saying this or is it your guesses?
And even if I follow along your game and say yes, the cooling stops (which I assume it already is), and the heat up starts, that is “just” a melt down.
Nothing makes a bang.
You just get a big pile of melt uranium at the bottom of the plant just like in Chernobyl 4.

And again, there are multiple fail safes in a nuclear plant that makes sure it shouldn’t happen.
Back in the days of Chernobyl there was a major difference, the fail safes was manually deactivated.

None of them has blown up. None of them has caused a chain reaction that lead to an explosion.

Chernobyl is the only one that actually blew up to an extent, but you need to keep in mind that Soviet nuclear plants was so safe they didn’t need a outer containment shell (not my belief, that was the Soviet mantra). Well, obviously they did.
And since then (as far as I know) they all have has a outer shell that keeps explosions and leakage inside the building.

The concentration of uranium inside a plant is very low, it can’t chain react to a nuclear explosion.
If the eastern media says that then they are wrong. Most nuclear bombs use Plutonium, those that use uranium needs to enrich it first.
Just for fun I googled it to find the “accurate” number:

• Uranium enriched to concentrations above 0.7% but less than 20% uranium-235 is defined as low enriched uranium (LEU) Most nuclear reactors use LEU that is about 3-5% uranium-235.
  • States with nuclear weapons typically use so-called weapons-grade HEU, which is typically defined as 90% HEU or above, to minimize weapons’ size.

They are so far apart that it’s barely the same thing. I mean try and give your wife a 3-5% gold ring on the wedding.

Are you really saying that none of those events gave rise to a rise in radiation levels anywhere in the world?

Or that there is no nuclear risk of warfare or catastrophe in the world right now?

Yeah the only reason I don’t have a geiger counter is I live at the bottom of the pacific, and even then I am worried as f.

Calling people idiot is not acceptable here.

Keep it on topic please. There are other places to discuss nuclear reactor safety.

1 Like

I believe that Hellis is trying to highlight the fact that the Zaporizhzhia NPP design is different (and improved) from previous ones. (Well, in a way, every npp is different.)

So @rancho what solution have you found so far, when you googling around? Which route you are planning to take on, to achieve what you are trying to do?

Hi! You also may use our product GGreg20_V3. I’m using it too - here, in Ukraine. This module is based on SBM-20 GM-tube and compatible.
GGreg20_V3 product link:

or GGreg20_V3 product page on Tindie:

Also please note, that GGreg20_V3 has dedicated GitHub repo for Home Assistant integration using ESPHome firmware:

GGreg20_V3 Project on Hackaday:

Best regards,
Oleksii

1 Like

Can recommend it! Using it for a while, with esp32, and integrated it to HA. Mostly stable (esp32 sometimes needs a few minutes without power after some weeks, but you can see when it drops to 0 cpm).
But you can find a software based solution on this topic: Radiation detector platform - #17 by htotoo

2 Likes

Perhaps this will be interesting in this thread. We have recently developed a separate configuration for the Geiger counter module GGreg20_V3 for ESP32 under ESPHome for Home Assistant. This configuration takes into account additional settings on the pulse processing port.

As you know, starting from version 2023.12.0, ESPHome has new requirements for Pin Reuse Validation of configuration files. These changes have also covered our GitHub repositories. We have already made the necessary changes to the examples for ESP8266, ESP32, Raspberry Pico W for ESPHome firmware. More details are available here: https://iot-devices.com.ua/en/about-changes-in-esphome-configuration-validation-pin-reuse-validation-en/