Any stable way to control Tuya devices?

So, next question… where’s a good guide for that?!

(the other devices I have are Smart Plug,TAOCOCO WiFi Plug Smart Socket,Smart Plugs Compatible with Alexa,Smart Home Timer Plug Work with Echo Google Home,Smart Home with Remote Control,No hub(1 Pack,White) : Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools) which I can’t establish whether they have esp or not (and therefore might need to try and experiment with Tuya-convert anyway

the most complete database for esp based devices I know is templates.blakadder.com. You might want to seek your devices there (they also have a non-compatible category) but with the term " TAOCOCO" they don’t have any results (but might be just one of the many white label names for one and the same product).

But by the looks of the amazon reviews it’s also from 2020… good chances that a esp works inside :ok_hand:

When it works it normally works great - but be ready for some experimenting :wink:

1 Like

Yeah - experiment number 1 will be getting Ubuntu set up on a flash drive (since I don’t have a machine running it stock…)

Flashing with serial is easy.
You have five pins.
gnd
tx
rx
GPIO 0 (can be labled IO0 on boards)

Connect 3.3 v and GND to the 3.3 v and GND on the serial adapter.
Connect TX to RX, and RX to TX (receive needs to talk to transmit).
Lastly hold GPIO 0 on GND while you plug in the serial adapter in the computer.
That is pretty much it. Now you can just flash a ESP yaml to it.

It’s not the same device but the same principle applies, and I find this a good video explaining how to connect and do all stuff on a device that is not “meant” to be flashed.
I couldn’t find a good related video just now.

Just open it if possible.

1 Like

Why do you need that? Not for flashing (?)

Seems TuyaConvert is linux only apparently

Oh… Right… I forgot, it was that long.
In that case, just open the darn thing. I promise you it will be faster and less painful.

Ha. I’m looking at the Taococo one and haven’t the foggiest how to get into it without damage tho
Maxcio looks easier

Either way - I am definitely going to give the above a go!

My guess is that the front is squeezed on and it has been heated up to “melt” it together.
As long as you can glue it back together then all means is allowed to remove tuya firmware.

1 Like

Well I got the Maxcio free… the other one is going to take a bit of delicate work i think…

1 Like

Free already (your own *ware on it) or only open yet? :stuck_out_tongue:

Do you call a serial adapter your own? If so you are almost there indeed :wink:

The bad thing if the plugs are not designed to be opened they really can break and you might/probably not be able to get them back together in good/solid manner. So might be worth to give tuya convert a try (if you have time :stuck_out_tongue: ) before prying it open in a destructive way :hammer:

Free as in I opened it up :wink:
I do not currently own a usb to TTL adaptor…

1 Like

Something that needs to change! A very good investment starting already at $£1 (or even less) :money_with_wings:

For sure. Tho… right now I’m not seeing the right pins on the board… might be missing something tho

Can you take a picture of the green board, just to make sure the pins are accessible.

Do you have a soldering iron?
That could be needed for some devices to be flashed.

Looks like in a older revision the green board hosted a esp module on the back:

(Maxcio W-UK007S Power Monitoring Smart Plug notes | Noodles’ Emptiness)

Really? I’m a flash-a-holic (with iron) but never use that for flashing. Some times a helping hand (or two) comes in handy. Most of the time I just use male dupont wires and hold them on the right pads and try to keep them in place for the 20 seconds while flashing - that’s it.

Oh… that board looked blue before.
I meant the board that is facing us in the picture.
That is where the ESP is.
Both sides if you can

Indeed - I posted a picture of a older revision…

I meant the board that is facing us in the picture.

The old revsion had a esp module packed on the back of the green board…

Sometimes the connections does not even have holes, they might just be flush solder points, and sometimes you need to hold them on the actual ESP, and in those cases I usually put a little tin on the male headers and solder them on the boards.
It just takes a few seconds.

We need better pictures if possible.