Anyone did a ibeacon (or similar installation)

Sorry, not really. I dont use ibeacons myself.

the problems with mqtt looks like a starting point though, but other than that I can’t help you.

presence20560: CONNECTED TO MQTT
presence20560: Visit http://0.0.0.0:5555 on your browser to see the web interface
presence20560: EOF
presence20560: panic: the Client has not yet connected to the Server

Sorry, the presence server doesn’t really have great error messages and handling yet. The “panic: the Client has not yet connected to the Server” suggests that the MQTT server you’re trying to connect isn’t running so it can’t connect.

Did you install the “mosquitto” MQTT broker on your machine?

1 Like

Yes, I had the embedded (Hass 43.2) then changed to mosquitto as per hassbian installation

Oher programs connect well to mosquitto

ok, what port is mosquitto running on? 1883? do you have any username or password set for it? Can you try to subscribe to something on it using “mosquitto_sub” or some other MQTT client?

What does your /etc/systemd/system/presence.service file contain?

If you used these scripts: https://github.com/home-assistant/hassbian-scripts/ to install Mosquitto, then at the end it would have prompted you for a username and password for authentication. Correct?

If so, you need to modify your /etc/systemd/system/presence.service file to include the MQTT broker username and password so the Presence server can connect. To do that, take a look at this sample config:
https://www.happybubbles.tech/files/presence.service_with_authentication.txt

and just edit it to add your broker’s username and password.

Then run sudo systemctl daemon-reload and sudo service presence restart hopefully then it will connect and work.

Thank you claudio for making me aware of this issue. I think I’ll take some time soon to write another tutorial for Hassbian like I did for the RPi3 on Raspbian.

I hope this helps!

Il had mosquitto, I changed to embedded, and back to mosquitto.

Now I’m on a business trip, back home in 2 days

that was it

how do you check which mac address have the NUT?

you do hcitool lescan and after a while it will appear. You will recognize the mac address because its contains “nut”, i.e. nut2’s name is “nut2” :slight_smile:

1 Like

its not appearing. It is appearting in the NUT app though … ???

which are the first 6 letters of yours?

Finding the MAC addresses on any of these devices has been the challenge.
If anyone has other devices and we can share the leading portion of the MAC that would be useful

I have several Tiles they start with either
D7:18:BF
or F1:D5:61

I found it
c33b12

The way to do it is to UNPAIR (NOT to uninstall the app) it from the APP (its called DELETE the device); after that I did a

sudo hcitool lescan 

and was found

Try unpairing it from the phone. I read somewhere that the Mi Band is not broadcasting when it’s paired to the phone, this is probably the case for the nut as well. I never had it paired to a phone.

Hi for me microwave power :yum:
So thanks to presence app for happybubbles i checked the one which disconnect in microwave and added its name like c67e33a2

I track also my miband3 paired with my phone so no problem for that.

I just want to thank everyone in this thread, it helped me greatly when it came to configuring my @happybubbles receiver. I have been testing the HappyBubbles for roughly 1 month now and it is working really well. I’d say it’s a country mile better at presence detection than Locative or Owntacks which I had poor results from on multiple Android handsets

Currently I only have a single receiver and this is due to high import tax to the UK however there is a definite plan to get more very soon. I just wanted to share the iBeacons I have been using, as you can source them cheaply from China and they work very well. These iBeacons are fully programmable in hexadecimal and they also have a configuration App on the Google Play Store. I used this guide to name the iBeacon and setup custom UUIDs which makes finding the iBeacons easy peasy :slight_smile:

According to the documentation if you increase the polling time up to 20 seconds between pings it increases the battery life exponentially, the documentation says up to 19 years of battery life. Obviously this is taken with a pinch of salt due to the nature of the the hardware, the battery will probably degrade well before that time period, but I thought it was worth a mention.

How much time passes from recognition in a new room?

Tricky to say as I mentioned I only have a single HappyBubbles receiver due to import tax.

I have placed the HappyBubbles receiver about 1 meter inside of of the front door in the hall way and I have the iBeacon on my car keys. The iBeacon is picked up by the HappyBubbles before I have walked from my car to my front door which is roughly 4 meters, so we’re probably talking less than 10 seconds.

You can also change the gain and the poling times on these iBeacons, so you may be able to refine room to room detection quickly. Once I get some more HappyBubbles I’ll report back, although my budget isnt going to stretch this month for the purchase.

Thank you very much for the wonderful feedback, noodlemctwoodle. I’m really glad to hear you’re finding the product useful. Hopefully multiple detectors will work just as well for you.

Thanks for the link those iBeacons too. I notice they have a button, I’d like to look into ways of incorporating those buttons into the Happy Bubbles system if I can. So on top of presence detection, you could add additional actions if you push the button. If that’s something people are interested in do let me know and it’ll encourage me to spend more time on such a feature.

I bought the NUT, there is a button tto, now not sure what to do with it, but would be nice to be able to use it