Anyone experience with connecting a Growatt solar-inverter?

Would you have any source material for the hardware part? How to build, etc.?

Details here:

And here:

Post #41 here:
https://community.home-assistant.io/t/esphome-modbus-growatt-shinewifi-s/369171/552

I used an ESP32 and connected GPIO16 an GPIO17 to the RS-485-ttl converter
ESP32 on Amazon:

And the RS-485-to-ttl (3.3v DC compatible)

1 Like

Woow it is just i’m searching my inverter is min-6000tl-xh, then every 2 sec you have real information in HA and so you can configure routines with the data gotten

Did you need a special connector to be able to connect to the RS485 pins 3 and 4 of the invertor?

The connector for that was included with my Growatt inverter (actually two of them)

So does anyone know if Home Assistant has changed something.

I used to have this sensor i made myself, it worked fine, but now it just says that it is not available.

sensor:
  - platform: template
    sensors:
      delta_t_solar_heating:
        friendly_name: Surplus solar
        unit_of_measurement: KW
        value_template: >-
          {{ ( states('sensor.oocmaXXXXX_all_pv_wattage') | float |
          round(1)) -  ( states('sensor.oocmaXXXXX_load_consumption') | float
          | round(1))}}

(I changed the oocma number, dont know if it is unique)

Both of the sensors are available, but my “surplus solar” sensor is suddenly not available anymore

Hello, I have a Growatt 3 phase invertor that works great with HA.
I have installed a Growatt 3 phase smart meter and while I’m adding the Growatt integration in HA seems that the meter is detected (two devices are visible in the list). For it all the values are 0. Is this a known issue? I’m using the HA 2022.12.5

Thanks!

The invertor is adding the proper values:

Hi @alexdordea
Welcome to the party!

Can you do me a favour and send me a screen-grab from the Growatt Website when you’re logged in?

I need to see what ‘device type’ your system is registered as, I need to see this:

Assuming there are multiple items in the device type dropdown I need to know what they all are.

It’s highly likely that we just don’t yet have support for one of the items on the list. I have a running forum topic over here: Growatt Integration - Prioritised List of Features for Implementation/Fixing which lists all of the open tickets and the priority order that I’m working on them in.
If you give me the info from above then I’ll tell you what ticket to keep an eye on.

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback!

The invertor is: MID 20KTL3-X1
The smart meter: EASTRON SDM630-Modbus V3

Please find the items in my drop down:

Thanks!

Ahh yes, we don’t yet have support for the MAX/MID type it’s the next thing on my list, I suggest following this ticket here: Growatt server integration partially working · Issue #51660 · home-assistant/core · GitHub

But my issue is related? I mean this is the invertor and the values for the invertor works fine. The issue is with the smart meter.

After adding Growatt in my HA I do have two devices detected:

For Growatt meter I don’t have any value populated:

For the invertor everything works fine:

Already subscribed to the notifications, thank you :slight_smile:

Yes, it’s 100% the same issue, I remember investigating it the first time it happened. The reason it returns zeros for all the values is because the integration incorrectly things it’s a different type of system and then returns all the wrong value for which it doesn’t get any updates.

1 Like

Cool, thank you for your help! I’ll check the thread with the updates :slight_smile:

No problem, I can’t promise it’ll get resolved this side of Christmas, I’ve got a lot of commitments etc over the festive period. But keep an eye on this post: Growatt Integration - Prioritised List of Features for Implementation/Fixing as I updated it as/when I’m working on things, so you’ll know when I’m picking the work up again.

1 Like

Thank you! Let me know if you need credentials from my install to help with the dev/testing :slight_smile:

Hello fellow growatters,
I know this integration occasionally has issues as growatt servers go offline every now and then.
This time my integration is broken for over weeks and a half now, with no data whatsoever.

I am able to log into both from web browser
https://server.growatt.com/
https://server-api.growatt.com/

My homeassistant instance
Home Assistant 2022.12.8
Supervisor 2022.12.1
Operating System 9.4

ERROR LOG

Logger: homeassistant.components.sensor
Source: components/growatt_server/sensor.py:43
Integration: Sensor (documentation, issues)
First occurred: 10:52:33 AM (1 occurrences)
Last logged: 10:52:33 AM

Error while setting up growatt_server platform for sensor
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/helpers/entity_platform.py", line 281, in _async_setup_platform
    await asyncio.shield(task)
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/growatt_server/sensor.py", line 91, in async_setup_entry
    devices, plant_id = await hass.async_add_executor_job(get_device_list, api, config)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.10/concurrent/futures/thread.py", line 58, in run
    result = self.fn(*self.args, **self.kwargs)
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/growatt_server/sensor.py", line 43, in get_device_list
    login_response = api.login(config[CONF_USERNAME], config[CONF_PASSWORD])
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.10/site-packages/growattServer/__init__.py", line 132, in login
    data = json.loads(response.content.decode('utf-8'))['back']
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.10/json/__init__.py", line 346, in loads
    return _default_decoder.decode(s)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.10/json/decoder.py", line 337, in decode
    obj, end = self.raw_decode(s, idx=_w(s, 0).end())
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.10/json/decoder.py", line 355, in raw_decode
    raise JSONDecodeError("Expecting value", s, err.value) from None
json.decoder.JSONDecodeError: Expecting value: line 1 column 1 (char 0)

I have tried deleting it, but when I try to add integration at the screen where I have to enter credentials it just says ‘Error’ …yes the username and password are correct, I even created a separate user/pass for integration, still no joy.

Any pointers on what is wrong specifically with my setup/.

Hi, there’s currently an issue with the integration, you can find the updates here: Error while setting up growatt_server platform for sensor · Issue #84600 · home-assistant/core · GitHub

I had the same problem, so my Xmas project has been to build a Raspberry Pi Zero W based interface between my SPH3000 and Home Assistant using MQTT and a cheap RS485 serial to USB dongle from Amazon.

I now have this code in testing and am enjoying 60 second updates flawlessly from my PV and battery.

My project doesn’t interfere with the Growatt WiFi dongle, and can be adapted to other inverters that use Modbus RTU (definitely other Growatts).

I’ll publish the code when I’ve written a readme doc if anyone’s interested.

David

3 Likes

looking forward to this alternate solution