Anyone experience with connecting a Growatt solar-inverter?

I do not have that field available. These are the only items I can select from under the Energy configuration:

All my Growatt related entities are enabled.

Have you got 2 inverters? **BU and **CG?

I’ve just tried to look through the integration code. It has different entities for different types of Growatt inverter / battery systems. Explains why I dont have the same as you.

If I had to guess, I’d choose:
“Lifetime Storage production” for the discharge
“Lifetime storaged charged” for the charging - @muppet3000 is there a typo here (storaged)?

The reasons for suggesting these are because of the api_key values which appear similar. If it doesnt work, please let me know so I can edit the post.

Yes, they have been setup in master/slave configuration for a total of 10kW output.

All the fields that I use seems to fine, but HA does not calculate my home power use correctly.

This is for last week. These is just no way that I have charged 121.9kWh from the solar, but only used 61.4kWh at home. You can see that the direct use from solar is not shown. This is what is missing.

Thanks for the help.

No worries.

Are you able to compare values against the Growatt server? and figure out what it should be?

I wonder if you’ve used a “production” value (meaning batteries + solar) for either the solar or battery config? Also note: I’ve found the grid import values inaccurate on the Growatt server side, so I dont trust it.

I will see if I can calculate the correct values from the available data.

Anybody else experiencing problems with the HA just stops reading the Growatt data from the server? Reloading the integration seems to resolve the problem, but after a few minutes it stop reading the data again.

Haven’t experienced that myself, sorry. It looks like it updates every 15 minutes.

Another little helper for you (recognising that our systems differ)…

Creating a panel like this might help to find the values you’re looking for. I’ve edited the image to remove my IDs.
I use the lifetime values I use in the energy area are underlined in green. These totals are proportionally larger than the daily ones. The daily values mostly line up, but the import ones are really off, so I use an external system to get these. Your setup might be better than mine. I think the Home consumption value is calculated.

Hope you manage to get your values worked out.

Hi

I tried inputting the suggested sensors into the solar panel part and this is what i get out

1.6 at the top, is “Total daily production” (Yes i know, its abysmal, but this is what i get in winter sadly :slight_smile: )

Left is grid, and the 0 is offcourse what i have sold, and the 11.5 is what i have bought (13,6 minus 1,6 minus 0,5)

And at the bottom it shows that i have charged 0 kwh to the battery, and discharged 0,5 for some reason.

So it seems that the numbers are fairly reasonable, it’s just the labels that are (atleast for me) a bit confusing.

Does this look about right ? (Apart from the very small production volume on 20 pcs 350wh solar panels, that is allright, when i am in northern europe, where the sun sits very low and december 21, is the shortest daylight of the year…Least produced in a day was 0,1 Kwh :slight_smile: ).

Looks reasonable to me!

It would be worth cross checking your import values on a smart meter if you have one. And maybe in the Shine app, if you have that too. Otherwise looks good to me.

You’ve had more solar than the UK today :slight_smile:

I have the Shine app, right now it says imported from grid 12,9Kwh while the figure on the HA energy says 14,5 right now, but i dont know if this might because the HA does not update the numbers as often, i do know that the wife is running the oven and stove right now, and Shine app says that we are drawing 2,93Kwh right now.

The Solar setup came with a “smart meter” i think this is the one that actually reports the in and out figures.

This device is set in series with the power cables that run to the normal smart meter that the electric company installed, to know my consumption.

It is called eastron SDM630-Modbus V3 and on the display right now it says 0016 (probably the 1.6Kwh produced) and 02,52 which is probably the instant draw right now.

Do we know if growatt has any provisions for telling it to not use the battery ?

I know this gets a bit nerdy…Imagine at a given day i produce 10 Kwh and i use 20 Kwh

Well the price for a Kwh is not always the same.

As it is now, as soon as i make any power, it will use that to minimize what i buy.

But the most expensive prices of the day right now is at 5-7 PM because this is when everyone runs their stoves, ovens and so on.

So why use the power i generate at 10 AM, and pay, lets say X amount of money for, when i could save it until 5-7PM where the price is (X*1,5)

Would offcourse require that it knew when the price was high and low, but atleast the electric company i buy and sell electricity to and from, have a chart for the prices next day, the day in advance so i know at 9 PM, when the prices will be highest and lowest so if this got integrated into HA and HA could control if we charge the battery or we discharge the battery, this would be ideal, price wise.

1 Like

For future reference, this is the sensors i have chosen, according to HA

Do we know how often HA updates the figures, it has not changed in the last 15 minutes atleast… ?

It seems that i might also have this problem, mine has read 14.5 Kwh for atleast 30 minutes now and it has not updated even though the shine app figures has… It has updated atleast once after i put the sensors in, because just when i started the number was lower, but now it seems to not update.

Maybe it stops when accessing the Shine app ?

There is a similar tariff in the UK called “Octopus Agile” and I believe there have been integrations / ways of dealing with those types of tariff. I dont know if there’s an integration for your supplier, but have a read here – Octopus Energy Agile Tariff - Third party integrations - Home Assistant Community (home-assistant.io)

As for your Growatt system using the grid or batteries at certain times of the day. I dont believe the HA integration currently has this level of control. I’d like it to so we can prevent an EV from draining your house batteries when it’s on charge. It would probably need a big disclaimer along with it too!! :slight_smile: I’ve seen a glimmer of hope on this front, but nothing is published.

do you have an entity called “last_data_update”? it might show how often the data updates?

Well there are actually someone that has succeded in putting the prices into HA, we use something called NordPool, but they are manually adding stuff, editing files and so on, and i have to say that i am nowhere near that level of tech-fu so i am not able to implement it like they do. Also i think they mainly use it for pulling the data and showing it in HA, not for actual integration with anything.

I do know that HA integration is not at that level but i wonder if there are even functions in the Growatt system to be able to send a command “Solar power only to charge battery bank until it is full, and the house uses only power from grid, as it is cheap”

or

“right now we need to use battery power, because the price from the grid is high”

If the inverter does not support this level of external control, it will not be possible to do any IFTTT stuff on it, even if we have the sensors for electricity price and so on.

I agree with the Car charging off of the battery. Would be nice to be able to tell the car charger that it can only charge with as much Kwh that is surplus from the panels, that would otherwise be sold.

In my country i have to pay an average of 6 times what i get for a kwh.

So basically i have to sell 6 kwh to the grid, to afford to buy 1 kwh. This is because approx 5/6 of the price of a Kwh is actually taxes (A little less, because the operator needs a difference in the raw buy and sell price, to be able to make money).

I do have a sensor like this

OOCMA40002 Last Data Update

But it seems the value is always “In one hour”

So maybe what is really means is that it will only update once per hour ?

Please share your Energy configuration so that I can compare. Thank you.

Look above, i have posted a picture with what sensors i use for each point needed.

Post is about 6-7 posts above this one

Sorry, that is basically what mine looks like, but my home power consumption does not take the direct solar power use into consideration.

I dont know if implementation is different, but basically i dont actually use any of my solar power, per say.

Mine is set up, so that the power meter measures how much power i draw on each of the 3 phases, and then it relays this information to the Growatt inverter, and it will then send back the same amount of power, but only on one phase.

So basically i do not per say, use any solar power directly. I also do not have anything connected to the EPS connector.

I have a Growatt MOD 7000TL3-X inverter with ShineRFStick-X and a 3-phase Growatt Smart Meter (actually Eastron SDM630-MODBUS V3). The meter is connected to the Growatt Raillog.
ShineRFStick-X and Growatt Raillog send data to Growatt ShineLanBox which is connected to the local network and the Internet.

Everything connected as in the attached photo.

Is it possible to observe solar energy production, import from the grid and export to the grid with such devices?

Tried with core integration but only inverter data is displayed.
Everything is visible in the ShinePhone app.