Anyone experience with connecting a Growatt solar-inverter?

Whatever solution or workaround you use will be dependent on the Growatt Servers. They’re the single point of failure in this chain unfortunately.

As far as I understand this script it simulates the Growatt server for your inverter so the traffic does not leave your network. You configure your WifI to reach the server running the script i.s.o. the Growatt server so this gives you more control. I will do some testing later this week. Overriding (DNSmasq) the DNS name to the local server makes it easy to switch between both solutions.

I see, that’s really interesting. So it would probably stop the mobile phone app from working, but would allow for a more localised option.
You could do some clever networking probably to forward on the data to growatt as well I suppose. It’s really good to know about in case Growatt ever went bust or something like that.
I don’t have any spare time to play with it at the minute but it sounds like a really interesting project with a lot of scope!

1 Like

Also look at this:

Version 2.7.* has a standalone server without need for the official growatt servers as I understand

@osos Thank you this indeed already offers forwarding the data to the Growatt servers. Personally I would not need that if HA is always getting it but others might prefer to still use the ShinePhone app.

Thank you once again @muppet3000 for fixing this, once again!
I am anxiously awaiting the update. Also running on HASSIO, and not on docker, so the manual fix is out of my reach. But I am patient.

Hi. Is there any eta on a fix?

Hi

This sounds fantastic.

Would this also allow for more frequent updates ?

Right now the app and the integration only updates every 5 minutes, i would love for it to be every 15 seconds instead.

Is this possible with this stuff, pulling from the dongle directly ?

Would actually be possible to have both?
Local Server for HA and Growatt data for the app (some of my users, cough cough, family, do not appreciate HA vs. the App)?

Just a question, not a feature request :wink:

Would be amazing if it would be possible to have our own “server” do queries to the inverter, with an interval of our choosing.

But i fear that this is probably more of a “push” than a “pull system” (The dongle pushes an update every 5 minutes to the server)

If this is the case, we can “spoof” the server, but we can not get it to deliver data, more frequently, than 5 minutes.

If this is the case, the easiest way of getting the data, both to our own “server” and the growatt one, would be for the system to be set up, so that the dongle traffic is redirected to our local “server” and the server then pretends that it is the actual dongle and relays it on, to the real Growatt server.

Sort of a “man in the middle attack”

We use the HA integration heavily, just our luck that when something actually breaks they take forever to release an official update.

They did an update 2 ,4 ,6, 7 ,10, 14 of June (2, 2, 1, 3, 4 days apart) but now there has not been an update for a whole week.

Grrrrr. :slight_smile:

You’re correct, it is more of a “push” than a pull operation, that said, it is possible to get the shinelan box (and probably the wifi dongle too) to push every 1 minute (the server seems to only display in 5 minute intervals, but it definitely pushes the data more regularly as HA shows the changes)

All you need to do is go to the ip address of your shinelan box in a browser, login (admin/admin is the default), go to “Network Setting” on the side and then set the “Data Transfer Interval” and click save (before you try 0.5 minutes - it doesn’t work).

Screengrab below:

Hope that helps (also it looks like you can change the name it tries to upload to so you may be able to run an internal copy without having to spoof a hostname).

Hey everyone. So following this frustrating period of downtime, I looked into alternative solutions. I stumbled upon a software package called Solar Assistant (https://solar-assistant.io/).

I am so impressed with the overall system!

After buying the software (relatively cheap) and installing it on a pi zero 2 w, I plugged in the usb cable to my Growatt 5000ES inverter. It now pulls data at 1s intervals and is local. What’s more, Solar Assistant allows for the data to be pushed to HA via MQTT. The process was pretty straight forward and I am not looking back. This is a major upgrade IMO.

@muppet3000 thank you for all your efforts on the Growatt integration, I was very grateful for it.

1 Like

This looks amazing, even I want to have a look at it now!!!

I’m trying to carve out some time over winter (I have lots of outdoors projects planned for over the summer) so that I can improve my overall data gathering and projection logic for the house, so this looks fantastic!

1 Like

Nice find!

Do you know if it’s compatible to run at the same time as the USB dongle? So the traditional shine app still works.

(not sure how many USB plugs there are on the inverter).

Hi. You won’t be able to run the shine app as the wifi logger obstructs the USB type B port that you need to connect to.

Looking at the data I am getting from the SolarAssistant and the frequency, I don’t see any need to use the Growatt Server :smiley:

Ahhh, that’s a pity, thanks anyway!
The Growatt guys told my father (owner of the whole setup) that we can’t touch anything or disconnect, else the warranty becomes void… and since we already had to use warranty twice I’m reluctant to test them.

I’m still thinking that a MITM could work, if anyone has the patience to try.

P.S.: they allegedly use the remote access for maintenance, but I have my doubts.

Looks quite interesting, only downside is that on top of that price, compared to now, i would have to pay the…in my view, relatively high price for the nabu casa to be able to get access to HA when i am not at home.

My dongle is RS-232 as far as i remember.

If the USB is hidden behind the RS-232 dongle would it not be possible to just make an extension lead for that one, that has a smaller connector footprint.

Yes 2022.6.7 is available and indeed fixes the issue :smiley: :facepunch: :clap:

1 Like

Hi. you don’t need nabu casa. I use DuckDNS. Here’s a video on how to do it: Home Assistant Remote Access for FREE - DuckDNS + LetsEncrypt + Single URL - YouTube