Anyone have Master-Slave HomeAssistant installs?

Is anyone successfully using multiple instance of HomeAssistant on the same LAN?

My use case:
HomeAssistant Core on an Unraid machine (Docker). This is my current machine and would be Master.

Would like to set up a RaspPi with Hass Supervised to handle Zwave duties with an Aeotech Gen5 Z-Stick. (That would be the slave).

What’s the easiest way to get them to talk to each other? Has anyone done this?

Have a look here: GitHub - custom-components/remote_homeassistant: Links multiple home-assistant instances together

3 Likes

I did for long while

Slave was connected using api to individual entities or sensors. I wasn’t fan of Matt since it added too much

Z-wave is handled via mqtt these days, so you don’t need the added complication of two HA instances. Just set up zwavejs2mqtt on the pi, and use the mqtt broker on your ha instance.

1 Like

FWIW, I have a master-slave setup via MQTT.
The point is to put radio related stuff (zigbee-ZHA, BT) as far as possible of interference sources (mainly the USB3/SSD ones generated by my main HA setup on RPi4)

On the slave, I use MQTT StateStream: MQTT Statestream - Home Assistant
On the master, plain MQTT discovery: MQTT Discovery - Home Assistant

As those two are basically incompatible (go figure), I created a blueprint that publishes discovery-compatible topics based upon the statestream one: MQTT State Stream to MQTT Discovery

Or, I believe you could use it with the preferred websocket integration. zwavejs2mqtt also supports that and it is the much cleaner 2 way communication channel used by the HaOS addon.

or, alternative without Mqtt (using 2 instances spreading some downtime risk):

HA instance 1: install core add-on Z-waveJS
HA instance 2: install core integration Z-WaveJS, and connect to instance 1 Add-on…

doesn’t get any simpler and safer than that. All core.

1 Like

I use this with 7 HA instances. (it got a bit out of hand perhaps…)

1 Like

You mean the core integration or something else? I thought only Supervised had official Add-ons.

something else… simply what I wrote, the core Z-WaveJS add-on: addons/zwave_js at master · home-assistant/addons · GitHub

add-on == server
integration == client

using HA OS here

HA OS is not core. It is supervised.+ OS

HA Core install uses a python venv on your host OS.

• Home Assistant Core: Manual installation using Python virtual environment.

from Installation - Home Assistant

With core I didn’t reference the install method, but the integration / Add-on being maintained by the core team, opposed to custom or community add-ons

OP asked for users to share their experience on easiest ways to get them to talk together. So I did share mine

1 Like

OK I missed that, for some reason they wanted to install supervised on the remote Z-Wave system.

Hey all… quick question on Remote Home Assistant… my use case is to have a second RPi running all of my cameras, and have the master running all of the devices and automations… the reason is to reduce the CPU burden on the main RPi by managing all of the camera feeds… so if I run a multiple instance like suggested above using Remote Home Assistant, with cameras on the slave and everything else on the master… will the slave essentially still burden the master with all of the camera feeds, or will the slave maintain the burden and yet allow the master to access the entities of the camera triggers ?

thanks

In that case I would run frigate on the second pi, and ha on the other one. No need for two ha installs.

1 Like