Anyone integrated HA with Aquarium Lighting

I need to get some new lights for my Aquarium and it seems like a missed opportunity to not try and integrate things into HA (turn off at a certain time, turn on at sunrise etc)

Has anyone done this? I don’t really want to create my own LED matrix - would prefer to use a standard, out of the box one. From all my googling, I fear this just isn’t going to be possible right now. If it was a simple, turn on and off I could do that with a power socket switch but I’m looking for more control than that (LED brightness, color maybe)

I’ve seen posts on this in Reddit when I was researching a chemical sensor for my hot tub. They are out there, but they are really expensive.

Thanks @rpitera - yeah I’m going to be looking at the sensors for PH etc (not cheap) but if it can automate things for me then its worth it :slight_smile: I’ve been looking into Open Aquarium and having that send the data over MQTT to HA - but their LED arrays don’t really fill me with confidence in terms of lumens and the types of light an aquarium needs - maybe I should go ask more over at Open Aquarium

They would probably have the best info from a hobbyist perspective, which is important to know. I have a friend with a huge saltwater tank and I know how hard it is to get lighting cycles correct.

If you do get the chance, it would be great if you could share what you found here; I can’t imagine you’re the first or last enthusiast in the HA community.

Hello I am very new to home automation but not aquarium automation. If you can do it threw MQTT to HA then Look for Ferduino controller http://www.ferduino.com/forum/portal.php after reading about it you might not need HA to control the tank. It is a total DIY you have to build very thing from ground up
or there is another good controller I use called Robo Tank Controller https://www.robo-tank.ca/index.php this one you just buy the pre made boards and your ready to go.

and it has a web page interface made for fresh and heavy reef components will do 16 channels of LED lights and 2 temp pwm cooling fans. Bunch of tamp probes + humidity for the room and dosing pumps + auto feeders and 16 controlled plugins for power.

I was looking at doing something like this but for hydroponics recently - it’s not an aquarium but very similar in terms of what you want to do and monitor. I found a few different open source projects in my searches so it might be worth adding hydroponic automation to your searches.

thanks @Dale and @BarryHampants ! Very useful - I’ll take a look!

Saw this today and remembered your post.

Reddit thread
and discussion.

Imgur Album and descriptions.

Just saw your post… @danjenkins. Funny enough, I’m busy this very moment with my own raspberry pi based solution for some of this, including water level, Temp and soon, PH probes - for a 2000 litre multi-tank marine aquarium setup.

I’ve got an Aqua Illumination Hydra 26HD over my Anemone tank and have shot emails off to AI asking for an API for Home Automation control, but got radio silence. Everything else has T-5’s which I’m also - like you - looking for LED alternatives that give me some sort of API control for HA integration.

Any lucky in your quest?

hey @cowboy unfortunately not - on a long list fo things I want to do :smiley:

How did it go on yours?

Hi @danjenkins,

Did you ever find that time you were looking for?

I just (hopefully) found mine and am back at my workbench for the first time in months. So much cleaning of my workbench today that must occur first, I thought to procrastinate just a few more minutes to look around on the HA forum & see how much catching up I have to do now.

So far my implementation has worked splendidly well and literally has ‘saved my donkey’ 3-4 times now - ranging from heater failures to approaching overflow conditions and a general circuit breaker failure on the fish circuit while we were upstairs in bed and none-the-wiser @11pm. Complete water change process is automated to the point that I only measure 5 liters of dry Instant Ocean salt into 180 mixing barrel, close the lid, and hit “Go” and the filling of the vat, mixing & water change is completely automated.

Next to add on the feature list is:
1.) Ph monitoring / control
2.) Variable DC speed control for Tunze stream pumps
3.) integration with my AI HydraHD Lights over HTTP
4.) integration with an auto-doser? building an LED controllable by HA for some of my “working grow-out tanks”? Not sure yet.

Cool thing is - I’ve had two aquarium shops over to buy corals and fish from me now, and they’ve seen it and told me they’ve never seen anything like my controller before, and seemed interested in it for themselves. I’m talking to one of the owners of one of those shops about building him such a system for his shop.

You can follow along here if you haven’t already seen it already.

hi i am also looking to integrate ph and ec probes to my Hydroponic system i am not such big coder i work well with HASS following guides and things were you able to do this PH automation and tDS integration . ?

can you share ?

TIA