Anyone know what's up with Aeotec? MIA?

Nope

I have no idea about that. Chances of you ever using it is close to zero though, you’ll use your ZWave host for HA to add yoir devices…

When using HA to add devices, do I still need to go around to each device to activate some kind of pairing mode, or is that handled more directly by HA or the Z-stick now days?

The Zwave spec requires interaction at the device. It may be a qr code but usually its a specific button press. (You don’t want a bad actor to be able to wash through your house taking over your devices without interaction?)

Okay. I was just hoping I didn’t have to go around from device to device.

I was just looking up QR code info. I’m betting all of my devices (2017 for house devices, 2019 for barn devices) are from before the QR code era. I’m glad I have all the instructions.

For my nano dimmers, I bet that means opening up the wall boxes to get to the device. Oh, joy!

Well, since you’ve found no reason to need the Aeotec when you have the Zooz, I’ll probably get the Zooz. The Aeotec ones are supposedly due Thursday and haven’t been shipped yet - nothing’s been going on there, no sign of any action on it. I’ll give them until Thursday and, if they don’t arrive or I get one of Amazon’s notices that they’re delayed, I’ll cancel the order and get Zooz, since there seem to be plenty of them in stock in different places.

I am not sure whether it is a temporary issue or the new norm but it also seems that Aeotec has increased the price of all the hardware they took over. Time to look for better alternatives.

1 Like

I have had good luck & support from Zooz and their online store for US Z-Wave products.

In fact their stick is slightly discounted right now.

2 Likes

I’ve just placed an order for 2 Zooz ZST10 700s from The Smartest House. I notice, though, that when I went to the Zooz website, they had the ZST10 listed under their products and not the ZST10 700. There are none of the 700s on Amazon. I figured it was worth the risk to go on and order from Smartest Store. What did concern me was no indication of how many in stock and, after ordering, no indication of shipping date. (Shipping is 2nd day USPS - least expensive they had and 2-3 days is not an unreasonable wait.) I’ll feel a lot better when I see they’ve shipped. I still don’t expect the Aeotec ones from Amazon to ship and be here before the23rd (in 2 days) like they say, but the one that I know ships the soonest gets it. The other one gets cancelled. (Or maybe I’ll wait and see if one ships and that it’s not the 700 model and I can send it back as the wrong product.)

I’m wondering if the issue, right now, is chips for the 700 series Z-Wave, since the shortages are on the 700 series products but it seems the earlier ones are still available. I considered getting an earlier model stick, but I’d rather have the most advanced so it’s likely a lot longer delay until I end up having to upgrade it.

I’ve ordered a ton of stuff from them over the years they’ll be fine. Zooz is their house brand and I’m finding I like it more and more.

1 Like

Their support is top notch in my opinion. When I was over at openHAB they even sent sample units to get the products into the database for support. I think they are doing something similar with zwavejs.

They just added the 700 to denote this is a Z-Wave Plus v2 (700 series chipset) stick

I was told by thesmartesthouse support that they aim to sell on Amazon at a price slightly higher than their own store. After I told them I bought from Amazon they realized they had posted a lower price there.

When it rains, it pours!

It looked like, for sure, the Amazon order of two Aeotec Z-Stick 7s was not going to even ship, so I ordered a pair of Zooz Z-Sticks. A few hours later, before I had time to cancel the order, I got notice it had shipped. I have the 2 Z-Sticks from Aeotec and the ones from Zooz are on the way. So maybe I’ll sell one pair - or maybe keep them around on standby.

I got an answer from Popp and they said that Aeotec is out of this model and, due to the chip shortage, won’t have them in until January.

1 Like

Perhaps you can exchange the Zooz stuff for something else. Support at thesmartesthouse is usually very helpful & flexible.

Sometimes I get so tightly focused on my goals I don’t see what’s right in front of my face! Thanks! Yes, that’s a good point and I’ll look the site over and see if I can do an exchange.

Email support.

One Christmas I had an unexpected issue with a smart plug. They suspected it was a design issue and exchanged it for a better, more expensive model. They are one of the very few support groups I would rate as top notch.

1 Like

I know with Aeotec, you email them and they seem to have only one email. They do try to get in contact fairly quickly and are helpful, but it can still be frustrating waiting for the delay.

When my 2 Zooz sticks got here, I opened the package and several papers and fliers were in there, including, “Need help? Just Ask!” with their email and phone number.

I don’t hate Aeotec and back in 2017, when I was making a lot of my decisions, they were working very hard, with a good attitude about their products, and seemed like they were doing things nobody else was doing. But I remember back then, before any chip shortage, getting their products was not always straight forward.