Anyone who use ESPhome with an AC and the hand remote?

Ie, does it work to use the hand remote in conjunction with HA?

I know my remotes work, but it has been a long time ago since i used them…i don’t even think they have batteries anymore :thinking:

i’m using Midea branded AC’s with ESPhome (without cloud)

why?

MHI with esphome built in. Never use remotes but can.

When I use the handheld remote to control the fan speed, it shuts down the machine! The same happens with all other functions. However, if I turn it on using the remote and then continue with HA, everything works as usual.

I can certainly use HA for everything, but I find this behavior really strange.

Well it would be nice to tell which AC model is it ? How do you control it with ESPHome ? using the AC integration in IR ?

Sorry, forgot to add: Panasonic CS-HZ25TKE, ESPHome 2023.5.2.

I should also add that I got the same strange behavior back when I used the IR-integration (BroadLink) before I installed ESPhome.

it could be the IR is ‘out-of-sync’?

The IR is just a dumb thing, it doesn’t know the status of the AC, so if you you turn on the AC with the remote, it believes the AC is on, until you switch it of with the remote.

So when switches on by remote, switched off by HA, the next time you push the power on the remote will send the off command (and not on), as the last state send by the remote was ‘on’

PS, similar things happens when you use 2 remote’s :thinking:

1 Like

I see what you mean, and it sounds logical. But in this case, I’m not using the power button. Instead, it turns off when I try to change the fan speed, temperature, etc.

Mine does the same with the same use case/set-up.

It doesn’t bother me as I rarely use the remote and when I do it’s usually to turn it off;)

I suspect it relates to what @aceindy says. Some programmed response to “differences of opinions” designed to re-syncronise things. But guessing.

1 Like