AppDaemon Q&A

Has it been determined why the Appdaemon is not starting properly via init.d? I am also seeing this behavior when I tried using init.d. Runs properly if I start it manually.

Thanks a lot for the reply, I appreciate it.
As you suggested I will add a debug line to see if it is using all threads and new updates just gets queued up and not getting delivered. But in this case it should get delivered once thread(s) becomes available. I will try this and report back to share the results. As far as I know Push Bullet is very reliable and in case of any issue it throws error without locking the tread/app.
As ReneTode mentioned in his reply about multiple computers involvement, I will try to move AppDaemon to same computer to remove all other parameters which can potentially cause such/other issues.
Thanks one more time for your help and time and also for this wonderful app.

Hi Andrew, did you have a chance to look into the autostart issue of AppDaemon on the RPI AIO ?

Not yet sorry, have been traveling on business and am on vacation this week.

Hi

I can’t auto start AppDaemon.

Copied over the appdaemon.service file to etc/systemd/system and it still not starting.

Also modified the appdaemon.service file so it know where the appdaemon.cfg is.

#
# Sample unit file for systemd
#
# Edit top suit your environment, then copy to /etc/systemd/system
#
# run "systemd enable appdaemon" to make it start at boottime
#
[Unit]
Description=AppDaemon service for Home Assistant

[Service]
#ExecStart=/usr/local/bin/appdaemon
#
# If you are not using a default path for the config file use this:
#
ExecStart=/usr/local/bin/appdaemon -c /home/pi/appdaemon/conf/appdaemon.cfg
#
[Install]
WantedBy=multi-user.target

When i run-

pi@RPI3:~ $ cd appdaemon/conf
pi@RPI3:~/appdaemon/conf $ appdaemon -c appdaemon.cfg

It start fine. Any help please.

Did you enable the service?

$ systemd enable appdaemon

@mchrisb03 @Tyfoon

I took a look at the restart issue today and I figured out what was going on I think.

I am just about to push version 1.3.6 which should fix the issue - let me know!

Hi Andrew
Thanks for the help but i upgraded to version 1.3.6 and it WORKED.

I tried systemd enable appdaemon but it came back as Excess arguments.

root@RPI3:/etc/systemd/system# systemd enable appdaemon
Excess arguments.

Done a reboot and lots of errors in the appdaemon.log
appdaemon.yaml (28.9 KB)
Had to save as YAML ext to upload to this forum. Hope this helps.

Cameron

Sounds good. How do I update AppDaemon to the latest version? Did some searching but could not find it.

Not sure about the excess arguments as nothing has changed there - but the errors in the log are expected behavior. This is simply because AppDaemon is starting up more quickly than HA and con;t connect to it. Previously, this caused an error and AppDaemon stopped, which is why you never saw it load the programs etc. I could suppress those errors but they are useful for tracking down othewr issues for example if you had an invalid URL, or some other problem, I am trying to strike a balance between keeping the logs clean and giving enough info for debugging.

It’s in the README:

EDIT - I see they have a mistake - do the following:

Updating AppDaemon

To update AppDaemon after I have released new code, just run the following command to update your copy:

$ git pull origin

If you are using pip3 for the install do this:

$ sudo pip3 uninstall appdaemon
$ sudo pip3 install .

If you are using docker, rerun the steps to create a new docker image.

Ok thanks for your help i may need some more in the future.

1 Like

You must think I’m a complete fool but…

$ git pull origin indeed seems to update. But when I then run sudo pip3 uninstall appdaemon I get below (either from the appdaemon dir or one below)

Sudo pip3 Install gives a similar type of respnse

This is not anything to do with AppDaemon, it seems to be a version mismatch between the requests library and pip3. A quick Google found this thread that may help you to resolve the issue.

I’m not running anything else on my PI but an AIO installer of HASS (still on 28.2 but upgrade according to instructions here: https://home-assistant.io/getting-started/installation-raspberry-pi-all-in-one/ ).

Also never installed anything else but AppDaemon on top of this (this based on the instructions provided by your readme).

So I have no idea on why I now get this error. I also feel very uncomfortable in messing about with other components scared to break HASS

The good news is that if you followed the instructions you will have hass installed in a virtual environment which means you can’t mess it up unless you explicitly switch to that environment., What probably happened is that when you installed AppDaemon, it upgraded your requests library as part of the process. As far as I can tell, upgrading pip3 as mentioned in that article should fix the issue and allow you to upgrade AppDaemon, however I can understand your caution. In the end the choice is yours.

1 Like

Well, both upgraded pip & pip3 but both where already in latest version. Executing sudo pip3 uninstall appdaemon still gives the same error. I’m assuming @mchrisb03 should have the same issue (?)

Have another look at the thread I posted - it suggested a couple of different methods. The problem is that apt doesn’t seem to know about the latest versions yet.

Ok now working with auto-start at reboot! If others come across this error. Do:

$ sudo apt-get remove python3-pip 
$ sudo apt-get install python3-setuptools
$ sudo easy_install3 pip

Then

$ sudo pip3 uninstall appdaemon
$ sudo pip3 install .

Now to the next step to actually run/use an app…

1 Like

Excellent - glad you figured it out :slight_smile: