Apple Watch not responding with Homekit

I’ve had the private address disabled since the beginning and still get “Not Responding”, though it is infrequent, it’s just a matter of when it happens again. The ip ban is specifically for HA and logging into the front end. It does not change or affect HomeKit.

Almost 1 day… still work… :champagne:

After working for a while and even working this morning, my Apple Watch now says devices are not responding. However, my Mac and my iPhone are still working if I use Siri to turn on/off anything. HomeKit certified devices (Lutron Caseta with Pro Hub and my Ecobees) still work from the Apple Watch. The only difference between this morning when everything was working and now is my MyQ garage doors are unavailable in HA.

My theory, and so far this has been true the past few times my watch doesn’t work, is if even a single device from HA is unavailable or not responding in HomeKit, the Apple Watch thinks all devices paired through HA are not responding. If I remove the MyQ garage doors which are currently unavailable and reload HomeKit, the watch starts working again.

1 Like

I’m revisiting this – for some reason my Apple TV decided to turn itself back on as a hub. Same behavior as before on my watch, but this time though it seemed to also make HomeKit on my phone only work intermittently. Also I’m out of the house more frequently than I was 6 months ago so it will be nice to have remote access again.

@squirtbrnr I’m testing your theory about the problem being with unavailable entities. So I spent some time cleaning up my HA entities so that no unavailable entities would be exposed to HomeKit. So far so good – my watch and phone are working reliably 12 hours in even with the home hub on.

To do this, I went to Configuration → Entities, sorted by ‘Status’, then removed or disabled any not working entities. For the entities I wanted to keep but were temporarily Unavailable, I added them to the exclude_entities part of my homekit config in configuration.yaml.

homekit:
  filter:
    exclude_entities:
      - switch.unifi_poe_20_2e_5d_55_a4_83
      - switch.this_device_do_not_disturb_switch

More data points would be helpful diagnosing this. Do any of the rest of you with HomeKit problems have unavailable entities exposed by Home Assistant? If this fix holds then we might be able to come up with a way to reproduce and could open an issue.

Update: 3 days in and @squirtbrnr’s fix has made my HomeKit rock solid

Update: 2 weeks in and still rock solid. HomeKit is working better than it ever has before. Thanks @squirtbrnr for the fix! I wonder if this is a HomeKit quirk or a Home Assistant bug.

2 Likes

I was having the same problem described above: HomeKit was working just fine in the Home app on my iPhone and Mac, but always showed “No Response” on my watch. No amount of reloading the HomeKit integration ever showed any change.

Disabling the Home Hub on my AppleTV immediately fixed the issue. I wasn’t using the Home Hub functionality, so this isn’t a huge loss.

The only unavailable entities I have are several of the HA mobile app sensors that I disabled (sensor.iphone_sim_1, etc.), but I didn’t have sensors enabled for the HomeKit integration. Were you seeing trouble with unavailable entities even if they weren’t being exposed by the HomeKit integration?

Hi,

The solution I found is reset the Apple TV (my HomeKit hub) to factory settings.
After this, my Apple Watches 6 and 3 are working perfect and I can control my home remotely.

I also have this problem since the latest large apple firmware upgrade. I do not have a separate HomeKit hub (e.g. speaker, etc.) Imgp snooping and multicast is enabled.
Works fine on my phone. Needed to create a second HomeKit bridge for a second phone. However, watches say „no response“.
Any idea what I need to change?

edit
Actually switched off imgp snooping and now it seems to work. Still takes about 10 seconds for all devices to become available… any ideas?

@scolby33: have you fixed it in the meantime?

I haven’t. I actually stopped using the HomeKit integration entirely (for other reasons: it just didn’t fit my workflow very well), so I don’t have any current information on how it works.