Aqara joins Works with Home Assistant

Oh, all right, thanks, I didn’t know that. Does that mean I would also use the ZBT-1 if I wanted to use Thread? Or e.g. the Hub M3?

You can use either for Thread, however be aware that using a USB radio dongle for Thread to use with Matter for Thread-based devices is still listed as beta (i.e. experimental and not mature or stable yet), see

And

1 Like

It would be cool if this could also help with fixing old issues with all their devices!!

I don’t really understand how this works. Is Aqara going to create a proper Home Assistant integration?

If that’s not the case, then this is just a nice PR stunt? I mean, it’s good for Aqara, but not particularly useful to users.

Declaring that your Matter-certified devices work with a Matter-certified controller like Home Assistant is as useful as labeling apples “100% Vegan”.

I mean, if a device is Matter-certified it is expected to work with Home Assistant AND any other Matter-certified platform. If not, then what is the meaning of the Matter certification? :man_shrugging:

I also don’t understand the Home Assistant side. What is the meaning of “Works with Home Assistant via Matter” badge? ANY Matter-certified device should work with HA, in theory.
Also, there are scores of devices that do work with HA via one integration or another, and Aqara devices themselves already work via several other integrations: HomeKit, ZHA, Zigbee2Mqtt. Is there going to be a special badge for those too?

2 Likes

I bought 3 FP2s on a recommendation of a friend, which I have not been able to integrate, since I don’t do Home kit.
Does this announcement mean that they will now (or eventually) integrate directly into HA? Or do I need to shell out for an Award hub?

Sorry, completely new to HA and not familiar at all with how it’s all supposed to work.

Cheers

There are no issues adding FP2 to HA when not a apple user. Just install aqara app to connect the FP2 to your WiFi, close app, restart FP2 and it will show on HA as a HomeKit device. If not detecting, end aqara home app on mobile and retry.

1 Like

Can I make the lock work without the Internet/installing the app/giving Aqara my personal information?

If so, I’ll go buy a bunch right now. If not, they’re not worth owning.

I hope it means that better HA support is coming - eg. I really miss the info who unlocked (and how) the U200 lock in home assistant.

1 Like

You name exactly the reason this program exists: “In theory”. We work with the vendor to test their devices and make sure that they all work. When bugs appear, we also have an engineering contact to escalate issues. As a member of our program they also have to make OTA updates available such that we are able to get bugs fixed for Home Assistant users.

While a lot of devices work with Home Assistant, devices in the WWHA will come with extra peace of mind for the user that the device works today and that it will keep working.

8 Likes

Yes, its the first test we do in our “works with matter” program.

1 Like

The FP2 is not a Matter device on its own and you have 2 options to add it to Home Assistant:

1. Through their M3 Hub (so bridged from Aqara protocol to Matter)
  2. Using Home Assistant’s Homekit emulator, so you can add any Homekit device in Home Assistant (so without an actual apple phone, HA will pretend as if its an apple device in that case).

You report issues to the Home Assistant core repository. In this case the state not updating correctly is a known issue introduced in a recent Matter Server version and we’re working on a fix (a new beta is available which addresses the issue so we’re close).

See here for details: Matter - Device state not updating · Issue #124503 · home-assistant/core · GitHub

I have tested several of these sensors and I cant confirm what you’re saying here. Both presence and lightlevel are detected accurately and without any false positives.
The only thing I noticed is that the sensor is not as sensitive compared to e.g. a Hue motion sensor set to max sensitivity, but that is the case for most sensors tbh.

In my case it works well, and you are correct that a temperature sensor is missing but one can argue how helpful that is, measuring temperature at ceiling height.

A post was split to a new topic: Help getting Aqara devices working

Some fruit you find in the supermarket have beeswax on them to make them shiny and are therefore not 100% vegan.
There is a recent blog post dedicated to what these labels actually mean, BTW

I’m really hoping that at some point Home Assistant’s page gains a searchable database of all “Work with Home Assistant” products.

3 Likes

It looks just like a marketing gag for me. The only Aqara “device” which connects at my home to home assistant via Matter and as Homekit Device is the M3 Hub itself, which is useless.
The FP2 Presence sensor is only usable via the Homekit Bridge and the Door and Window Sensor P2 is not usable in HA. I tried it now again and again since I bought it last year and it’s impossible. Even the M3 Hub does not expose the Sensor in HA.
There are no helpful error messages and no helpful suppert. There are a few “works for me” in the forums, but most gave up annoyed.

To officially state here that the sensors work together with HomeAssistant is a cheek!

Screenshot

Aqara used the old logo and scaled the “Works with Home Assistant” image down so it’s barely readable on the door and window sensor page.

1 Like

The original post says:

And then BraVo75 states

Which is true? Can we control any Aqara Zigbee devices that are attached to an M3 Hub which is then attached to HA as a Matter Bridge? Or is what BraVo75 saying true - that the hub doesn’t actually expose all devices to HA?

I have 3 of the Door and Window Sensor P2’s connected via Thread to a ZBT-1 USB Stick, and all of them work fine. I get two entities in HA for each, one for open/closed status, the other for battery.

There are several automations configured against each, and everything works as intended, with HA reporting state changes almost instantaneously.

Are you sure you have the Matter Server add-on installed and running, along with the Matter Integration in HA?